Support in other languages: 
What's DOS?
geluidsgolf

W520 Dual display settings revert to low resolution in win logon

Hey all, I have a W520 with a Nvidia quadro 2000m. I have a 2nd monitor connected with a native resolution of 1366x768 which I use to Extend my desktop. The main monitor is my laptops screen which has 1920x1080. Every time I reboot my computer I can see the windows logon screen and I still have the high resolution on my main laptop screen for a few seconds. After that the 2nd monitor connected switches on and my main laptop monitor switches back to the native 1366x768 resolution from the 2nd monitor and also it doesn't extend but clone my desktop. I have to manually correct it in the Nvidia control panel every time I boot. I installed the newest Nvidia drivers from the Nvidia site without result. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
tanujhanda
Topics: 3
Kudos: 80
Solutions: 65

Re: W520 Dual display settings revert to low resolution in win logon

It seems the display setting are not getting save.

You may check with creating the different user account and if the issue persist then update the BIOS

Best Regards,

Tanuj

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution".! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

802.11n
Jimbo

[ Edited ]

tanujhanda wrote:

You may check with creating the different user account and if the issue persist then update the BIOS

Best Regards,

Tanuj

Tanuj, thanks for all the help you've been giving to users, but would it be possible for you to stop telling users to update their BIOS from within Windows? It's instead much safer to update the BIOS from an ISO image used to form a boot CD.

The problem is, and we've seen this over and over again in this forum, too many things can happen within Windows that cause the BIOS update to fail, which then destroys the user's computer. And then, particularly if they're out of warranty, the user completely loses their investment in their computer. Ask most advanced users in this forum, and they will say how bad of an idea it is to update your BIOS from within Windows.

Here are a few recent cases, for example, where users have destroyed their computer out of warranty by updating their BIOS from within Windows. Perhaps you can arrange for Lenovo to do something for these users:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/W-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/WANTED-Thinkpad-W510-BIOS-FL1-or-WPH-Update-Fi...
http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/W-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/W500-BIOS-update-failure/td-p/724683

Also see the following for more info::

10 common mistakes you should avoid when flashing your BIOS
"Flashing your BIOS from within Windows is universally discouraged by motherboard manufacturers."

BIOS-Update Howto: 2. Choose Update method
"most accidents happen (to ~ 75%) clearly under Windows... The timing to program an IC is extremely important, because bytes are programmed in nano- or microseconds cycles onto the chip. If your OS, or an installed software freezes or has a blackout - e.g. while your E-Mail client receiving new E-Mails, or your AV software is starting a virus scan, or your OS is installing a new update in the background - then the BIOS-Chip is programmed incorrectly and nothing works after a reboot."

Demystifying BIOS updates - The DOs and DO NOTs
"OK, time for lesson #1. If you want to dramatically reduce the chances of hosing your system, never, ever, update the BIOS from within Windows... Of all the trashed BIOSes that I’ve come across (more of this in a moment), a good 90% were trashed because the Windows-based updater didn’t do what it was supposed to do."

http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Aforums.lenovo.com+bios+update+failed+OR+failure+%22from+window...

Also, replacing a user's motherboard under warranty, due to a failed BIOS update, costs Lenovo a lot of money. So by reducing the likelihood of BIOS update failure by NOT updating the BIOS within Windows, you save Lenovo money.

I realize that you're trying to do your best to help users. And I know that Lenovo tech support does occasionally search through these forums for solutions, when it encounters a problem with which it has difficulty. Perhaps this can be one of those times where we users help you with a support problem.

Thanks!

tanujhanda
Topics: 3
Kudos: 80
Solutions: 65

Hello Jimbo,

Thank you for the update, However, Windows BIOS is much safer as compare to ISO image.

user more prefer to update the BIOS more from the Windows rather than ISO, many netbook do not come with optical driver or user may not able to update BIOS with ISO image.

In future we may provide the both the option to the user to update the BIOS.

Best Regards,

Tanuj

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution".! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

802.11n
Jimbo

"Windows BIOS is much safer as compare to ISO image"

Tanuj, do you have any information to support that? Because it would be very interesting to see it. Also, you should contact Mark_Lenovo and Cleo_Lenovo and tell them, because they wrote a Lenovo Community Knowledge Base article that says just the opposite.

"many netbook do not come with optical driver or user may not able to update BIOS with ISO image"

We're in the W-Series forum, and all of the W-Series laptops come with optical drives (although some people may be booting from a hard drive or SSD that resides in the laptop's optical bay).

"In future we may provide the both the option to the user to update the BIOS."

For all of the W-Series machines, Lenovo ALREADY provides both options, which I'm surprised you didn't know.

Anyway, good luck!

Bit Torrent
ThorsHammer

I don't recall reading about anyone bricking a machine with a CD based BIOS update.

I have read countless stories about people bricking machines using the .EXE.

Token Ring
xtsubarublazin

ThorsHammer wrote:

I don't recall reading about anyone bricking a machine with a CD based BIOS update.

I have read countless stories about people bricking machines using the .EXE.

I did, which resulted in the domino effect of four motherboards, four new machines, and finally a Dell.

802.11n
christopherlang

I doubt this is a BIOS related issue. It is more just flakey video drivers, slow support and slow updates that are the issues.

Guru
ColonelONeill

ISO updates are more reliable in my view as they bypass many modes of failure while introducing one or two of its own.

Never had trouble with the EXE myself as I put my system into failsafe operating conditions beforehand (I never let System Update do it automatically) by shutting down everything outside of core Windows.

As for OPs query, I think a similar issue was fixed in a graphics driver update for unplugging an external monitor reverting the resolution to 800x600 or something like that.

W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1099/688/1377, 22GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
TPT1: 1839-23U, stock ICS
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
802.11n
Jimbo

[ Edited ]

christopherlang wrote:

I doubt this is a BIOS related issue. It is more just flakey video drivers, slow support and slow updates that are the issues.

I notice that there are a LOT of reports of similar behavior on Microsoft's site:

http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?query=Screen%20resolution%20changes%20on%20restart&...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2406828