Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
Kuolung
Accepted Solution

W510 - Cannot go into sleep mode

[ Edited ]

The latest patches do not fix this issue, and not only W510 but also all series have the same issue.

edit note:- Title changed to suit the issue.

Paper Tape
zachsong

Re: W510 cannot wake up from sleep

[ Edited ]

I have the same issue, please help

Product ID: 4318CTO

The new bios has been installed, still not work

Retired Employee
JameZ

Hi Kuolong and zachsong,

If the BIOS has been updated to the latest version 1.27/1.32 and Power Management updates has been done as well, do remove any 3rd part RAMs and test only on Lenovo default RAM . Check memory config if using multiple modules, and confirm that matched speed memory is being used.

If issue still persist after doing all of the above, you would then need to call support for your laptop to be sent in for a check.

//JameZ

Check out the Community Knowledge Base for hints and tips.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

W520 | 4176-38U | i7 - 2720QM | Quardo 1000M | 8GB RAM | 60GB OCZ Agility 3

Paper Tape
zachsong

The problem happens after long term sleep. for example, if I let it sleep and wake it up within one hour, it works, and if it let it sleep at night and turn it on in the morning, the problem happens. 

Paper Tape
ShaneTrustforce

I have also been using Hibernate instead of sleep since I bough my w510. Its more than annoying for me as I frequently close the lid and open it as I move from waiting at the airport or prior to landing. Hibernate is not time efficient.  I have tried every fix mentioned. To send my computer back for repair is just ridiculous over what seems to be a simple issue.

Its a real PROBLEM that I wish I would have bought the HP Envy instead. It was only because of my past experience with Lenovo as a traveling consultant that I went forward with Lenovo. They used to be rock solid computers but as with many top quality brands, QA for the Lenovo brand has gone to the wayside. I'm so disappointed that I'm nearly willing to scrap the $3,000+ w510 and call it a lesson learned. 

Go and buy the HP Envy or a macbook.

Serial Port
Erik-NA

Is there anybody who solved this problem by letting Lenovo change parts in your W510?

Blue Screen Again
Joakim

I have had main board, AC-unit and CPU replaced. Also tried with several different memory set up. This was done at lenovo support. Still have problems.

Retired Employee
JameZ

Hi Joakim,

Even after changing the mainboard, AC, CPU and swapping the RAMs around the issue still persist at the Lenovo support. Did they do a factory restore and test it?

//JameZ

Check out the Community Knowledge Base for hints and tips.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

W520 | 4176-38U | i7 - 2720QM | Quardo 1000M | 8GB RAM | 60GB OCZ Agility 3

Token Ring
xtsubarublazin

I have a sleep issue on my W510, but it's less about it not being able to wake up, and more about it not being able to go to sleep without crashing.

I just got a new W510 from Lenovo about two weeks ago, and this new one is exhibiting problems... on three occasions now, I have tried to put the computer to sleep and it goes to sleep, then immediately wakes (and the battery icon blinks orange once) and windows crashes, then boots back up and says "Windows did not shut down properly." This was an issue on my old machine as well (in addition to freezing during operation and bad motherboard beeping).

I'm so frustrated with my experience thus far. I've had two machines and a motherboard replacement, and I still don't have a 100% functioning computer. Sleep works 90% of the time, and I rarely get motherboard warnings now, but I shouldn't have to settle for 90% for $2700.

I'm waiting to hear back from Lenovo to see if they will ship another machine to me. If they have a problem with that, I'm going to try and get my money back and buy a Dell workstation or something. I gave Lenovo a shot. I've come to regret it.

Serial Port
Erik-NA

[ Edited ]

I have the same cind of problem. When I close the lid, the computer never goes to sleep when I am connected to a LAN via Wireless or via the fysical LAN-connector. The screen goes black, hard drive led indicates activity, but no sleep.

After a while I have seen a BSOD saying that powermanager.exe caused the crasch.

However, If I connect via the 3G/HDSPA-modem the computer goes to sleep without problems.