Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
lwalkiew

W500 Black Screen

Hi,

I had a problem with switching to ATI FireGL V5700 after using Intel, so I read some info on the forum and did accordingly to  suggestions in the previous posts I just went into the BIOS and selected Discrete graphics and disabled Switchable Graphics detection by OS.

After reboot I have a black screen and nothing more... what is going on? Can I somehow go back to Intel in order to copy data before I will send this black box to service.

I would really appreciate any advice on my problem. Help!

Thnx,

Lw

Punch Card
peri

Re: W500 Black Screen

Hello Iwalkiew,

Same problem, switched my 2.0 bios to descrete graphics, it turned on but when I tried to right click the CCC I have the same old message that says CCC cannot run because the active  GPU is not supported. I downloaded a couple of updates through ThinkVantage. Downloaded and installed it over night. My media players started working again. But the CCC still wont run. I have no idea how can I turn the ATI on. Just got this system a month ago, and I'm using it mainly on Adobe Photoshop and Premier Pro.

Thinkpad W500 4058 CTO/ 4gig ram/500 gig 7200 rpm/ windows 7 professional 64.
802.11n
lukaszsw

Are you able to access bios again or is it black all the way? If its black I could only recommend trying to navigate bios blindly and switch back to switchable. You only need to turn Os detection 'on' and intel card will be detected.

I reckon you were using Intel card before using bios switch, right? That would mean the computer is trying to use graphics adapter that is disabled.  The switch changes the device ID and the drivers in use are gone instantly (at least for the system).

--
T540 i7 4700MQ, GT 730M, 8GB RAM, Win7
Ctrl-Alt-Del
lwalkiew

Hi, Thanks for tip lukaszw

This is what I did after submitting my post. I just tried blindly to bring BIOS defaults. 

Power button, then Think Vantage button, then F1 button, F9 button and Enter, F10 button and Enter and finally I had display working again.

I was not using Internal in BIOS before this accident.

I guess there is something wrong with GPU and it will need repair. I found that some W500 users had the same issue:

http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=71510

Doesn't look good for Lenovo...My old T60p is up and running for 2 years and brand new laptop has already a hardware failure after few months....

Thanks

Ctrl-Alt-Del
lwalkiew

I have one more question about BIOS Default Primary Video Device in W500.

What does this switch do? If I will select Internal or PCI?

Maybe someone  knows why my screen went black after selecting Discrete graphics in BIOS and disabling OS Detection?

Cheers,

LW

Paper Tape
w500sufferer

Hello all and hope someone might be able to help!

I have a w500 with the same issue. in trying to resolve things I attempted to set the graphics in hthe bios. I tried navigating as above but I am guessing given how old the post is, that our. Bios version is different. I think I am on the latest or present latest, and definitely recall using the cursor keys to get to the settings.

Can anyone with a recent bios tell me the steps so I can navigate it blindly and hopefully get things working again? if you know of other methods that would be great too...this is just the only reasonable one I have seen.

Thank you in advance!
Paper Tape
lentemarton

Dear w500sufferer,

I've the same problem and I see that your post is current. So I thought I ask you if you have found any solution for the issue? My screen just turned black from one day to another, quite mistifically. I tried a complete OS reinstall (to a sooner state which worked before), however it could not even solve the problem, same thing happens now. Have you found any solution? Thanks!

Paper Tape
lentemarton

Hello,

I've very good news! :smileyhappy: I know the solution that works for the misterious ThikPad W500 "black screen" issue (at least for me after more hours of searching). So all you have to do is to get a BIOS update to the most current version (which is 3.23/3.25). You can do this by using a software called BIOS Update Utility for ... here. Have your cultic video card back! :smileywink:

Good luck,

Márton

Paper Tape
w500sufferer

Hi, I am on Win 7 64-bit if you were asking about OS.

I think we have/had different issues. My bios is already the version you mention actually, and I guess you can at least see your card in device manager?

I managed to halfway resolve my issue by doing a hard reset of the bios, by taking out the backup battery for 20 mins.

That has brought my laptop back to life, but I still cant get the firegl card to work.

For background i should explain that I dont know when it stopped working, it was only when i recently did re-run of the windows experience index test, that I noticed the problem.

For anyone reading this, this is what I have found so far:

1- in device manager the firegl card is not found and not detected when scanning for new hardware.

2- I cannot install the lenovo driver, as you need to be on performance mode already to install it.

3- I cannot get into performance mode, as the menu items don't exists as they should. They used to but I was unable to switch unable to switch, getting a msg along the lines of " you need to disconnect any external monitor etc" even with nothing connected.

4- If I try to set it via the bios, I get the black screen - I have tried that with both the "OS detect" option, which has familiarized me with opening up my TP....

I really don't know what I can do? Having read the forums, it seems the gpu might just be dead. Does anybody know a way of checking this?

I'd hate for that to be the case, as I was just thinking of upgrading my ram so I can make further use of it...Any ideas are most welcome!

I love this pc despite my username - which was created under duress lol!

Thanks!

Tasurinchi
Topics: 3
Kudos: 397
Solutions: 128

w500sufferer wrote:

I really don't know what I can do? Having read the forums, it seems the gpu might just be dead. Does anybody know a way of checking this? 

From the symptoms you describe it looks like the discrete GPU card is defective. The only (permanent) fix is to find a replacement board. I'm reading more and more failures like this lately.

To keep using your laptop you can switch the graphics to "integrated" in the BIOS.

/L40SX/240/240X/2*340CSE/360PE/365XD/380D/380E/380XD/380Z/390/560E/560X/2*570/2*600/600E/750Cs/755C/760CD/760EL/760XD/770E/A20p/A22p
A31/i1600/G40/R50p/R61i/S30/2*T22/4*T4x/11*T6x/4*T400/6*T5x0/3*W5x0/W700/3*X2x/4*X3x/3*X4x/5*X6x/3*X6xT/7*X2xx/2*X200T/4*X30x/Z60m/Z61m/Z61p/Z61t

Español Comunidad en Español  English English Community  Deutsche Deutsche Community   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Untitled-4.png