Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
konikpk

W500 BIOS update failure

Hi all

please I need help.

I updata BIOS on my W500 and W7 x64  during update go bluescreen.

Now I can't go to BIOS, nothing. 

After start I have black screen. No beeps...

PLEASE HELP 

Community Moderator
richk

Re: W500 BIOS update failure

do you have warranty? If you do, call
Paper Tape
konikpk

No it's out of warranty.

I read many pages about some Fn+key combination to write bios from USB or CD.

I need this combination and exact procedure to write this BIOS.

What's DOS?
aggressor

I updated my BIOS in Lenovo Thinkpad W500 today using Windows 7 64-bit (SP1) and I have the same symptoms. My update completed fine and after restart there is only the black screen. I can get to BIOS after waiting like 5-10minutes and typing f1, but nothing helps there. I have tried restoring default settings, changing the display settings, removing harddisk, removing the battery and cord and pressing the power button several times etc etc. I have no idea what is the problem, like i said my update completed fine and it told to reboot after which everything is ruined. I downloaded the correct version from Lenovo homepage: http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS014148

I have no warranty left. Is there anything to be done besides replacing the motherboard?

802.11n
Jimbo

Sorry to hear about your problems. I don't work for Lenovo, and am a customer just like you.

Advanced users around here generally regard updating the bios from within Windows to be a VERY bad idea. I've seen some Lenovo employees pop up in the forum lately, telling users to do that. So go figure. You're much safer doing it from a boot CD. And never update it unless you have a very good reason to do so. You always risk turning the computer into a brick.

Some places claim to repair bios update failures, but I know nothing about that.

The resale value of the W500 is probably pretty low at this point. Check ebay. So I don't know how much it's worth to put into one of those machines.

All the laptop manufacturers are about to come out with new machines based on Intel's new Ivy Bridge processors, between the end of April through Fall, which look very interesting. Their reduction of heat produced is the most important thing that's happened with laptops since the W500 was introduced, in my opinion, and is a good reason for upgrading. Same goes for the new mid-range Kepler graphics processors from Nvidia, which will end up in many of those machines.

In any case, I wish you the best of luck.

Bit Torrent
ThorsHammer

[ Edited ]

If I were you I would download the .ISO at http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?&LegacyDocID=MIGR-70354 and attempt another update to see if you can get it corrected.

If you haven't down so already, I would remove the hard drive with your data and put a different drive in the system.  You never know, it might be the problem.

And lastly for anyone else contemplating a BIOS upgrade after a warranty expires, don't do it.

Token Ring
Chatbox

[ Edited ]

ThorsHammer wrote:

And lastly for anyone else contemplating a BIOS upgrade after a warranty expires, don't do it.

+1

People should extend the warranty prior to doing a BIOS update.

My logic goes like this.  If you need to do a BIOS update, that means you're still using your system, AND is faced with a particular issue with the currently flashed BIOS.  So, if you're still using the system, that means the work you do on it should worth something...unless you're opting for another system and don't care about the state of the thinkpad (before and after the BIOS update, regardless of the successful / failure outcome of the update).

If you don't have an issue with the current BIOS, don't update.

If you don't mind bricking (killing) the laptop, update the BIOS and don't bother with the warranty.

If you care about the laptop state after the BIOS update, get a warranty on it.

Blue Screen Again
ike81

[ Edited ]

Had the same thing happen to me today, did a fresh install of Vista x64 on W500, installed all the drivers and then did BIOS update from Windows. I know it's not as safe as doing it from boot, but couldnt be troubled with the long way. Anyways, the update of BIOS was successful and i did restart. Was greeted with the same blank screen - great I thought, read this thread and had even happier thoughts.

But then I did the only thing You always have to do once updating BIOS - clear CMOS - so i removed battery from motherboard, let it sit for minute-or-two, put everything back together and all's good. Working.

http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/43y6630_03.pdf

Checking the backup battery pg 31 - that'll do.

So, don't panic. As always. Think :smileyhappy: Hope this will save some of You from the trouble. (Above will ofcourse only apply to scenario when you have successfully updated the BIOS and get no response after restart, borked BIOS flash in WIndows i've still found no cure for).

I do not work for Lenovo. So You only have Yourselves to blame if You kill Your motherboard on disassembly. It's easy though.

Fanfold Paper
dxh8497

It could  be recovery  without any special equipment.

======================================

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/W-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/W520-Crash-during-BIOS-update-won-t-turn-on/m-...

What's DOS?
W500-4058-CTO

@ike81

Many thanks for posting this -- clearing the BIOS CMOS memory worked a charm for me.

I had done a successful BIOS update (from Win7 x86) but was left at the black screen after rebooting -- no startup.

Note: even after the BIOS/CMOS reset, the machine went through a few power-up gyrations before actually booting successfully - so just stick with it.  Keep calm and carry on :smileywink:

Cheers, Scott