Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
_mikey_

W510 - Heating up while OFF

[ Edited ]

New W510 owner here.  Upgraded from 3 yo T60p.  

Specs:  Core i7 720m, Quadro Fx 880M, HD+ 

Problem:  Overheating and Noise

Observations:  When the computer is OFF and plugged in a hear a buzzing (fan?) from the left rear of the machine.  After a few hours of non operation, again when off, the left rear area is very warm - hot to the touch.  this is when the computer is OFF.  I feel there is a hardware or bios setting issue that is causing a problem.  Has any run into this before?

Thanks.  

802.11n
Jimbo

Re: W510 - Heating up while OFF

[ Edited ]

Other reports have surfaced of this problem, and it may also be causing the W510's left speaker to stop working in some cases. A similar problem appears to have surfaced in the T410. If I owned a new T410-series, T510-series, or W510-series laptop, I would turn it off while plugged into AC power, then vigilantly check for any heat buildup near the left speaker grille occuring within the first hour or two after shutdown. The problem seems to be worse if you close the lid of the laptop, since that traps the heat. If you feel any heat buildup, I would unplug the machine from AC power and call Lenovo tech support. If you continue to feel heat buildup even after unplugging AC power, then I would also remove the battery from the laptop.

Apparently, at least some part of the laptop remains turned on even after you've shut it down. The reason the laptop's base gets hot in that area, is likely because that's where the heatsinks for the chipset enter the fan. The heatsinks have a series of fins on them inside the fan assembly to radiate heat into the fan's airstream. If the fan isn't turned on, or isn't running fast enough, you'll instead experience a build-up of heat in that area. In any case, none of this should be happening in a laptop that has been turned off.

One other user who had this problem had shut down his W510 and closed the lid. He reported that the plastic had then buckled in the same area that you describe as being hot. He also found condensation on the screen just above the buckled area. His left speaker also stopped functioning. It turns out that the wires feeding the left speaker are taped onto the top of that same area of the heatsink. So their insulation probably melted as a result of the heat, and the vapor from that may have caused the condensation on his screen. He also began having memory errors, which are probably linked to the overheating.

He thought his left speaker may have shorted out, causing the problem, but that's unlikely. I have several degrees in electrical engineering, and I don't see how a small malfunctioning speaker, that was playing no sound, while the laptop was supposedly turned off, could generate that kind of heat. Also, it's just too much of a coincidence that the heatsinks enter the fan in the same place as where the overheating occurred. So I think the heat is coming from the heatsinks. Anyway, here's his report:

http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=84828

Another user had something very similar happen to a T410, including melting and loss of sound in the left speaker, and he posted a photo showing the melting of his left speaker grille:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?p=5947126#post5947126

Many users may not even notice the heat buildup. The first symptom that may come to their attention is that their left speaker suddenly stops working. And here are some reports of W510 users complaining that their left speaker has stopped working, which may be related to the problem:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/W-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/W510-Left-Speaker-Not-working/td-p/201296

Another user reported that, even though his W510 appeared to be shut down, when he unplugged the AC power cord, the machine unexpectedly emitted a beep sound (presumably indicating that it was still turned on). That user said he had to remove the laptop's battery to finally force it to turn itself off:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/W-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/W510-Sudden-Hang-Ups-amp-Doesn-t-Shut-Down-Pro...

Anyway, you need to call Lenovo tech support. I hope that this is not a problem with all W510 and T410 units.

And here's the W510 (and T510) Hardware Maintenance Manual. Look at page 112 of the document (which is listed as page 120 in the page field in Adobe Reader) and you'll see a diagram that shows the location of the speaker, its wires, and the computer's heatsinks and fan. You'll see that the wires feeding the left speaker are taped on top of the heat sink where it enters the fan assembly:

http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/63y0536.pdf

Here's the same diagram for the T410 Hardware Maintenance Manual. Look at page 116 of the document (which is listed as page 124 in the page field in Adobe Reader). The T410 design is different in that, instead of the wires melting that feed the speaker, the speaker itself may be melting:

http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/63y0535.pdf

As some have postulated, the problem may be related to the new USB feature to charge USB-powered devices even when the computer is turned off, or to a wake-on-LAN feature of the wireless card, or perhaps it's related to Intel's ATM feature. As such, it may in some way be tied to a BIOS setting.

Good luck, and let us know how it all turns out!

Punch Card
hahnebalboa

_mikey_ wrote:

Observations:  When the computer is OFF and plugged in a hear a buzzing (fan?) from the left rear of the machine.  After a few hours of non operation, again when off, the left rear area is very warm - hot to the touch.  this is when the computer is OFF.  I feel there is a hardware or bios setting issue that is causing a problem.  Has any run into this before?

Does this mean that if the computer is not plugged in, it could still be drawing current from the battery when it is off?

SCSI Port
MacGyverRick

[ Edited ]

Thinking... perhaps USB related i.e., ext usb disk  ? or RF related.. i.e, Device Manager  > Intel 5300 (or other) > Properties > Power Management?

Still, melting should not be in anyway even remotely close to acceptable.

Rick

Rick
W500 4058-CTO WinXP
Blue Screen Again
shaanesb

I am returning a brand new W510 thinkpad because of extreme heat at the back left corner with just minimal windows open.  It also took 15 seconds to bring up Explore once I'd clicked on the icon, which is a long time.  And the keyboard was EXTREMELY clackity.  The full HD screen strained my eyes and I could seem to adjust it to display larger without words and icons and such showing in almost cartoonish porportions.  So I am unsure what to replace it with.  I am doing 2d graphic work it creative suites and expecially liked the Hueypro pantone color correction built in and touch screen.  So my choices now are to replace with a NEW new W510 with an HD+ screen (1600 x 900) and hopefully a better keyboard and less heat.  Or go to a T510 with HD+ screen and no color corrections system or touch screen but hopefully less heat, etc.  Any suggestions? 

Paper Tape
coverds

Howdy,

I am currently having this same expearence.   Basicly when i first recieved this product, from day 1, the left speaker has been crackling in the mid (human voice) frequencies... really annoying, but i put up with it because i have major projects running, which were unrelated to the issue... THEN... last thursday I was in a milestone project meeting for a multi million dollar design,  and in the confrence room my machine would not turn on, the lights would just blink once, and the fingerprint reader twice.... REAL BAD TIMING, AND EXTREMELY EMBARSSING...!!!   espically because my design involves high end electronic media systems....   I was so disapointed that i had to cancel the design meeting, and waste everyones time...   so i went home and tried everyting... was it the battery? the powersupply?

I tried everyting i could, and then i decided to let the battery charge for an hour and see if the machine would turn on...   so 1 hour later i came back, and mind you, the machine WAS NOT ON, but when i reached to turn it on, the entire left side was BURNING HOT< espically the VGA port, where I could not place my finger for more than a second...

So i pulled the battery out, and unpluged the unit, and preceded to call IBM support....    

2 days later I was able to turn the machine on and everything works, like nothing ever happened.... I am still sending the unit to lonovo, and will unplug the battery when not in use....

i read about this problem in the user fourms, before i purchased the unit, however the lenovo sales dude explained to me that this problem has been resolved.... apparently not...  

This is reall annoyoing...   I really liked this machine, however, if you are in the market for a laptop, i would either wait for this problem to be resolved, or look elsewhere...

When i was backing up the drive i noticed that the unit was manufactured in a FOXCONN factory, just like the iPhones, and have herd that there are problems with the new iPhone generations as well...   FOXCONN makes pretty much everything...   they produce for Dell, Hp, PlayStation 2 and PlayStation 3 for Sony; the Wii for Nintendo; the Xbox 360 for Microsoft; cellular phones for Motorola and Nokia; the Amazon Kindle; and Cisco equipment.

I hope Lenovo can fix this problem... I love my laptop otherwise.....    the GPU is badass!!!!!

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,249
Solutions: 1,341

Foxconn does a huge amount of Contract Manufacturing for the brand company, but these stuffs are manufactured according to the spec given by the company that contracts them. Most of the problems you mentioned are just a result of poor design and firmware issues, nothing to do with the manufacturing end per se. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
802.11n
Jimbo

coverds wrote:

i read about this problem in the user fourms, before i purchased the unit, however the lenovo sales dude explained to me that this problem has been resolved.... apparently not...   

If somwone tells you it has been resolved, then ask them what BIOS update or software update was issued to resolve it, and ask what text in the update release notes indicates the problem was resolved. Or, if it was instead found to be purely a hardware problem, then ask what was the nature of the problem, and what was changed in the hardware to fix it (particularly if the person telling you it was resolved is from Lenovo).

Otherwise, I'd assume it's still unresolved.

Plus it appears to be an intermittent problem, so just because one user doesn't notice it, or doesn't always notice it, doesn't mean it's been resolved.