Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Blue Screen Again
mantice

W500 using Windows XP 64bit (server 2003 core)

Have anyone uses winxp 64bit?  Its probabily the best 64bit alternation to Vista and Linux.  I called Lenovo before and because they do not offer such OS, they said they will not support it at all.

I clean install twice, and learn I can install everything correctly except:

(1) Intel AMT driver won't work (no driver for it - disable via BIOS).  Intel Management module work ok.

(2) ATI V5700 works ok if using FireGL driver from ati.com, but needs to force-mod it (let it recongize GPU signature)

(3) Sound driver install ok (Device Manager show no error at all), but no sound (so actually install not ok) - "No Audio Devices" under Control Panel/Sound....  Note that I tried several solution on net and confirm its driver's problem.  The driver uses was intended for Vista 64.

(4) Very dull screen.  Looks significantly darker compare to Vista.  I am unsure how this happened because it should be software independent.  When I use Lenovo's Winxp 32bit recovery cd the fully-configured XP-32 OS screen still look darker than on Vista.

I am seriously thinking about Linux if I cannot find solution, particular (2) and (3).

Any thoughts?

community supermod
erik

Re: W500 using Windows XP 64bit (server 2003 core)

while a good OS, XP x64 has the least amount of driver support available.   your best bet is to try vista x64 drivers and XP x86 drivers if you can't get something to work.   lenovo has never supported XP x64 on thinkpads so you're on your own (with help of the forum, of course) in getting it to work.

ThinkStation C20Microsoft MVP
ThinkPad X1C · X220 · X60T · s30

Blue Screen Again
mantice

Yes, very best OS indeed if stability and performance are two main priority.  From Linux forum I see there's less driver trouble (except maybe graphic) but my best bet is to get winxp 64 to work for best compatibility for existing CAD software already avaliable.

That's why I post it on this forum.

Serial Port
ZPrime

Why not try Vista x64?  It should run nearly everything and all of the drivers install OK.  The only apps that won't work on x64 are 16-bit programs, but if you have something THAT old it can probably run fine in a VM or something...
Blue Screen Again
mantice

Hello:

Not to raise any controversy; I bought this computer for both personal and business use - therefore it's all personal expense.  I always want the hardware/software to work flawlessly without much of the bloatware or force-install services/software.  (those extra processes running in the backgroud on Vista are just rediculously inefficient as well as strickly microsoft bloatware dependent)  This is what Vista is good at.

If my company spents the money on it, I will not care.

If this is my computer, I want the performance to be excellent especially on graphic creating/modifying performances.  So far Ubuntu 64 run like a dream right now with the only exception of unable to use switchable graphic. 

It will take minimum of 1 years from now for Vista to at least stable its infrastructure (still resource honk).  Before that hopefully I would use XP 64 flawlessly.

Fanfold Paper
Macfreak

On Windows Server 2003, you have to enable the audio services. Go to services in Adminstrative Tools in the control panel, and set the service "Windows Audio" to automatic.
W500 - Win 2003 SBS Srv
Punch Card
xpnet

How do you do the "force-mod ATI V5700"? I'm sure a few people here (Especially Cad people) would like to know how this is done.

Blue Screen Again
mantice

Thanks Macfreak, I will try that out but not sure if I already tried that or not.

As for force-mode, you may type "mobility modder" on google and it should point it to a tiny .net program that will modify any recent installer you download from web. Personally it only modify the installer and not the driver itself but you do it at your own risk. It worked for me before I switched to Ubuntu
Punch Card
xpnet

I couldn't find it, but if we could uninstall the "ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650" drivers wouldn't windows then only see the correct drivers? That way we wouldn't have to wait for a BIOS patch?

Blue Screen Again
mantice

Because Bios itself is wrong, so without a bios fix uninstalling driver won't do any good.

As for the mod....I am not sure if I can post such software link here because its a user-modify software that is not supported at all.  Try "ati modder" on google and it should be the first link.