Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
AstainHellbring

W510 Overheating

Anyone having issues with the w510 overheating?  My boss has one and has been complaining that it has overheated a few times on him?

802.11n
Jimbo

Re: W510 Overheating

Punch Card
AstainHellbring

No this is while the machine is on being used with in plugged in to the 135 watt power and playing bad company 2 or sometimes on dvds as well

802.11n
Jimbo

The standard info to supply in that case is:

- what CPU does the laptop have?

- what operating system was running when the overheating occurred?

- was the machine docked at that time?

- what external devices were connected to it?

- was the user running any temperature monitoring software at the time -- if so, what were the temps?

- was the fan running at a high RPM at the time?

- what power mode was the machine in? (High Performance, ThinkPad Default, Power Saving)

- how did the overheating manifest itself (e.g., the machine simply felt hot (how hot, and where?), some part of the laptop melted, smoke came from a particular part of the laptop, a burning smell occurred, the machine shut itself down without warning, an error message appeared (provide text of message), the CPU or graphics processor dropped down to a lower speed (describe), the program that was running simply crashed (error message?), etc.)

- has the laptop exhibited any other problems?

I assume a fully-charged battery was installed in it when the problem occurred, correct?

Provide the above, and then perhaps someone here can jump in and suggest a solution. Or perhaps we'll find out about a previously-unreported problem.

Punch Card
AstainHellbring

CPU: i7 820QM

No Not docked used on table top

just mouse hooked up to it externally

no temp monitoring running

yes fan at full speed

power mode was high performance

Overheating manifested by machine shutoff as well as table very hot and laptop very hot

No other problems we have noticed so far

Running a 256gb ssd on it as well

the FHD display on it

Fully charged batter on 135 watt PS

802.11n
Jimbo

[ Edited ]

You don't seem to have any complicating factors, so my guess is that either the system is not properly throttling back the CPU and/or GPU when they get hot, or that some heatsinks are not properly mounted on their chips.

Users have reported that the W510 gets very hot and that the fan doesn't run while in BIOS setup. So it wouldn't surprise me if the fan and processor-throttling profiles, in general, are out of whack. Especially since the W510 is a fairly new model. That would involve BIOS and driver updates, so you might keep an eye out for those:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-74582.html

You should have plenty of power available between both the 135W power supply and the fully-charged battery, so that shouldn't be a problem.

The W500 didn't support quad-core processors, presumably due to power/cooling concerns, but the form factor and fan of the W510 look much the same (larger air outlet on the side, but smaller one in the rear, same fan motor according to sparepartswarehouse.com, and I count the same number of fan blades in the Maintenance Manual diagrams). So the reason the W510 gets away with running quad-core processors is probably that Intel's new ones take less power during run-of-the-mill operations.

However, most of Intel's new quad-core processors have THE SAME 45W Thermal Design Power (TDP) as the previous generation. During normal operations, you don't draw anything near that power. But when you play 3D games, you may be drawing close to that TDP power (plus you're pushing the GPU to the max), thus generating the same amount of heat that Lenovo feared to dissipate in the W500. Thus the system presumably needs to throttle back the processors in that situation to avoid overheating. If it doesn't do that properly, then you should see exactly what you're seeing.

The W510 should have no problem playing DVDs. That taxes mainly the graphics processor and not the CPU, and graphics processors nowadays are designed to decode and play back 1080p video. However you're playing those DVDs at 1920x1080 pixels, which is a lot of pixels to sling for a DVD. Nonetheless, overheating while playing DVDs makes me suspicious that your heatsink for the graphics processor may not be mounted properly (i.e. heatsink not mating flush with chip, too little pressure, or too much thermal grease, etc.). Anyway, if you run software to monitor temperatures, then you'll get a better idea of whether the graphics processor is the main culprit in all of your problems.

Also, I'm assuming the laptop is resting on a hard smooth surface of your boss's desk, and not on some sort of squishy foam or cloth pad (which impede airflow to the small air inlet slots on the bottom of the machine). I always put my laptops on a hard flat surface, then prop up the rear edge of their base by a quarter-inch or so (using a pencil, marker, or whatever) to improve airflow.

Your boss might also consider playing games at less-than-native resolution, if he's not already doing so. Playing games at 1920x1080 would be asking a lot from the system.

A call to tech support won't hurt. In any case, tell us of any new developments -- it's an interesting problem, and you're the first to mention it on the W510 (to my knowledge).

Punch Card
AstainHellbring

interesting yah we are taking it into a local service center soon to have it looked at so will update after that is done.  As a side note anyone here also playing any 3d games on theirs like Battle Field Bad Company 2 etc?

802.11n
Jimbo

[ Edited ]

I noitce that a BIOS update was issued for the W510 yesterday (3/9/10), and one of the items listed in the "New functions or enhancements" section of its release notes was: "Optimized graphics device settings."

That's a bit vague, but it MAY indicate that the throttling profile for the graphics processor has been updated. So you might try that update. See the link in my previous message and the associated readme for more info.

[Edited: This BIOS update was pulled from the above page for some reason on 3/17 or 3/18, reverting to the older BIOS version. It may have been replaced with a newer update by the time that you read this. See the following for more info:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/W-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/W510-Bios-1-12-removed/td-p/215339

]

Blue Screen Again
tobyg

Jimbo wrote:

I noitce that a BIOS update was issued for the W510 yesterday (3/9/10), and one of the items listed in the "New functions or enhancements" section of its release notes was: "Optimized graphics device settings."

That's a bit vague, but it MAY indicate that the throttling profile for the graphics processor has been updated. So you might try that update. See the link in my previous message and the associated readme for more info.

The bios updated fixed my problem, but also started giving me some stuttering.  I suppose that's what 'fixed' the problem.  Previous to the bios update, when playing Borderlands, the machine would just reboot.  And it only took a few minutes of playing for it to reboot.  I was getting really good frame rates at 1920x1080.  I was impressed.  Now, after the bios update, the game does not crash the system but my frame rates are down.  I can't play at 1920x1080 any longer.  So they must have realized there was a problem and started throttling the GPU more.  It's unfortunate, but I will take stability over performance any day.

802.11n
Jimbo

[ Edited ]

tobyg wrote:

The bios updated fixed my problem, but also started giving me some stuttering.  I suppose that's what 'fixed' the problem.  Previous to the bios update, when playing Borderlands, the machine would just reboot.  And it only took a few minutes of playing for it to reboot.  I was getting really good frame rates at 1920x1080.  I was impressed.  Now, after the bios update, the game does not crash the system but my frame rates are down.  I can't play at 1920x1080 any longer.  So they must have realized there was a problem and started throttling the GPU more.  It's unfortunate, but I will take stability over performance any day.

That's very interesting, tobyg. It seems to indicate that the cooling system on the W510 is the limiting factor in its performance, and not the processors themselves. It's a question of how much of a limiting factor, I guess.