Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
Mainframe_Snob

Re: W510 Bios 1.12 removed?

This is the URL to download the BIOS CD iso if you need to update the BIOS.

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-74859.html

Bonne chance..

MS

Blue Screen Again
ProtoT13

As an FYI since this is another occurrence similar to Mainframe_Snob and 5150CD:

I used the 1.15 Winphlash update method for a 64bit OS. The install appeared to be successful (or so the popup said) but when I confirmed to restart the ThinkPad screen came up and then hung there. I hardbooted (as 5150CD did) and from that point forward the system is almost entirely unresponsive (see my previous description).

I have the laptop with me until I return to the states and in 2 weeks so if there are any tricks I can attempt to resolve this, please let me know.

Regards

Punch Card
Mainframe_Snob

"I used the 1.15 Winphlash update method for a 64bit OS..."

I tried the same using Win 7 64-bit and ended up with a dead Thinkpad (Mainboard rendered unserviceable).

RMA it - no other choice.

MS

Blue Screen Again
ProtoT13

Yeah, I figured its a lost cause but since I have to wait till I get back to the states I'm open to trying just about anyhting that won't damage it any further.

Punch Card
funks

I have the exact same problem with my external monitor (DELL 2405) using a Display Port -> DVI adapter.  When the external monitor is hooked up, Windows sometimes doesn't bootup all the way and stops after the 4 dots combine to form the windows logo.
Doesn't happen when the external monitor is not plugged in.

Davidvf wrote:

Hi blade117runner

More interestingly, it is your comments regarding the computer hanging at the Windows logo screen when you have an external monitor (connected through HDMI). I have the same issue (albeit my monitor is connected through the DVI port connected to a Lenovo dock) and has been present before the BIOS update to 1.12. I have spent quite some time troubleshooting this issue with Lenovo and to date we have isolated the fault to either be with the NVIDIA drivers or with the actual GPU on the motherboard. One thing that has come up is the possibility that the screen resolution of the external monitor is different to the native resolution of the internal screen and when the drivers load and have to switch resolution, it causes the system to hang.

If I leave the external monitor unplugged from the dock at bootup, it never hangs. I merely plug in the external monitor into the DVI port after a minute or so and everything is sweet. Not a great solution but it does ensure a successful bootup each and every time.

Punch Card
funks

Does anybody know if there will be a fix for the missing SLIC table after the old flash update?  Some people have stated that once it's gone - the only way to get it back is to send the laptop to Lenovo to have them use their reflash tools on it (not an option for many of us who use the laptop for work)

Token Ring
mtissington

I have an external monitor plugged in and no problems ... however I do have the same problem SOMETIMES with external USB devices.