Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Administrator
Mark_Lenovo

Re: W-series shipping thread - 2011 edition

antonius_primus,

As an official answer, I'd point to this news article with quotes from Ray Gorman, head of Lenovo's public relations.

I believe Lenovo will undertake all necessary measures to ensure our products continue to be safe.

My personal opinion is that alternative suppliers for constrained parts are routinely qualified to address supply constraints as a normal course of business.  Sometimes component suppliers have fires, or other more conventional disasters that can shut down a factory or delay production.  

Best regards,

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
twitter @lenovoforums
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Punch Card
ThePriceIsWrong

I have all the sympathy and compassion for the people of Japan and those effected by the tsunami.  Please do not misread my complaint (to follow) as insensitive or irreverent of that fact.

I placed my order on March 29th. I purchased $1000 worth of accessories and a $3000 configured version of the W520 including the 3 year premium warranty. Originally estimated to be shipped on April 11th,  I received all the accessories prior to that date. If what Im hearing is correct it seems I may be waiting until the end of May for the actual laptop?  

Im now out of the country indefinitely, which means once the laptop is delivered I have to pay $500 + any duties at the boarder to ship the laptop here or I will just have to return the laptop, buy another laptop locally and eat the $1000 in accessories which I removed from the packaging to take with me overseas. Im not even going to try to quantify the time variant in waiting for a laptop for 2 months while working on an antiquation system. Either way I lose about $1000.

Through out the process Ive not received any calls or emails from Lenovo Customer Support.  Calls to my supposed sales representative in Atlanta (i believe), when answered, were met with little to no action and surprisingly, audible annoyance with my requests for details as to what the problem was. Amazingly, my call to the outsourced call center was the only call that produced any tangible results in the form of a $100 credit and an explanation that "there is a problem with the 3D rendering and the W520s are being reconfigured". 

I understand that there are problems beyond our control in the supply chain process and its unfortunate the circumstances that revolve around this particular issue, however, customer service is something that is easily controlled. If your product quality is compromised by a supply chain issue,disseminating information to your customer base may be all that is necessary to stem the blood loss (both monetarily and customer wise).

Im still trying to decide which option I will go with but certainly if I decide to return the laptop theres little chance a Lenovo will be my next computer.

Disappointed Customer of 10 years,

Matt

T32,T34,T40,T41,T42,T62, Y560, W520(?) 

Fanfold Paper
bonervz

I don't know what to do... Most likley will cancel my order this is rediculous. Talk about trying to conceal the truth.

I ordered a w520 on 4/10 and the estimated ship was 4/25.
I have called Lenovo almost everyday since then and not one person can tell me what is happening with my order.
They can't even give me a new estimated ship date.
I was asked if I wanted to cancel my orderr or wait. Good answer.
I understand the issues they are facing with production delays, however, I am unimpressed with the level of concern that Lenovo seems to be placing on the delays.
I am sure there are many potential customers who are unaware of the problems. The estimated ship dates don't mean a thing.
I believe that Lenovo needs to place a LARGE notice on their web site stating the following....
"If you order from us we can't confirm delivery. Once an order is made we have no way of determining the status of the order nor when it will ship.
If you really need a computer within the next 2 months please visit one of our competitors."
I guess Lenovo would rather have unsatisfied customers rather than give people the truth and risk a lost sale.
I know if I knew it was going to take 8 weeks to get the computer I would have most likely looked elsewhere, but, I'm in too far to back out now.

Punch Card
ThePriceIsWrong

FYI, last week I was told my laptop would ship "the week of May 4th". My order status online doesnt reflect this but the kind woman at the outsource call center assured me of this. Other laptops W and T series are being shipped so perhaps its just a matter of supply.
Guru
ColonelONeill

I'd think Lenovo would rather lose a sale than ship glow-in-the-dark laptops.
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1080/670/1340, 21GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
Punch Card
ThePriceIsWrong

ColonelONeill, thank you for your helpful and insightful comment but no one was suggesting they expedite shipment or modify the manufacturing process in any way. Simply that they inform their customers of the situation, which up to this point has been completely absent.
Paper Tape
asakura

Louisville, KY, United States05/04/20113:50 P.M.Departure Scan

05/04/201112:20 P.M.Import Scan
Louisville, KY, United States05/03/201111:23 P.M.Warehouse entry clearance details, necessary for customs clearance, have been requested from the receiver. / Released by Clearing Agency. Now in-transit for delivery.

05/03/201111:21 P.M.Warehouse entry clearance details, necessary for customs clearance, have been requested from the receiver.

05/03/201110:40 A.M.Warehouse entry clearance details, necessary for customs clearance, have been requested from the receiver.
Louisville, KY, United States05/01/20119:54 A.M.Arrival Scan
Anchorage, AK, United States04/30/201111:41 P.M.Departure Scan

04/30/20117:11 P.M.Arrival Scan
Shanghai, China05/01/20112:53 A.M.Departure Scan
Shanghai, China04/30/201111:38 P.M.Export Scan

04/30/201111:38 P.M.Origin Scan
China04/30/20111:52 P.M.Order Processed: Ready for UPS
Fanfold Paper
bonervz

Well, I just got off the phone with Lenovo.

I ordered a w520 with an 80 Gb mSSD boot drive on 4/10. It was supposed to ship arounf 4/25. It is still in "process". I found out today that the delay is caused by supply shortage of the mSSD drives. No timeframe is known as to when the drives will be available. Has anyone else had an issue with the mSSD boot drive config?  Anyone wanting this option be warned.

Fanfold Paper
bonervz

[ Edited ]

I ordered on April 10th.   I am still waiting as of May 10th. Lenovo cannot give me an estimated ship date and online it is stuck on April 25th.

Moderator Note: Edited subject to match content.

Blue Screen Again
lookingatlenovo

[ Edited ]

I ordered 5/2 and the order shipped 5/9! So far so good...