Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Retired Employee
JameZ

Re: W510 cannot wake up from sleep

All,

After several test senario given and tested by the L2, they were unable to replicate this issue in the lab. 2 W510 Lenovo preloaded with Win 7 Pro 64bit and Win XP with TVSU updated and Windows Updated were tested several times using, lid close, FnF4 and auto sleep both with AC and battery tested however both the W510 were able to wake up without any issues.

If you have tried the following

1. Restore using Lenovo Preloaded OS
  2. Reseat RAM and HDD
  3. Using Lenovo recommended RAM
  4. Updated both TVSU and Windows
  5. No 3rd party application installed

If your laptop met the all conditions stated above, kindly bring the W510 to the service center to get the machine checked up.

//JameZ

Check out the Community Knowledge Base for hints and tips.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

W520 | 4176-38U | i7 - 2720QM | Quardo 1000M | 8GB RAM | 60GB OCZ Agility 3

Punch Card
ecarballo

[ Edited ]

I sent my machine in on Monday for repairs.  It was sent back to me the next day with a motherboard replacement.  Not only does my laptop continue exhibiting the same problem (3rd party Crucial memory module in the second slot under the keyboard causes Sleep function to fail to wake up), but now I also have an issue where if I disconnect the power supply and battery and then plug them back in the BIOS date and time gets reset and prompts a manual setting on reboot.)  So I called up Lenovo and they said I must send the machine back as the refurbished board they installed may be damaged.  I asked them to put a note in to have a new motherboard put into my system but the rep said this is not something that is guaranteed to hapen at the depot repair shop.   So my troubles continue...

Also forgot to mention the problem on my laptop with the sleep function appears at this time to be 3rd party crucial memory in the second slot under the keyboard.  I may be forced to buy a Lenovo memory module to resolve the problem.  These modules cost $99 vs. the $48 crucial modules.  Lenovo charges double for the certified RAM and they offer no qualified vendor list of certified RAM other than their own.

Retired Employee
JameZ

All,

Do check this thread started by don820. Lenovo have released a new BIOS update for the W510 to fix this sleep issue.

Appreciate if everyone who is experiencing this problem could try this new BIOS update. Do ensure that you flash the BIOS via bootable CD or in Windows after a cold boot.

Cheers to don820 for highlighting this.

//JameZ

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Blue Screen Again
Joakim

Looks like the BIOS come in 2 versions

Versions           1.27  (for BIOS ID 6Nxxxxxx-based computer)
                   1.32  (for BIOS ID 6Lxxxxxx-based computer)

I have BIOS 6N so I guess its version 1.27?

Anyone tried this and did you get into other problems?

Blue Screen Again
Joakim

I did the upgrade to BIOS 1.27

Sadly to say I still have the same problem as before.

Just as a thought and I think it was mentioned before in this thread is that It is easiest to have problem if you remove or add AC power during sleep.

Battery - sleep- wake  works most of the times

AC- sleep - wake works most of the time

Battery - sleep- AC - wake locks the machine with blinking lights

AC - sleep - battery - wake locks the machine with blinking lights

Maybe that can be a clue?

Next week I will contact local support and see what parts they might be willing to replace to fix this.

Punch Card
ecarballo

The BIOS 1.27 update seems to have resolved my sleep issues.  I tried a dozen times to break sleep on awake but the system is now waking up properly with power and battery and with battery alone.

Paper Tape
chupacabras

Updated here and still have the same startup issues.

Retired Employee
JameZ

Hi chupacabras,

I see that you have 3rd party RAMs installed and using Ultrabay as well. Could you try removing the non recommended Lenovo RAMs and the Ultrabay to test this?

//JameZ

Serial Port
Erik-NA

I updated to latest BIOS yesterady. Same sleep problems.

But today, on battery, the computer went to sleep after 20 minutes idling, it resumed properly. I could also hibernate and resume without problems.

Testing now, with AC adapter, the problems still exist.

Paper Tape
same2you

[ Edited ]

I've been battling the same issue.  I've found that the UltraBay HDD adapter is my trigger.  If I remove that, and have the bay empty, then I have no issues resuming from sleep.  If I have it in, then I have the issue 100% of the time.  I have the 16GB config directly from IBM (4389-RW2), and I do not have the IBM power apps/driver installed.  The only HW changes made are the HDD adapter with a 500GB IBM supplied Seagate SATA drive installed, and the addition of a Mushkin 120GB SSD as the main HDD.

Gotta say... it's REALLY annoying.  The system is not completely unresponsive when it happens...  It does eventually resume, but it takes about 2 or 3 mins for it to do its thing, so I ens up sitting there... staring at a pulsing power buttion until it comes back to life.

Also... I am running the most recent BIOS that is posted that is supposed to fix a Sleep issue :smileysad: