Support in other languages: 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
blebnik

W500 Service problem

[ Edited ]

First of all, my notebook is a W500 4058, Core2 t9400 and 2GB of DDR3 ram (2 sticks). I bought it while beeing on a trip in the USA, and now I'm in Poland, so I have to deal with the local lenovo service.

It's about a month since I sent my notebook for warranty service. When system is under heavy load (both cores) for a while the program causing the load crashes (NetBeans - javac under vista64, and gcc under linux). I've also noticed problem with prime95 (under vista64 and winxp) - after 10 seconds it finishes tests and the message is "FATAL ERROR" and theres a suggestion to check the hardware.

Today a service person called, and told me that prime95 crashes on my mashine when two memory banks are used, but it works when using only one bank. He asked me if I am sure that prime95 should run on such new setup, and this happens on the original and after replacing motherboard, also with different memory set - and I think there should be no problem - because there should be no difference for the software whether its both or only one bank used. He also mentioned that PC-Doctor tests all run fine on both motherboards.

Now, I am a little bit confused - what can be wrong? Should I tell him to order a third motherboard? What can be the cause of such problem?

photo presenting the problem: photo of prime95

Message Edited by blebnik on 02-09-2009 07:09 AM
Message Edited by blebnik on 02-09-2009 07:12 AM
Fanfold Paper
vw_tdi

Re: W500 Service problem

Has the technician tried replacing the CPU or just the motherboard?  10 seconds shouldn't be enough time to overheat a component unless there's a severe problem with the HSF, but he may want to look into that as well.
Ctrl-Alt-Del
blebnik

[ Edited ]

There's something very wrong with lenovo service in Poland. Details:

I've told them to call me when they're done, and suprise - suprise I've received my w500 yesterday without any prior calls. They attached "repair details" report and it stated that I've sent them machine with "scratches on casing", and "marks on LCD" - the machine was almost brand new with no marks or anything, thankfully I noticed only one scratch near the keybord (it was made during the "repairs" ). It turns out that they replaced the motherboard and one memory module, and it works, prime95, 3dmark no crashes or simmilar problems.

The thing that bothers me: After closer inspection of my machine, I noticed  that the heat sink is quite a bit distorted:

Heat sink picture

and it wories me, that if something goes wrong, they will tell me that its physical damage and it was caused by me.I'm goind to call lenovo, not the technician direcly, and speak to someone who is more important there, because this is not a service I would expect from lenovo. Also - they restored my system with vista32 - it was oryginally vista64... So it's legal or the authorized service promotes piracy?

Summing things up: don't service anyting at lenovo Poland - it's horrible experience.

Message Edited by blebnik on 02-14-2009 11:54 AM
Fanfold Paper
vw_tdi

There's something very wrong with Lenovo service in here in the U.S., too.  I just recently sent mine in as well and it was only about a month old.  Luckily I took pictures of my notebook before sending it to Lenovo because they sent it back scratched, assembled improperly, with non working wifi, a damaged fan, and covered in some type of smelly, greasy foreign substance.  I promptly sent it back to be fixed and it's now on 'parts hold'.  I'll be asking for a replacement notebook.

Thus far, at least in my case, Lenovo's customer service doesn't seem to care that their service is terrible, but hopefully you'll have better luck than I have had.  Tell the customer service rep. to file a complaint on your behalf.  That's the only thing that got my case moving at all.  Lenovo really has to start taking responsibility for the terrible service their depot provides.  I'm sure the reimaging of the hard drive to the wrong OS was a mistake, not an attempt to promote piracy, but it still shows how incompetent the technicians are.

Lenovo builds nice machines, but their service is just terrible.