Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
SCSI Port
MacGyverRick
Accepted Solution

W500 External monitor refresh rate above 60Hz?

Good Day,

Problem:

Changing the external display refresh rate to anything higher than 60Hz has no effect...

Details:

With Extend my Windows desktop turned on, I'm running screen resolutions 1920x1200 on ThinkPad and 1600x1200 on external CRT, using the laptop VGA display port.

Changing refresh rate from 60Hz to 75Hz is accepted when I press Apply, but the output is still 60Hz. 

Changing the refresh rate to 70Hz or 85Hz (max for my CRT at that res) has no effect either.

I've rebooted the ThinkPad and changed the video in the BIOS to the Intel chipset. Happily, I can operate the extended desktop at 1600x1200 @ 75Hz. 

But I need (and expect) the more powerful ATI to work for my apps!

Back on 'ATI mode', I scanned for driver updates on the Lenovo website, and Googled for at-my-own-risk video driver updates for this ATI FireGL V5700. Stopping myself, I returned to this forum and searched for refresh rate keywords, found other interesting info, but no answers.

Perhaps the ATI video card could run higher refresh rate with lower resolution? so I changed the external display resolution to 1024x768 and changed the refresh from 60 to everthing higher, but no.... it didn't work.........

I CAN change the refresh to 50Hz haha, that works. But it's silly.

Why can't I get a higher refresh rate from the ATI V5700?

System:

4058-CTO Intel Core2 Duo 3.06Ghz, 3GB, WUXGA

ATI Mobility FireGL V5700 512mb

Video Driver: 8.633.0.0 (2009-07-10) according to Display Properties

Video Driver: 6.14.10.6973 (ati2dvag.dll) according to System Information

BIOS: LENOVO 7VET81WW (3.11) 2009-11-19

reimaged to Win XP Pro SP3

Regards,

Rick

Rick
W500 4058-CTO WinXP
Paper Tape
John_S

Re: W500 External monitor refresh rate above 60Hz?

Don't know if this will work for you and I"m no expert on this topic, but some how I stumbled on to getting the higher refresh rate via the ATII Catalyst Control Center (CCC) in Advanced Mode.   Once there, I went to:   Monitor Properties -> Attributes.    Once on the Attributes menu, I  unchecked "Use Extended Display ID or driver Defaults"   and then set the Max Resolution to 1600x1200 and Max Refresh Rate to 85 Hz.     Then I was able to set 85 Hz on the following menu from the ATI CCC :  Display Manager -> Display Properties.   

Hope you have some luck too!

John

SCSI Port
MacGyverRick

Re: W500 Ext monitor refresh above 60Hz?; Now: CCC not support currently active graphics processor

Thx John, before reading ur post, I went ahead and uninstalled ATI CCC, saved my registry, ran RegCleaner, to analyze each detection of ATI as appropriate before cleaning only ATI artifacts, installed ATI Tray Tools, (i think version 5-22-07) but that ATI TrayTool didn't have the Extended monitor control I needed. Then I read your post and it convinced me to get ATI CCC again. Soooo.... out went ATI TT and back went ATI CCC.

Running ATI CCC gives a popup:

[Catalyst Control Center Notification]

The features in the ATI Catalyst Control Center Basic View do not support the currently active graphics processor.

To Launch the Advanced View, click on the Advanced View button.

Otherwise, click Exit to close this dialog

<Advanced View> < Exit>

Advanced View has no effect.

Relevant or not, I recognize the following are running:

C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CCC.exe

C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\MOM.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe (ATI HotKey Poller)

Killing them then restarting CCC still presents that CCC Notification, unfazed.

Video Driver still shows version 8.633.0.0

Then I uninstalled, one-at-a-time, using Add/Remove Programs: ATI Catalyst Control Center (showing as version 2.009.0710.1126 in Suppor tInfo box), ATI Software Uninstall Utility (showing as version 6.14.10.1022 in Support Info box), then ATI Display Driver (showing as version 8.633-090710a-085325C-Lenovo in Support Info box), rebooting as required. According to my messy notes, I did one or possibly all three removals while running Intel Graphics. Then I downloaded and ran DriverSweeper v2.1.0 from guru3d, as clearing the registry of ATI fragments is a popular issue and recommended in other forums. The registry finds were relevant, and cleaned. According to some forum threads, the sequence of installing driver then CCC or CCC then driver is sometimes the solution. I tried driver first then CCC, but no go. I tried CCC first, and the Lenovo package installs the driver 'automatically'. I tried with installing FireGL and Net 2.0 and tried with deselecting FireGL and Net2.0, which i think doesn't matter. I could not find ATI CCC standalone (yet), except ver 10.1 but for Raedon cards.

When doing a manual driver install I want to be sure Windows is looking in the right spot. With video driver removed, the video driver properties is called "VgaSave". When I install new Hardware I pick "Have Disk" and point to C:\drivers\WIN\DISPLAY\Driver\XP_INF\CX_85325.inf which came from the Lenovo website in the package 7yd124ww.exe.  When Installing CCC, i run C:\drivers\WIN\DISPLAY\setup.exe which also came from the same package. This ATI Software Setup installs driver, FireGL, Net2.0, CCC and see preinstall -  branding  - core - graphics -  lite - full - skins - localization - help - utility...  parts get installed. I have to reboot again <yawn!> and STILL get "The features in the ATI Catalyst Control Center Basic View do not support the currently active graphics processor." when starting CCC, "C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CLI.exe" Start CCC.

What step(s??) am I missing?

Many thanks...

Rick

Rick
W500 4058-CTO WinXP
SCSI Port
MacGyverRick

Re: W500 Ext monitor refresh above 60Hz?; Now: CCC not support currently active graphics processor

Well, I still can't get ATI CCC to run and still can't run the external display above 60Hz. All this rebooting is tiresome.

Rick

Rick
W500 4058-CTO WinXP
SCSI Port
MacGyverRick

Re: W500 External monitor refresh rate above 60Hz?

Hey John, After all this time, I was able to apply your steps. And it works! :smileyvery-happy:

I had to get (finally!) the ATI Catalyst Control Centre to work again http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/W-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/ATI-Catalyst-Control-Center-Basic-View-do-not-...  and then followed your written experience.

Now to see if this CCC can fix the video playback freezing. http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-and-U-series-Laptops/YouTube-fullscreen-freezing/m-p/219328#M2... :smileysad:

Thanks!

Rick
W500 4058-CTO WinXP
What's DOS?
Paulius_J

External monitor refresh rate

Thank you so much for this tutorial John_S, i just bought ATI graphics card and i had the same problem, if it wasn't for you i would still be searching for advices, thank you.

Thanks for starting this topic MacGyverRick.

If you ever need some help with desktop computer hardware ask me, i am more of hardware type.