Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Blue Screen Again
dlrl

W510 - can't startup

I have W510, purchased in December of 2010. No major issues until several hours ago.

I was watching a live streaming webinar when my computer completely froze. I couldn't use Ctrl-Alt-Del or anything so I manually powered down and then turned my computer back on (I did not choose to start in safe mode when starting up), opened Firefox again and started watching the webinar again... and again everything froze. I manually powered down again. But when I tried to turn my computer back on... it was bad news.

I have tried over a dozen times to turn my laptop on and have had the following results:

- power button and other buttons light up but only get a black screen;

- get to first screen - lenovo start-up screen but it freezes there;

- get to the "Windows Error Recovery" screen (Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.) but cannot even select between Launch Startup Repair and Start Windows normally because the screen is frozen;

- get to the Windows Error Reovery screen and select Launch Startup Repair but it freezes after this is launched

- get to the Windows Error Recovery screen, select Start Windows Normally, but it freezes on the "Starting Windows" screen that follows

I actually luckily (probably around the10th try) was able to select Start Windows Normally and get everything to seem to start up normally. I thought that since I had finally had success the best thing would be to shut it down cleanly and then restart. This may have been a big mistake as I am back to not being able to get past a frozen Windows Error Recovery screen. I am pretty panicked because I have no idea how to get past this problem. Suggestions?

Does anyone know how to actually contact Lenovo support? Does it even exist? I can't even find a number on their website.

I am missing Dell Tech support now. I hope I won't regret switching from Dell to Lenovo.

Blue Screen Again
dlrl

Re: W510 - can't startup

Also, pushing the blue ThinkVantage button during startup does not do anything either...

Token Ring
xtsubarublazin

This is likely a hardware failure of some type but I just want to make sure: you don't have anything in any of the USB ports when you try starting up do you? Even a wireless mouse hub or something. Remove all peripherals.

Punch Card
Brad

Probably a hardware problem.

Check this.

http://www.lenovo.com/contact/ca/en/

Canadian tech support telephone numbers are 1-800-565-3344 or 416-383-3344.

Brad

Blue Screen Again
domaxx

broken motherboard

Thinkpad W530 i7-3820qm 20gb 128gb ssd+ 160 ssd FHD backlit
Token Ring
xtsubarublazin

This is kind of scary though, I have a W510 that I bought in June. Will I wake up one day to find it just stopped running?

Blue Screen Again
dlrl

Update: Problem Solved!

I finally was able to track down a tech support number for Lenovo Thinkpads: 1-800-426-7378. They had me start in safe mode by turning on my computer and  repeatedly hitting f8 (I always forget to try this). I got the following message:

Error
0210: Stuck Key 42

Press <F1> to Setup

It is a bit hard to believe that a stuck key was causing so much trouble but Chris in Atlanta from the number I called assured me it was the keyboard, had a new keyboard shipped to me next-day and (despite being a bit off in spelling my street name and neglecting my apartment number), I now have a new keyboard which I easily installed myself and my computer is back to normal.

Overall I wish the tech support number was much easier to find but am very satisfied once I was able to give them a call.

Blue Screen Again
loggedin

[ Edited ]

i had problem solved 3 times ,changed keyboard, change board ,changed machine.