Support in other languages: 
Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 411
Kudos: 1,326
Solutions: 285

Re: W510 Bios 1.12 removed?

aadiodavid,

I appreciate your feelings on the fact that I marked my answer as the solution.  This is the present official Lenovo direction on the situation and so I wanted to increase the chances that people who join this thread would read that message - many members in the forum tend to read a few posts and skip to the end to append their comments.

1.15 will not restore your activation by itself.  However, it is supposed to provide the BIOS upgrade path, replacing 1.12.

Mainframe_snob and 5150CD,

This symptom you are describing is not the same as the one that started this thread, but it certainly sounds like something we should look into.   Can you confirm that you both applied version 1.15?   Did you use Winphlash or the ISO images?   32 or 64 bit version used?

I asked these questions, because only the 64 bit version through Winphlash were involved in the original scenario.

You might try to remove the battery and ac from your system and press and hold the power button several times for several seconds each time.  Then re-install the battery and AC and try to restart the system - this sometimes recovers a 'bricked' scenario.

Any additional information you can share on these new events associated with 1.15 is appreciated.

Best regards,

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Fanfold Paper
5150cd

I used the 1.15 Windows 64-bit installer and it said everything went fine.  I rebooted, the Lenovo splash screen came up and froze there for 10 minutes before I hard booted it.  After that, nothing ever happened.  I already sent the notebook back to the place I purchased it so I won't be of any further assistance troubleshooting it.

Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 411
Kudos: 1,326
Solutions: 285

5150cd,

Thanks for the feedback - sorry that you experienced this, and the CPU whine situation.

Best regards,

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Punch Card
Mainframe_Snob

"New events" is good. I rang lenovo this morning and they have issued an RMA without any questions.. It would seem this issue is known in lenovo - internally.

Absolutely no other comment to make.

Punch Card
Mainframe_Snob

"You might try to remove the battery and ac from your system and press and hold the power button several times for several seconds each time.  Then re-install the battery and AC and try to restart the system - this sometimes recovers a 'bricked' scenario."

Of absolutely no use. Dead is dead is dead.

Retired Guru
sys3175

Mainframe_Snob wrote:

"You might try to remove the battery and ac from your system and press and hold the power button several times for several seconds each time.  Then re-install the battery and AC and try to restart the system - this sometimes recovers a 'bricked' scenario."

Of absolutely no use. Dead is dead is dead.

I have fixed several systems exhibiting the same symptoms of yours..  assuming the bios did not take a hammer and smash all the chips on your mainboard it is possible that your "dead" system simply has a corrupted cmos and resetting it will correct the issue, or atleast revert it back to the bios defaults. 

I have learned that when the system reboots after a firmware update and seems to hang at a blank screen just to walk away and see if it comes back, because restarting at this point can be very harmful, though generally not permenant..

Good luck with your rma..

Thinkpad T500-2081 CTO | T9400 2.53GHz | 8 GB RAM | ATI HD3650 + Intel GM45 | 15.4" LED WXGA+ | Windows 8 | ATI Catalyst 13.1 (non-switchable)
Thinkpad 390x | PII 333 | 256mb ram | NeoMagic 256AV | SVGA LCD | OS/2 v4.52
Punch Card
Mainframe_Snob

This symptom you are describing is not the same as the one that started this thread, but it certainly sounds like something we should look into.   Can you confirm that you both applied version 1.15?   Did you use Winphlash or the ISO images?   32 or 64 bit version used?

Used Winphlash (64-bit) from doze.

The Lenovo Repair Centre have in the meantime confirmed that the mainboard is useless, thanks to the BIOS update. Well done!!

MS

Fanfold Paper
blade117runner

So just want to clarify..

I updated with the bios 1.12. Lost activation. Downgraded bios to 1.09. Called Microsoft to activate Windows. Windows activated. Now if I flash with bios 1.15, my activation will stay activated, right? The only time I need to re-activate Windows is when I do a system factory restore, is that correct? Thanks.

Blue Screen Again
ProtoT13

Ugh...I'm in the same boat as Mainframe_Snob. I just got my W510 a week ago and almost immediately began receving BSODs. I went to upgrade the BIOS today and when it indicated it had updated successfully and to restart, I did just that but then it hung up on the ThinkPad splash screen for a while. I hardbooted and now the laptop is dead. When I press the power button it flashes the LEDs, etc but the screen never kicks on and nothing further happens; the laptop just sits there and starts to heat up.

I tried the suggestion by Mark to remove the battery and ac and press the power button a few times but that didn't do anything. When I get back to the hotel I'll give Lenovo support a call to see what can be done but I'm pretty pissed that I'm now stuck on a business trip half-way around the world for the next two weeks (as a Software Product Manager ironically enough) and I'm stuck carrying around a brick with no backup!!!!

Based on Mainframe_Snobs comments it sounds like this is a known issue (at least internally at Lenovo).

Punch Card
Mainframe_Snob

I sent my machine back to Lenovo (RMA) - no questions asked. They replaced the mainboard, also no questions asked - suspicious.

The machine works now. On an aside, I have updated the BIOS to 1.15 successfully but using the BOOT CD BIOS - not doze!!!

Thank god I reun Linux anyway.

Good luck with your dealings with lenovo.

MS