Support in other languages: 
Blue Screen Again
ilgmm09

W500 FireGL V5700 Graphics Driver Problems (Black Screen)

[ Edited ]

Hello

I have a w500, with WIndows 7, 2.53 GHz Core 2 Duo (32 bit system) with 3 GB of RAM.

Last month I did a Windows Update and installed "ATI Technologies Inc. -Display - ATI Mobility FireGL V5700" update. After that, my computer hasn't been able to detect the graphics driver correctly. When I install the graphics driver update, I get a black screen after the Windows Logo. I can hear the Windows tune in the background so I know at least the the computer is fine. So I then did a system restore to uninstall the update. This temporarily fixes the problem where I can get into Windows 7. 

In device manager, I get ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 shown under Display Drivers. I have the FireGL v5700 card. The computer has no problems recognizing the Intel Card. So far, the only solution I came up with was not install the update...but it reduces the capability of my computer since I will need it for CAD. 

I have tried the lenovo system update, and installing an older driver from the lenovo website...still get the same issue. 

I would appreciate it if someone would be able to help me out.

Thank a lot.

What's DOS?
Joker132

Re: W500 FireGL V5700 Graphics Driver Problems (Black Screen)

Hi guys!

I'm new to this forum but i think I'm right here^^

I also use the same notebook and also have the same problem since like around beginning of june or end of may maybe... whenever i try to install the driver for the firegl v5700 i get either a bluescreen or a blackscreen. I never had problems with my w500 until now and im super happy to have it but its really annoying for me to have this problem since whenever my w500 crashes i have to set up windows completely new and i always have to save my data with a linux live cd or similar stuff. the biggest problem though is that i get a driver problem message every once in a week or so and so I have to set my windows up every weekend... not really the best solution for the problem.

I also would really appreciate it if someone could tell me what to do.

Thank you guys :smileyhappy:

Token Ring
mjdl

This is just a guess, but your problem(s) sound like the Lenovo video drivers for your hardware have been mixed up with the Microsoft Update "generic" drivers for similar, but not identical hardware (the ATI Radeon HD). Somehow the Microsoft Update system detected the Radeon and offered you the update--it should not done so.

Here's what I'd try: 1) Uninstall all the graphics drivers that are listed in the Windows control panel. You'll probably have to restart the computer. 2) If Windows "automatically" installs some kind of graphics driver after the restart, go into the hardware manager (find by right-clicking the "Computer" icon on your desktop and selecting "Manage", navigate to the "Device Manager" node, and right click on the "Display Adapter" and make sure that the only graphics driver is the "Generic VGA" one--I can't remember what it's actually called. If something else is there, press on the "Uninstall" button--you'll probably have to restart again. 3) Download the full Lenovo/ATI custom driver package for the W500 from the support.lenovo.com website, makeing sure you get the right 32- or 64-bit version, and install it. 4) Once you've rebooted, see if the same black scren problem occurs.

If it does, then the other possibility (other than hardware problems) is a known problem in early models of the W500: the BIOS version of your W500 is too old for the current Lenovo graphics driver, you need to update to the most recent one using the Lenovo "System Update" application after removing the Lenovo/ATI video drivers.

Anyway, that's all I can think of. What's certain is that under no circumstances should Microsoft Update offer you a video driver update.

What's DOS?
Joker132

Hey again...

I tried everything you said that could be and it somehow worked as far that i didnt get any bluescreens... but still i dont have any driver installed for the v5700... in the device manager it still says hd 3650 series. when i tried to install the driver from the lenovo page all the catalyst driver installer said was that there already is the newest version installed. then the laptop restarted but there is no sign of any new installed driver... no catalyst control center or anything. the normal intel graphics card seems to work though but its not really a solution because i still cant use any CAD programs...

maybe there is another solution... 

Token Ring
mjdl

At this point, in order to save time, I would make double sure that you have a full backup of all your files and program licenses (make sure that you uninstall professionalprograms that connect to a license manager on the Internet to count activations), and use your factory Restore disks to create a new clean out-of-the-box system on your harddisk. Make sure that you don't connect to the Internet or configure Microsoft Updates to automatically install updates at the end of the reinstallation!

Then, once you boot and login into your new system, use the Lenovo "System Update" program to systematically install *all* Lenovo updates to system programs, but leave the Lenovo/ATI graphics drivers until the last, since they depend on the Power Manager drivers and programs.

Only with a clean system will you really know what works and does not work.

Only when you are satisfied that the system functions normally should you enable Microsoft Update: choose the option to automatically *list* (not Install!) required updates. Select the ones you want installed. If Microsoft Update still lists a graphics driver update (ATI or Intel), use the context menu on that item in the updates lists to hide it and don't install it.

At this point you may want to do what I do: create a DVD backup of this fully updated empty-but-clean functioning system which has chewed up so many hours of work!

Then start restoring your programs and files to reach a fully customized system.
What's DOS?
c1pher

Hi, I had similar issue. I 've connected the laptop to the external monitor. I changed the graphics card settings from automatic to manual. I have adjusted the resolution screen, switched in between laptop and external monitor. It started to work.. and it works till today... that driver is crap :smileyhappy: .. hope this helps

What's DOS?
NAsandi

Hi..

I had this problem too after I reformated my W500. But after upgrading the graphic driver following step from mjdl, the problem is solved.

But i still have problem with my CAD software. I use Rhinoceros V4SR9. And I have W500 4062-27U, Win7Pro 64-bit, Intel Core2 Duo, CPU T9600 2,8GHz, 4GB RAM.

The software was running well, until I reformated it.

After reformat and reinstall Rhino, the software seems running well. But when I make a dimension or text, the dimension and text are not appear. I just can see the dimension line and arrows. And on the left bottom of the screen then showing "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"

I wish somebody here can give me a clue.

Thanks a lot.

Blue Screen Again
ilgmm09

[ Edited ]

I tried  a LOT of things for MANY days. Still cant fix this thing. I am also having trouble with my PCI drivers. So I am thinking it has something to do with that.

I have tried to install XP, and even 8. Updated the BIOS still doesnt work (havent done the latest one out now but the one before that one doesnt help). I have tried going into the BIOS and changing settings...not working. Tried manually installing the driver...just says the install is complete but catalyst isnt installing when I go into control panel.

Luckily, the integrated is working so I can still use the computer. 

Still looking for the fix, Lenovo.

If someone has fixed this issue I would really appreciate it if someone would post it up. 

Thanks

Token Ring
Wendel

You have 3 driver choices:ATI discrete only, Intel only and Switchable. I would go into the BIOS and set the Display to Integrated (Intel chip only) and make sure the OS detection is disabled. Then reboot and remove all video drivers. Download the Intel only video driver from Lenovo. Reboot again and hopefully if you removed any and all video drivers you'll have a Microsoft generic video driver. Now install the Intel and see if that works. If it does and you need the ATI video power, repeat the above with the appropriate BIOS settings. See if that is a start.