Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
bvanskiver

W510 Fan Noise

I just got my W510 a couple of days ago and the fan is constantly making a lot of noise. I have a T61p that is nearly silent when it is on. Does anyone have a W510 that runs quietly or is this normal?

Token Ring
xtsubarublazin

Re: W510 Fan Noise

My W510 is very quiet. I have to put my ear to the vents to hear the fan. Sometimes I do hear the fan spool up when I'm stressing the computer out, but it's still whisper-quiet.

Punch Card
bvanskiver

Guess it is time to call support then, maybe I got a bad fan.

Punch Card
bvanskiver

I had the fan replaced but still noisy - anyone else have a noisy fan? My T61p was just so quiet...I may be sending the W510 back, maybe I'll stick with the T line.

Punch Card
coppertrail

Could it be the hard drive rotation you're hearing and not the fan?

Punch Card
bvanskiver

Definitely the fan - I found an app that can control the speed and when I turn the speed down the noise goes down, but the CPU temp goes up (makes sense).

The fan is noisy even when I am not doing anything on the computer - may be returning it and going back to my quiet T61p - if it is a bad fan still I'm not off to a good start with the computer being in for repair twice in its first week.

What's DOS?
pkjeilen

Did you figure this one out ? Got my W510 today and I'm having the same problem with the fan.
Punch Card
bvanskiver

I ended up returning mine. Going to stick with the T series, waiting on the next generation now.
Paper Tape
nni123

I had exact same problem with first W510 and return it.

Just order another one see if that works otherwise I will return that and wait for W520 or T420 series. I know even T series has exact same problem. So if you are unlucky you ended up getting such system.

Only thing prompt me to try one more time is price and one of my friend has W510 without any problem.  New series will be expensive as usual.

802.11n
Jimbo

[ Edited ]

Let's assume that the machine's fan is running at an abnormally high RPM all the time. Then if turning down the fan speed, while the computer isn't doing any intensive work, causes the CPU temperature to rise to high levels, then the heatsinks on the processors may not be properly mounted.

I can't say with 100% certainty that this IS the problem you're experiencing. But I can say with a fair degree of certainty that if the heatsinks are mounted poorly enough, then what you're describing is exactly the symptom that you would see. In which case a competent service technician should be able to properly mount the heatsinks. But I would purchase onsite service, and sit there to watch them do the repair, vs. sending the machine in to a depot (see here for the reason why I say this).

Or, like you say, you can just return the computer. Such problems should have been caught before the laptop ever left the factory.