Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Token Ring
alphaman

W510 Upgrades

Hi guys,
New user to the W510.

It currently has the i7 720QM and 8GB of DDR3.
Ideally I would want to make the upgrade to 16GB but was holding it off for time being.

I have yet to open up the system to have a look but CPU-Z is reporting the RAM wrongly I think.
It is stating  PC3-10700 (667MHz) but at least it confirms that it has 4 slots occuped with 2GB sodimms.

I will open up however to have a proper look.

However if the system is running slower due to bottleneck memory performance I will have to make the upgrade sooner rather than later...

Now my question to you is. Given the price of DDR3 just now and I've read the recomended speed for this CPU/Chipset is 1066MHz (8500) but for very little extra I can get some higher performance Corsair Vengeance memory.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/8gb-(2x4gb)-corsair-vengeance-performance-ddr3-so-dimm-pc3-12800-(160...

Even if it clocks down to the required speeds that's fine but I just want to know if it will work?

In the past I've used HP business series notebooks and I've found them to be very picky about hardware upgrades but I found that mostly to be built-in preference for HP certified parts - Are the IBM/Lenovo series similar in this regard?

I have other questions but I will ask later. 

Token Ring
alphaman

Re: W510 Upgrades

OK so I took the rear panel off tonight and had a look at the RAM.
It is Samsung PC3-10600 which is why it's being report as 10700 in CPU-Z.

I'm not familiar with the keyboard removal and if someone could provide me with a guide or tech manual to gain access - as I also want to clean out the heatsink as well if needed.

So the memory is actually 1333MHZ that is in my Thinkpad currently.

My other question is regarding the Turbo, I know it only works on certain software utilising single threads but I've ran Orthos for example to stress out a single core and the only difference I've seen is that the CPU goes from 1.6GHz to 1.73Ghz. I also installed the Intel Turbo Boost software.

Is the system being hindered at all by the usage of the faster RAM?? 

Token Ring
alphaman

I am also thinking about down the line installing a 256GB SSD and getting a bay to replace the DVDRW and install a second harddrive.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Also the official Lenovo part (Bay) versus compatible ebay parts?

Blue Screen Again
ivanz

I own an W510. Got an hdd caddy from ebay for 10 times the price of the official one - works like a charm (there is a small gap when you plug it in - but I hear that's the case with the official part and who cares about cosmetics with this beast). SSD makes a huge difference I am running with a 256GB SSD and a 128 SSD second drive and with 16GB it flies.

Before thinking serious upgrades though it looks like that the W510 -> W530 upgrade might bring noticable performance improvements (unlike the W520 -> W530 from what I read), so might be worth saving for an upgrade if you plan such.

Blue Screen Again
ivanz

[ Edited ]

Also forgot to mention that if you can't afford a large enough SSD (256GB at least - 128 is too small if you have large software installed. Also keep i mind that hibernation enabled means that there is a file equal the size of your RAM on disk which takes space - 16GB for me for example - you can turn off) you might want to consider a Seagate Momentus XT hybrid drive as an alternatie (500gb model has 4gb ssd cache and 750gb model has 8gb ssd cache, but SSD will be always faster.

Token Ring
alphaman

I've only just got the W510 so I don't think an upgrade to the new W530 is on the cards, although I wish it was!

SSD - I will probably go for a 256GB anyway due to that being the relative sweet spot just now.
2nd HDD - I will either throw in the existing 320GB in second bay or maybe a 1TB. It will mostly be used for storing files video/photos for editing when i'm on my travels. Although a USB3 external 2.5" drive would be just as useful.

I'm not decided on RAM yet - I ran a search on here and it seems some people have actually been able to get 32GB to work in the W510?  

Blue Screen Again
ivanz

[ Edited ]

No point in having 32GB ram - it's an overkill. Even if you run VMs you will saturate the CPU before you saturate the ram :smileyhappy: 16GB is more than enough.

BTW I am considering selling my 128GB SSD (ThinkPad official SSD ordered with laptop) to replace with a storage drive. It's a litle bit over 1 year old, but I have been using the 256GB as main for ~6 months, so not much used either. I am based in London (saw Scan, so assumed UK), so in case you are interested. It was bloody expensive at the time but I guess I am willing to sell for something like 70% of the market price of a 128GB drive or somewhere around that.

Token Ring
alphaman

I think you're best holding onto the 128GB drive yourself mate. Market value has sunk and a 120GB new technology SSD such as the new Sandisk models can be had for around £85. Selling at 70% of that value isn't worth it to yourself.
What I would say you do is pop it in a USB3 external enclosure and just use it as a super fast flash drive.

The price difference really isn't all that huge for me from 16GB to 32GB. However If I knew it would accept 8GB sticks I would buy those instead and only make use of 2 slots and leave other 2 for future upgrade perhaps. It's more or less same price for 2x8 as 4x4.

I plan to do lots of video editing and photo processing when I am travelling and running multiple programs like After Effects, Photoshop and Premiere etc etc and the more RAM the better.  Currently on my old desktop that I use 'Q6600 @3.6' I find myself constantly running low on RAM (8GB) and that's without even trying.

Fanfold Paper
mcmnky

[ Edited ]

alphaman wrote:

I'm not familiar with the keyboard removal and if someone could provide me with a guide or tech manual to gain access - as I also want to clean out the heatsink as well if needed.

W510 Hardware Maintenance Manual

Token Ring
alphaman

Thanks a lot :smileyhappy: