06-07-2012 01:43 PM
I have a w520, with a 128 SSD in the main slot with the original 500 HDD in the UltraBay. On wake from hibernation the system tries to eject the drive.
I have tried a few solutions:
1. Windows 7 rebuild from scratch
2. Format HDD
3. Disable Write Caching
4. Install Intel RST
The rebuild worked until I did a driver update at which point the problem resurfaced.
Help would be awesome, thanks all!
Solved! Go to Solution.
06-08-2012 03:33 AM - edited 06-08-2012 05:59 AM
Hi. By ejecting do you mean disconnecting? Just wanted to confirm. I have a drive connected to the external eSATA port and was getting disconnects/reconnects until the drive finally did not show any longer in RST. Sounds like your problem could be the same (it just started happening to me yesterday for some reason). I am trying the latest Lenovo RST drivers to see if they make any difference. What version of RST did you try to update to? Do you have the latest RST drivers from Lenovo? There are also some SSD related fixes (not sure if just for RAID though) in later RST versions than Lenovo's so you may wish to also try other RST releases. There are some posts on the RST drivers in one of the other threads here in the forum. Shouldn't be too hard for you to find :-).
06-12-2012 01:21 PM
Thanks for the reply. It is Ejecting, it pops up the window saying "Windows cannot Eject the drive, one or programs" well duh Windows, I don't want you ejecting it!
I upgraded to the latest Intel RST Drivers... 10.8.0.1003
I haven't tried the Lenovo ones, unless they are installed with the rest of the system update in which case I had them and they didn't work either.
I'll sort around for other RST related posts, I did see another post like my in the T forums... http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T400-T500-and-newer-T-
06-12-2012 02:29 PM
Solution! I found a post by ThorsHammer that mentioned the same issue:
1. I upgraded the RST Drivers with the ones found here:
2. Did a full system update
3. Then uninstalled, uninstalled want to empasize that, the Intel RST driver utility (the one I got from Intel's site) and now it works!
Just a big heads up though, unless there was an update in the past 2 weeks, I was having this issue before I went mucking about with the RST drivers; meaning a straight Windows 7 install with all updates coming through the Lenovo Updater still had the issue.
Hope this helps other folks!
06-12-2012 03:23 PM - edited 06-12-2012 03:23 PM
Pretty simple it sounds like. You just needed to upate your RST drivers. Cool.
Btw I have not been getting disconnects using the new drivers either.