Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
Eddyhawk

W500: Cloning Hard Drive

[ Edited ]

I have tried using hdclone from Miray software but it wants "exclusive access" in order to run.  There is no reference in Lenovo or Microsoft help to "exclusive access".  Happy to try something else if anyone has been successful.  Current system is W500 with Vista Ultimate and 125GB  7200RPM drive (Hitachi).  new drive is 325GB 7200RPM (also Hitachi) that is in the ultrabay.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Moderator note: Type added to subject line for clarity.

Message Edited by Agotthelf on 28-04-2009 08:38 AM
Fanfold Paper
gidder

Re: Cloning Hard Drive

i have the same setup as you except for the ultrabay. i was going to get the ultrabay but couldnt get any cloning software to boot from usb so gave up. yeah you could try acronis which they say works from windows but i like doing raw bit for bit cloning. i ended up using clonzilla booting from a cd in the dvd drive with the source drive in a caddy connected via usb. it wont work the other way around. clonezilla is very confusing to use as the gui sucks but it worked perfectly.

would have prefered ghost 2003 which ive used for years on vista sata cloning but just couldnt get the w500 to recognize the disk connected via usb

thought id help out as no one else replied.

if you need more help ill try to check back soon

gan
Topics: 4
Kudos: 110
Solutions: 108

gidder wrote:

i have the same setup as you except for the ultrabay. i was going to get the ultrabay but couldnt get any cloning software to boot from usb so gave up. yeah you could try acronis which they say works from windows but i like doing raw bit for bit cloning.

Acronis can do the same thing with a sector by sector copy, but the result will basically be the same except the sector by sector copy will take up the same amount of space as your harddrive even if the disk is empty. Using Acronis to create a copy of a partition or the complete harddisk from Windows works great for me.

Retired Guru
ortegaluis

A second option would be to use Easeus Disk Copy. It will do a sector-to-sector clone [just like Acronis. However, this is a bootable CD with an extremely easy user interface.

\\ I do not respond to PM regarding individual tech support. Keep discussions in the forum for the benefit of others //
Paper Tape
PianoPlayer_n

Re: W500: Cloning Hard Drive

I thank all those who contributed to this topic; without their comments, I would not have been able to clone to a higher capacity drive.  As it was, this job took a great deal of time.   Surely there are other ways to do it, but here is what I did. To successfully clone my original drive, I used both Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 and Acronis True Image Home 2009.

1) I installed the new, "raw" (OEM) drive in an external enclosure and tried connecting using eSATA.  The drive could not be found because it was not partitioined.  I also tried connecting using USB, with the same result.

2) I made a CD-R Acronis Boot Disk, put the raw drive into the W500, booted from the Acronis Boot Disk, and created a partition on the "raw" drive.

3) I switched the drives back.

4) The W500's drive has 3 partitions:  C, Q, and S, and this is possibly a problem for True Image.

5) I tried to clone the W500's drive to the new drive, using the "proportional" transfer method.  This did not work for me.  Acronis's "Manual" transfer method also did not work for me.  What did work was "As is," which is the bit-for-bit transfer method mentioned by other contributors (thank you!).

6) My first attempt at bit-for-bit transfer was ruined because I didn't think to remove all power-saving options.  Once these were set to "never," True Image was free to run without practical limit.  I don't know how long the transfer took because after a couple of hours I quit for the night.  When I checked in the morning, the cloning transfer was complete.  Subjectively, bit-for-bit cloning seems even slower than low-level hard drive formatting.

7) When I swapped-in the new drive, the first completely successful boot (there were a couple of unsuccessful ones for which I did nothing special--just rebooted) offered me the opportunity to make backup DVDs, which I took.  This was something I had been wanting to do, but had not seen how.

8) Once I was done making the backup DVD's, I used Disk Director Suite to incorporate the unallocated space on the new drive into my existing "data" partition.

My system:  W500, Vista x64 Business, 4GB ram, 7200 RPM 320 GB Fujitsu (subjectively, the 7200 RPM smaller Hitachi was a little quieter).

Was this worth the trouble?  For me I think it was, but there is a case to be made for simply getting a couple of high capacity USB thumb drives, or putting a 2.5" drive into an enclosure and connecting via eSATA (I use an inexpensive 2-port CardBus card as an eSATA input socket).  There are a number of quite nice little enclosures on the market, now.

Paper Tape
Eddyhawk

As the original poster, my appreciation for everyones input.  I successfully cloned my drive today.  Used Easeus cloning software and an external adaptor for the new hard drive from Apricorn that plugged into a USB port.  Process was basically plug and play and worked perfectly.  Put new drive in machine and it booted up.  I then used Easeus partition master to expand C partition to use remainder of disk.  Instructions were clear.  W500 recognizes the resized partition.  Anyone want to borrow the Apricorn hardware let me know and I will ship it to you.  Just send back when you are done.

The only question remaining has nothing to do with cloning but why even sell a 125gb drive when the preloaded software uses up more than half of it.  Perhaps there is another follow on question and that is why does Lenovo not say in any of their literature (that i read) that this is a basically useless purchase?

Token Ring
JimW700

Does anyone know whether or not Ghost will properly clone the Lenovo supplied C drive with all three partitions?
What's DOS?
LenS

I have followed the same procedure but my new disk won't boot. Any ideas about steps I might need to do?
Paper Tape
PianoPlayer_n