Support in other languages: 
Blue Screen Again
tobyg

Re: W510 Overheating

Jimbo wrote:

That's very interesting, tobyg. It seems to indicate that the cooling system on the W510 is the limiting factor in its performance, and not the processors themselves. It's a question of how much of a limiting factor, I guess.

Yeah, I even downloaded the fan control program from www.tpfancontrol.com and while it did kick up the fan properly, it did not allow the game to run at the same speed it initially ran at with the original bios.

Paper Tape
BobSandefur

I have a W510 16 GB RAM and 920x - it is very fast and very hot -according to CPUID hardware Monitor up to 96c. it sometimes shuts itself off (I assume due to thermal overload)and I have to leave it in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes to get it to reboot.I called Lenovo about this and they said it was probably dueto the 12 GB of non-lenovo memory; I pulled the 12gb and stress test still gives 96C. I downloaded TPFC.62 and the stress test still gives 86C. the Lenovo guy says it should be running 50 Celsius which I doubt, but it's going back to the shop tomorrow. Questions:
1. Anyone else have a 920x and how hot does yours run?
2. any suggestions for a cooling unit that works well with the W510?

Thx

Bob
What's DOS?
steveromine

I called support to report the problem.  They're shipping a box overnight and I'm supposed to get it back in a week - repaired.  Overheating isn't an issue that should be ignored or try some software fix.  The machine isn't working right and overheating causes damage.  Lenovo needs to provide a real fix.

Steve

Fanfold Paper
amakeler

I think that this is not just a Lenovo problem. I am getting the feeling that Intel has bitten off more than the computer manufacturers can chew with these i5 and i7 CPUs. If you google "Dell Latitude E6510" and "Overheating", you will find plenty of problems there, too. 

I am getting worried. I had been waiting around for ages to buy a new laptop. And I was at first really pleased that I managed to catch the new models. (I thought I would be buying a T500 or W500 model.) My money is coming out of a savings account late July, but the closer that date comes the more I am getting worried that I am going to pay out a fortune on a good-looking, unreliable piece of garbage. There are so many reports of overheating I am getting scared of taking the plunge. Maybe a T510 HD+ has less chance of overheating....? (I haven't see a T510 FHD for sale.)

Are there any brands that make  i5/i7 machines that do *not* overheat (without making them 10 pounds in weight...)?

Just my thoughts ...

- avi 

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,249
Solutions: 1,339

if it is indeed a CPU problem, then there would be no better manufacturers to deal with it than Lenovo's Thinkpads. Since Thinkpads historically has always had the best thermal management system (i.e. Fan/Heatsink) compared to Dell or HP. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
HDMI
joer80

[ Edited ]

How much better are the lenovo thinkpad cooling systems. compared to the mackbook pros?

(Not the outside casing temps, but the inside temps.  Lets say for the 15 inch models for this question...)

Thinkpad T500 - Intel Core2 P8400 (2.26GHz), 4 gigs of ram, 160GB/7200rpm hard drive, ATI 3650 GPU, WSXGA+ panel
802.11n
Jimbo

Joer80, here's the difference. Apple has made engineering tradeoffs so that the MacBook Pros can be thinner, lighter, and more aesthetically pleasing. Whereas most laptops have air inlets on the bottom or sides of the computer, and additionally draw air in through the keyboard, the MacBook Pros have no air inlets in the bottom or sides of the laptop's base and instead draw air in only through the keyboard. While the ThinkPads have fairly large unobstructed air outlets on the side and rear near one or more rear corners of the base, the MacBook Pros instead have their outlet in the hinge well along the upper-rear edge of the base, so they're blowing exhaust air directly at the hinge, which forms an obstruction and increases air resistance.

So the ThinkPads have a better airflow design.

One result of this is that you won't find quad-core processors in ANY of the MacBook Pros, not even the 17" model, because they can't handle the heat. Plus the MacBook Pros don't play Flash video, the most common web video standard, on the graphics processor, due to disputes with Adobe. So decompression of Flash video instead runs on the CPU of those machines, which is less efficient, and makes them run even hotter. The real-world impact of this is that I can play full 1080p Flash video on my ThinkPad W700, which doesn't even get warm (although it does vent warm exhaust from the graphics processor), while the 17" MacBook Pros get extremely hot while playing that same video (I've run tests on both machines). Plus the 17" MacBook Pro has roughly half the graphics performance of the W700/W701, due to use of a less powerful graphics processor (again, the MacBook Pro can't stand the heat of the more powerful graphics processors).

On the other hand, the W700 is a monster to carry around, with fairly poor battery run-time before requiring a recharge. And some people would say it doesn't look as pretty (although to an engineer like myself, beauty lies more in the effectiveness of the cooling system design). Regarding 15" models, anything you buy with a quad-core processor is going to run fairly hot, particularly when playing graphics-intensive games, and you won't even find those processors in the MacBook Pros. The W700 has no problem with quad-cores, but then it has a monster dual cooling system, with separate fans and heatsinks for the CPU and graphics processor.

By the way, the case temps are a direct reflection of the internal temps. If the laptop is effectively cooling the CPU, chipset, and graphics processor, then the heat they generate exits through the air outlets, and case temperatures are low. If it's not effectively cooling those components, then the heat instead builds up inside the machine and is reflected as high case temperatures.

This all has an impact on reliability, because cooler electronics live longer.

HDMI
joer80

Great reply!

Thinkpad T500 - Intel Core2 P8400 (2.26GHz), 4 gigs of ram, 160GB/7200rpm hard drive, ATI 3650 GPU, WSXGA+ panel
Guru
PeterTWJ

Currently, my W510 have an overheating issue, after a onsite service from Lenovo.

Before onsite servicing
Normal Load:
40 - 50 degree celcius on CPU and GPU

Playing L4D2:
capped at 70 degree celcius on CPU and 60+ degree on GPU

After onsite servicing
Normal Load:
50 - 60 degree celcius on CPU and GPU

Playing L4D2
rised up to 80+ for CPU and GPU.

I have motherboard, keyboard and speaker replaced on previous onsite service. Should I contact Lenovo Service Center again?

Guru
PeterTWJ

I have contacted the Lenovo Service Center and my W510 case has been escalated to R&D (Research & Development) from Second-level support. I think that there's really lots of unresolved issues for W510 machines.