Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Token Ring
xtsubarublazin

W510 BIOS update

I have put off flashing my BIOS for a long time (didn't want to fry my system board as so many others have done) but now I'd like to give it a shot because I think the outdated BIOS is responsible for some odd behavior.

I figured I'd run System Update and actually run the BIOS update it always tries to give me, but TVSU doesn't show a BIOS update available anymore. Why would that be? I would rather run the BIOS update through System Update than download it directly (seems safer) but maybe I'm wrong. Could I just download it directly and circumvent TVSU?

Bit Torrent
ThorsHammer

Re: W510 BIOS update

xtsubarublazin wrote:

I have put off flashing my BIOS for a long time (didn't want to fry my system board as so many others have done) but now I'd like to give it a shot because I think the outdated BIOS is responsible for some odd behavior.

I figured I'd run System Update and actually run the BIOS update it always tries to give me, but TVSU doesn't show a BIOS update available anymore. Why would that be? I would rather run the BIOS update through System Update than download it directly (seems safer) but maybe I'm wrong. Could I just download it directly and circumvent TVSU?

I would never flash a BIOS via TVSU.  I always download the .ISO and burn a CD.

Is your machine still under warranty?  If not, don't fix it if it isn't broken.

Token Ring
xtsubarublazin

Are there any special steps to downloading and burning the ISO file? 

The machine is under warranty still and I'm prepared to have it sent off it the flashing fails (50% chance?). But I'm having issues that I think are related to my outdated BIOS so it's worth a try to me.

Guru
ExJamJus

As ThorHammer's comment. If your W510 is working fine then there is no need to update the BIOS.

You can download the ISO BIOS directly from the support site and burn it to a bootable disc using software such as ImgBurn. Once that is done, pop it into your DVD drive and boot the laptop normally. If you do not have DVD rom at the first boot priority then you would need to boot into BIOS first and change that then save and reboot
*Non Lenovo employee*

I have a Y2P (i5) ... Feel free to ping me if you want me to test some applications with your Y2P if you have the same model. I don't mind keep doing recovery on it if needed .... =)
Token Ring
xtsubarublazin

As I said, my machine was exhibiting problems addressed by later BIOS updates. So I flashed it last night. Guess what?

Mobo is fried. Tech comes out tomorrow.
Guru
ExJamJus

I've flashed dozens of ThinkPads and Ideapads, never manage to fried any.

What happened? You did it the exe way or ISO way?

Did you reboot your laptop before you flash the BIOS? Was any anitivirus software running at the point you were flashing the BIOS?
*Non Lenovo employee*

I have a Y2P (i5) ... Feel free to ping me if you want me to test some applications with your Y2P if you have the same model. I don't mind keep doing recovery on it if needed .... =)
Token Ring
xtsubarublazin

[ Edited ]

Cool, but have you flashed a W510? They really have a knack for this, do a search for BIOS update in this forum and you'll see tons of examples of people experiencing what I just did - following instructions, but the machine just dies after a reboot.

Anyway, I downloaded BIOS 1.41 and burned it as a bootable ISO using MagicISO. After changing boot order, it booted from CD and ran the BIOS update successfully. I got to a page that said "either leave CD in, reboot, let the CD come back to this page, then eject CD and reboot; or take CD out now, reboot, and change boot order and boot into OS." So I did the latter (seemed less redundant), I ejected the CD, and hit "enter" to reboot. It rebooted, and I hit F1 to enter BIOS setup in an effort to change the boot order, but it froze at "entering BIOS setup." I left it for a long while, then I was forced to pull the plug.

Since then, when trying to boot (on either battery or AC) the bluetooth light comes on, as does the ThinkLight, and CAPS and power button, but then they all turn off except the power light, and nothing else happens. Nothing on the screen. The fan and harddrive run but the HDD access light never blnks. 

I do have antivirus, but how does that affect BIOS? The operating system isn't even active during BIOS operations is it?

Tech support had me verify it wasn't a static buildup by doing the discharge procedure. They confirmed the BIOS update went wrong and were quick to get my on-site support in action. So far I've appreciated the professionalism and promptness of their response - an improvement over previous experiences. Tech is supposed to service the machine tomorrow after the motherboard is delivered via next-day air.

BTW I informed myself on this prior to executing. I knew it was highly likely I would brick the machine. I timed it in a week that's not essential to have my powerful laptop. I fully expected this to happen. It was worth a try though, since I was having mid-suspend operation deaths that I'm convinced were BIOS-related, since a later BIOS version than mine specified suspend improvements. It's been a long and drawn-out ordeal with this machine that hasn't been solved by anything I've tried - you can read my plight by searching these forums too. The only thing I hadn't tried was a BIOS update which was suggested by Lenovo reps many times during tech calls. I knew better than them though, that the update would likely fail and give me grief at a busy time in my life. So I declined until this week. 

Overall I'm concerned that this is so common on these machines - or at least it's so easy to screw the process up. I remember reading a thread on here where an experienced computer guy, who had flashed many BIOS previously, was terrified of doing so on the W510. Now I see why. 

Bit Torrent
ThorsHammer

xtsubarublazin wrote:

It rebooted, and I hit F1 to enter BIOS setup in an effort to change the boot order, but it froze at "entering BIOS setup."

This was the mistake.  When it reboots the BIOS is updated and you interrupted that process and bricked the machine.  If you had not hit F1 and let it complete I have no doubt it would have completed successfully.  Oh well, too late now.

Regarding the suspend issues, I would not recommend using sleep/hibernate and resume.  Instead I would recommend getting a SSD drive and always power off. 

My 2 cents.

Token Ring
xtsubarublazin

[ Edited ]

I thought that might be the culprit, but I still take issues with "eject CD now, reboot, change boot order and boot into OS." How about "DON'T ENTER BIOS UNTIL SETUP IS COMPLETE" or something? They warn you plenty about having the machine connected to power, don't turn it off, don't put it to sleep, etc. If it's that easy to hit F1 by following the instructions to "change boot order after reboot" then there is an issue in communication. 

But I am intrigued by your idea. Powering off + SSD is just shutting down/rebooting all the time, but quicker than my current configuration (HDD)? How quick? I notice that my HDD is slammed during boot up, and it does take like 3 minutes (I have parsed my startup list to as little as I can afford)... so the issue is not processing power, it's HDD access times?

Token Ring
Chatbox

[ Edited ]

ThorsHammer wrote:

xtsubarublazin wrote:

It rebooted, and I hit F1 to enter BIOS setup in an effort to change the boot order, but it froze at "entering BIOS setup."

This was the mistake.  When it reboots the BIOS is updated and you interrupted that process and bricked the machine.  If you had not hit F1 and let it complete I have no doubt it would have completed successfully.  Oh well, too late now.

Regarding the suspend issues, I would not recommend using sleep/hibernate and resume.  Instead I would recommend getting a SSD drive and always power off. 

My 2 cents.

Yes, I agree with you.  Pressing F1 (Entering the BIOS) there seems to be the issue.

The way the Lenovo team has been dealing with BIOS data update / migration is a bit strange...but understandable if you're a techy.

Immediately after a BIOS update, the system will restart.  The old BIOS setting plus the new BIOS logics in a system means the BIOS will see "Hey, you there, you look like old data format.  Let me update you.  And give you another reboot, or two...so that the new data format/setting will be enforced, and used."

By interrupting this process (hitting F1 within the first reboot), means that the BIOS was not able to update / migrate your old BIOS settings to the new format/layout.  And so, when you're there at the BIOS setting screen, the BIOS didn't know how to present that old BIOS data to you...and crash.

The BIOS has logics to read and migrate old BIOS data to newer BIOS's standard.  But it does not have the logics to read and present (on screen) and use old BIOS data.

You need to let it completes the BIOS data migration.