Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
NH
Ctrl-Alt-Del
NH

W510 - System board, CPU, disk all replaced, laptop still freezing

[ Edited ]

[Update]: I should mention that my issue is very similar to those logged in this thread: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/W-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/New-TP-W510-freezing-randomly/td-p/320321/page.... In fact, several of the people there appear to be experiencing probelms even after the parts have been replaced (once). Trouble is, the solution is not clear. I guess on-site support is the only way to go? 

--

I'm at my wits' end.

I've tried everything and the laptop's been in and out of the shop for the last month and a half and STILL the freezing continues. Occasionally Windows (7, 64-bit) just hangs, CTRL - ALT - DEL doesn't respond and nothing's logged in either Application or System log after reboot.  That's one symptom, the other (less frequent) one is the dreaded "error 2100 - Hard drive initialization error", which we all know well.

All firmware drivers are up to date (Lenovo editions, not manufacturer's).

And some brief background. This all started mid-September when  the system board died (computer wouldn't turn on and so the board was replaced). Keep your fan clean, I was told. Something about it overheating. Anyway, that's when it all went  wrong. From the moment I brought it home, it started freezing regularly, with a host of different errors (a much wider spectrum than now). The computer was still fully functional but up to 1-4 times day it would need a hard reset. So then it went into the shop and during a hardware test on a different machine, the CPU showed a fault and so they replaced that too. After that replacement arrived, mid-stream in their verification tests, the disk died too and they ordered a new one. Ran some more tests then handed me back the laptop and IT STILL FREEZES.

This is not a cheap machine and I'm sick to my stomach over this experience.

And it's not a software problem, I guess it could be driver/firmware but I've checked these all repeatedly. 

The situation is so out of control that the authorized retailer I was working with here in Toronto has basically thrown in the towel and refused to look at it anymore. 

What's a guy to do?

It's still under warranty.

Guru
ColonelONeill

Re: W510 - System board, CPU, disk all replaced, laptop still freezing

Does it work okay if you take out the internal drive and boot a CD or USB version of Ubuntu?
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1080/670/1340, 21GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
NH
Ctrl-Alt-Del
NH

I'm next to certain that was part of the drill at the shop, the guy booted into his own programs and ran a personal diagnostic suite. Trouble is, it's next to impossible to reproduce, as each incident requires sustained use over several hours, and doesn't happen in predictable intervals.
Guru
PeterTWJ

Hi NH

Yes, W510 problems can be really intermittent, I encountered before numerous times and it was scary. Even if your laptop is in the service centre for 2 to 3 weeks, intermittent problems may not be able to produce within that time frame, and some really happens just for seconds, and somehow restarting it resolve the problem and you wont know when it will happen again.

Under worse scenario, Lencare may either replace to a W510 or W520 machine with similar or higher specs or a full refund. 

Hopefully you could get your case resolved asap. :smileyvery-happy:

Best Regards :smileyvery-happy:

Peter

=============================================
Does someone’s post help you? Give them kudos as a reward, as they will do better to improve :smileyvery-happy:

Mark it as solved if the solution works for you, so it could be reference for others in the future :smileyvery-happy:

Refunded Set: W510, 4876-A11

Current Set: W520, 4284-A99

Dolby Home Theater v4!

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/W-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/W520-Sound-Enhancement-Thread/m-p/451401#M1551... 

Bit Torrent
ThorsHammer

What "disk" do you have in your W510?

NH
Ctrl-Alt-Del
NH

The disk was INTEL SSDSA1M160G2LE.

It was using the latest RST drivers issued by Lenovo.

Lenovo finally decided to replace the machine and give me a new one (W520), I've discussed some of the differnces here:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/W-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/WEI-Disk-Scores-Older-W510-Performs-Better-Tha...

So far the new machine is holding up but it's too early to tell.

Guru
PeterTWJ

My experience between W510 and W520 was far difference. W520 was faster. Thinner and Lighter compared to HP or Dell. The bad part about W520 is probably the loosen hinge, speaker frame trapped dust and loosen palmrest (if machines fixed for multiple times, happened to my w510)

You are luckier compared to me. I did not have the chance to exchange to W520. I have to refund my W510 and wait for the W520. Congrats! Hope your W520 does not fail you this time. :smileyvery-happy:

Best Regards :smileyvery-happy:

Peter

=============================================
Does someone’s post help you? Give them kudos as a reward, as they will do better to improve :smileyvery-happy:

Mark it as solved if the solution works for you, so it could be reference for others in the future :smileyvery-happy:

Refunded Set: W510, 4876-A11

Current Set: W520, 4284-A99

Dolby Home Theater v4 (ThinkMix V2)!

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/W-Series-ThinkPad-Lapt​ops/W520-Sound-Enhancement-Thread/m-p/451401#M155... 

Paper Tape
breckb104

We have a separate thread going, but my hangs have all gone away... 

I quit using a 90W power supply that I had for a Thinkpad T60.    I have not had a single hang in 6 months.   I was having hangs 3-5 times daily.     Fairly clear cause and effect...

If you are using anything other than the 135W power supply,  test it and see.