Support in other languages: 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
StuartHickson

W510 can't install W7 onto new Lenovo 256GB SSD

So I have a brand new Lenovo (Toshiba) 256GB SSD. SSD THNSFC256GAMJ.  Lenovo Part Number 45N7990. When I attempt to install Win7 onto on my W510 Type 4389-A97 it says there's no drive to install to and asks for a driver. I can't find a driver anywhere. The 160GB Intel SSD I have works fine.  Is there a driver I need? If so, where do I get it from? I can't even find reference to this drive on the Lenovo site yet is has a Lenovo part number. 

Retired Employee
Serge1410

Re: W510 can't install W7 onto new Lenovo 256GB SSD

hey StuartHickson,

is the Win7 which you're trying to install your own disc ?

anyway, have you made recovery media for your W510 using Rescue & Recovery? If you have, then I would like you to use those disc first and restore your unit.

once that is one, try installing W7 on your unit.

WW Social Media
Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
Have you checked out the Community Knowledgebase yet?!
How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.
Ctrl-Alt-Del
StuartHickson

I'm using an original Win7 Ultimate install disk downloaded from my MSDN subscription. I have also tried to use a CloneZilla image made from the same laptop but from a standard drive. CloneZilla can't see the disk either, which is high;y unusual. It's not a case of using unlicensed or dodgy software. This is licensed Windows. I had no issues with the 160GB Intel SSD with Lenovo part number 45N7968. 

Ctrl-Alt-Del
StuartHickson

I'm not trying to recover an install. I want to move from my 500GB SATA drive to the 256 SSD and I want to do a fresh install. I can use the 160GB SSD referred to below and it works, The 256GB doe snot work although the BIOS recognises it no problem.
Ctrl-Alt-Del
StuartHickson

After hours of stuffing around, I downloaded MiniTool Partition Wizard Bootable CD - this a great free tool and `it worked fine first time to create a partition that I could then install Windows on to >> http://www.partitionwizard.com/download.html . Lenovo were zero help. This drive is clearly not recognised by Windows7. Nothing else to add.