Support in other languages: 
SO
Paper Tape
SO

W510 BIOS USB 3.0 support

Any ideas whey the BIOS system is only showing a USB 1.1 HDD as one of the boot devices during startup when an Icy Box USB 3.0 enclosure with a SATA disk drive is attached to the system?

It appears as if there is no proper USB 3.0 support in the BIOS.

System: Lenovo W510
BIOS version string: 6NET49WW (1.12)
Date: 22/2/2010

Thanks!

Blue Screen Again
tobyg

Re: W510 BIOS USB 3.0 support

That makes sense.  The USB 3.0 on the W510 is not integrated into the chipset, it's an NEC chip.  Much like adding a SCSI adapter to your system back in the day, in order for that to boot the SCSI adapter would have to provide it's own BIOS and I doubt the NEC adapter would have that.  The NEC USB 3.0 ports on a W510 are likely not bootable.  In fact, I've read many people having problems just turning on their system and booting their system if they have any devices plugged into the USB 3.0 ports.

SO
Paper Tape
SO

Thank-you for your reply. I was hoping I would be able to boot from that USB 3.0 enclosure. The BIOS does however offer me the drive as an option to boot from during startup. Getting some fantastic speeds when using the drive with Windows 7, around 60 MB/sec.

Blue Screen Again
tobyg

If that's the case, then it may be bootable.  Last I knew, Windows itself couldn't run from USB.  I know you can install Windows 7 from USB, but I don't think you can install it to a USB device and run from that.  You should be able to boot from the eSATA port, which should be as fast and possibly faster than USB 3.0.  The downside is it requires a power cable and eSATA cable.  But Windows 7 will boot from the eSATA port.  You may have to change the SATA mode in the bios from AHCI to Compatibility to allow booting though.