Support in other languages: 
What's DOS?
pdestrais

W510 doesn't recognize Seagate FreeAgent Goflex USB3 drive

Hello,

I've just been buying a 1,5TB Seagate FreeAgent Goflex USB3 drive.

Unfortunatly, even after installation of the latest NEC electronics USB 3 Host controller drivers (v1.0.19.0) and latest USB 3 firmware (v3.0.2.5) from Lenovo support site, the drive is still not recognized on the USB3 ports of the machine.

It is well recognized and working on the USB2 port of the W510.

I'm using Windows 7 64 bit version on my W510.

I tried the drive on another computer under windows 7 64 bit and it worked at very high speed (as expected for USB3). It seems to be related to the W510 config.

Any solution for this problem ?

Thanks

tanujhanda
Topics: 3
Kudos: 80
Solutions: 65

Re: W510 doesn't recognize Seagate FreeAgent Goflex USB3 drive

This is the common compatibility issue with external drives

You should update the external drive firmware and install it's driver in Windows before  connecting it.

Try these steps as it should resolve the issue.

Best Regards,

Tanuj

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution".! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

What's DOS?
pdestrais

Hi,

There is no firmware available for the Seagate FreeAgent Goflex.

Concerning the driver, Windows is not trying to install any driver as the external drive is not even detected when plugged into a USB3 port.

The drive receives power as its light turns on and is not blinking.

When the drive is plugged into the any of the left-hand side USB3 port, it doesn't appear in error, it doesn't appear at all.

The external drive is only detected and correctly installed when connected on a USB 2 port...

802.11n
christopherlang

[ Edited ]

Based on all you wrote are you sure both your USB 3.0 ports are good then? And they could be, it could be drive firmware and an incompatability. You may wish to check with Seagate too. Have you tried another USB 3.0 device with those ports?

Paper Tape
engfelt

On W510, Lenovo only has 3.0.2.5 firmware so far published (in 2010), but there are newer firmwares available.

http://www.station-drivers.com/page/renesas.htm

After upgrading to 3.0.2.8 my USB3 ports started to work fine.

With old 3.0.2.5 Windows 8 crashed and I was not able to format USB devices and other issues (including FreeAgent).

I just tested and my Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex USB3 1.5TB drive works fine now. (I tried the lower USB3 port with F302808FWUP1.exe and also F303408FWUP1.exe)

Perhaps Lenovo should test and publish the latest firmware so not all users has to go through this time consuming process.