Support in other languages: 
Blue Screen Again
InternetStartup

W510 CPU = 174.2° F -- HDD at 111.2°F -- GPU at 152.6°F

[ Edited ]

With as much as I love this new computer, it is starting to become a real pain. Tonight I noticed the unit was insanely hot. Below are three screenshots I made to demonstrate the characteristics of what was happening. No overloading. No battery power. Nothing unusual, as you can see by the RAM and CPU usage.

Link to picture

Tech support: Whats up with this?

Moderator note; picture(s) totalling >50K converted to link(s) Forum Rules

Token Ring
don820

Re: W510 CPU = 174.2° F -- HDD at 111.2°F -- GPU at 152.6°F

If there was some sort of load, then 160F (which is about 70C) is actually not that outrageous, IMO.

My W510 runs "cool" at about 120F (50C).

I would agree that 70C running "cool" is high.  Perhaps your CPU fan has become dislodged?  Are you sure you don't have some sort of really CPU intensive service running on your laptop? 

Also, you may want to get a second opinion and try CPUID Hardware Monitor (google will point you to it).

Token Ring
mbwj65

Mine runs hot if I have it directly on my lap where the vents get blocked.  I use a lapdesk with a built in fan.. and it keeps the machine and my lap nice & cool.

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,201
Solutions: 1,276

is your fan running properly, have you tried to update the BIOS?

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Blue Screen Again
InternetStartup

Good morning. I'm pretty sure most answers to your questions should already be included in the photo... that didn't show up and can only be seen by clicking on the link that was created... which is:

http://www.shumomo.com/W510-OVERHEAT.png

It shows BIOS update number and all other system specs at the very top. On the image, you can see the running software that displays the CPU and memory usage. Neither exceeded 30% and 40%, respectively. There is no justification for it reaching these temperatures. I put this vicious monster to the test when I first got it, to see what she could do... and have had dozens of browsers open simultaneously, along with Excel, Word, Access, Outlook, Photoshop, My Computer, Windows Photo Viewer, etc. for an extended period of time.

The system was rock solid and stood her ground - with the system fan barely running and no signs of a heat buildup. Now... it overheats regularly. The battery life is abhorrid. The video card keeps failing. The USB 3.0 port often will not charge my phone anymore. External ThinkVision monitor blinking if I close the lid- when it's set to do nothing.

...and the bugs come marching in...

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,201
Solutions: 1,276

i would try call in lenovo and ask the depot to have a look at it. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
802.11n
Jimbo

[ Edited ]

InternetStartup wrote in Link to picture:

This shot was taken after the unit was elevated for 10 minutes with a 5" fan.. blowing into the left rear corner at the vent/fan at high speed, at 45 degree angle, at 3" range.

InternetStartup, elevating the laptop's base is good. But you're not helping much if your fan is blowing INTO the large vent slots in the rear-left corner of the machine, as those are air OUTLETS for the fan, and are not air inlets. The air inlets are tiny slots on the bottom of the base, plus the machine will suck some air in through the keyboard area.

Blue Screen Again
InternetStartup

Hi there. No, I definitely understand the airflow concept. The problem is merely identifying where a majority of the air is entering the unit, and with as many inlet holes as there is on the bottom, the only helpful option is just to envelop the whole machine in as much air as possible. Hence, the elevation with the fan centered over top and bottom. Well, but still, regardless of how effective an exterior source of air is, the unit should never be operating at 175 degrees with less than a 40% load. I hate to think of the consequences of applying a 60-80% load on the unit when it is already so enormously hot... and what if I needed to use it in a place without air conditioning. Nuclear meltdown. I'll have a mini-TMI on my desk before I know it.

Yes, I will likely have to get it serviced soon. I'm not much of a whiner, and so I've been overlooking a lot of its little problems, but now it is getting a bit too risky to keep it and have it end up overheating and burning up my hard drive(s) and anything else inside. Besides, I can no longer watch my Nightly News at full screen without it constantly locking up every few seconds- or most other types of internet video. Strange issues this thing has.

802.11n
Jimbo

InternetStartup wrote:

The problem is merely identifying where a majority of the air is entering the unit... with as many inlet holes as there is on the bottom

InternetStartup, the majority of the air comes in through the air inlets in the bottom of the base directly below the center of the fan. The fan sucks air in at its center. then its blades move that air outward. And you'll notice, over the course of a year, that if you shine a flashlight into the air inlet slots in the base, those particular vents beneath the fan clog with dust before any of the others, because they convey the largest airflow. So anyone who wants to perform intensive tasks on the W510, such as gaming, will be wise to follow Mbwj65's advice of using a lapdesk with a built in fan that blows upward in that area.

I strongly recommend that you perform the following test before sending your W510 to the service depot. *IF* you have a backup of your system from when you felt it was running properly, then backup your current system, and restore the system from that earlier backup. See if your laptop then runs as you think it ran before. If so, then you will know that the problem is not due a change in your hardware or BIOS.

Here's why I recommend that. First, if you peruse the stories in this forum, you'll probably conclude that you don't want to send your ThinkPad to a repair depot unless you really have to.

Second, these W510 machines tend to run hot, particularly as you add software to them and increase the load on the processor. Here's why. They use basically the same form factor and cooling system as the W500, which could not handle Intel's quad-core processors (for more details, see here, here and here). The reason Lenovo gets away with putting Intel's new quad-core processors in the W510 is that they use less power than Intel's previous-generation quad-cores when performing run-of-the-mill tasks. But most of the new Intel quad-cores have the same Thermal Design Power (TDP) rating as Intel's previous-generation quad-cores. Which means that, as you ramp up the load on the W510's processor, it draws just as much power as the previous-generation quad-cores. Plus the graphics processor in the W510 draws more power than that of the W500. And virtually all of that power drawn by those processors is turned into heat, which must then be dissipated by the laptop's cooling system.

So the W510 simply throttles back the processors as the computational load gets higher, to maintain safe operating temps, and the fan has to run faster to keep up with the extra heat.

Let me put this into perspective. I recently tested continuous 1080p Flash video playback on the latest 17" MacBook Pros, which have fairly poor cooling systems, and you could fry an egg on those. However, while playing those same videos, my ThinkPad W700 doesn't even get warm, which has a much better cooling system (plus it plays Flash video on the GPU instead of the CPU, unlike the Macs). Apple doesn't dare put the current Intel quad-core processors into those machines -- they can't handle the heat.

So running quad-core processors in the W510 entails a tradeoff. You can run those processors in the machine, but they will run hotter as you add more background processes, which often happens as you install additional software on the machine. And the processors will have to be throttled back as you push them harder, to maintain safe operating temps. That's just a fact of life for those machines.

But you may have something else going on, so I recommend running the above test to find out. If the problem is that you've been slowly accumulating more background processes, then you may be able to get rid of some of them. You may also be able to run fan control software to improve the cooling and thus the throttling profile of the processors. Or you may genuinely require a repair. In any case, best of luck!

Blue Screen Again
nickjkay

I've been doing encoding/After Effects with the CPU wacked out @100% for a long time with no overheating.  Yes it gets hot but nothing unexpected. Are you guys doing the system update?