Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
su43berkut17

W510 shutsdown witn UDK or 3dsmax

hello!

I bought my W510 a couple of months ago. Lately it tends to shutdown when I use intensive graphic card software use such as UDK (unreal development kit) and 3dsmax 2012. Its so annoying it has gotten to the point where the software is open for a couple of minutes and then the computer shuts down, its impossible to work with it now. Even when i have 10 boxes in wifreframe, it still shutsdown.

Does anyone know how can i solve it? Is it something common? I have the latest drivers in my graphic card (Quadro FX 880M), I bought this computer because I needed better performance than my old HP DV-5 that ironically, works ok with UDK and 3dsmax with no shutdowns.

By the way, i've been playing Portal 2 on my W510 with no problems.

This is my configuration:

W510 - i5 M560 @ 2.67ghz

4gb, remaining 1 dimm slot

80gbs free on C:/   windows 7

Nvidia Quadro FX880M

Thank you very much!

Token Ring
thePCxp

Re: W510 shutsdown witn UDK or 3dsmax

Hi and welcome to the forums, su43berkut17. It looks like your W510 is shutting down because of overheating. Install the latest version of TPFanControl and check the temperature.
Best Regards,
Ryan Turner
Volunteer Lenovo Advocate
ThinkPads R51: 1836HAU, T41: 23737FU, 600: 264551U, T60: 2008VRQ
Lenovo C440
I Love Lenovo!
thePCxp on Twitter
Guru
PeterTWJ

Hi su43berkut

To add on, while you are running UDK or 3DMax, set it to Manual: 64, this pushes the fan to maximum to help reduce overall system temperature.

If it still does not run well, you could ask Lenovo Support to reapply thermal paste for your CPU and GPU.

Cheers :smileyvery-happy:

Peter
ThinkPad: W520 (4284-A99)

=============================================

Does someone’s post help you? Give them kudos as a reward, as they will do better to improve :smileyvery-happy:

Mark it as solved if the solution works for you, so it could be reference for others in the future :smileyvery-happy:

Dolby Home Theater v4 (Essential/IdeaPad/ThinkPad)

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/General-Discussion/Dolby-Home-Theater-v4-for-most-Lenovo-Laptops/td-p/62...

Paper Tape
su43berkut17

I think I solved it, it was not a heating problem as it gets hotter when I play portal 2 with max setting for hours ^^ However I read that for udk nvidia recommends to set up the quadro global settings to game development preset, now it doesn't shut down with udk nor 3dsmax. that is so weird as it should only affect performance in different situations and not shutdown issues... anyway it works now, thanks!