Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
arda

W520- FHD- Color Profile

I have read plenty of posts about the issues everyone was having regarding the FHD screen and color profile on their W520. I recently got a W520 from the Lenovo Outlet. It has the color sensor as well. Upon booting it up and setting the regular Windows BS, I went ahead and tried out the color calibration as I thought the colors were too saturated. Well, as with most of the people who complained about the sensor, I too had a terrible outcome once the calibration was done. 

I downloaded the latest driver for the LCD with and applied the correect ICM profile (wide vieving etc..) but colors are still too hard to stare at. Sensor calibrated profiles are a joke as they result in too yellowish whites regardless of the calibration settings.

I tried to fix the colors by using the Intel toolbox; a little better but still not acceptable. Then I tried the Nvidia control panel, still no dice. After exhausting all the options I had, I went ahead and called the tech support at Atlanta. Super friendly guys over there btw. I will have them look at the drivers and such through remote access sometime today and I assume I will have to send it in.

My question is; has anyone sent their laptop in for this problem and actually got it back with a nicely calibrated LCD? 

I peeked into the lcd while calibration was being performed and realized something which might be the problem:

As the colors are sequenced with decreasing brightness starting with RED and GREEN, once its time to do the BLUE color, brightness of the LCD actually never reaches the same levels that of the RED or GREEN. For RED and GREEN, they start at highest brightness level, then decrease until its almost black. But for BLUE, well its not really blue to start with and the brightness is very very low. Its almost black when it starts and as the calibration progresses, brightness does not change at all. 

Now, I do not know if that is how calibration is supposed to be performed but comparing to RED and GREEN it does seem odd to me. Any how, I will report back here once I get the tech support guys take a look at it remotely which I dont think will help at all since I have all the latest drivers in place.

Bu in the mean time if anyone had an experience with the tech support dealing with this problem, it would be nice to share here for everyone else.

Thanks,

eos
Token Ring
eos

Re: W520- FHD- Color Profile

You have to view with an application which is colour profile aware. Windows 7 is dumb, and thinkgs like the desktop will look horible as it doesnt convert the image, which is probably sRGB, into the extended gamut colour space.

Check your colours in photoshop.

If they are still bad, get a proper colour meter.

I got good resutls from the color munki photo, BUT it cant handle multiple monitors.  It thinks it can, but if change the config, it gets confused, and switches the wrong profiles with the wrong monitors.  At this point, you have two options:

1) unistnall the color munki drivers, sw, and reboot

2) re-calibrate.

I have to do this at least once every three weeks.  Their support is non-existant - wasted many hours trying to talk to someone who knew something - gave up after 3 months getting no where.  I have heard the spyder support is just as bad.

Guru
ColonelONeill

I used some profile someone uploaded a while ago, and it's very good IMO. My wallpapers don't look oversaturated either.
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1090/695/1390, 22GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
TPT1: 1839-23U, stock ICS
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
Ctrl-Alt-Del
filipposc83

I have the same problem as well. This model does not have the calibrator though. The colours are oversaturated, I am a photographer and this will affect my work. I have just got it yesterday and i  am returing it. 

Have you solved your problem?

eos
Token Ring
eos

high gamut displays like the 1080p lenovo one will always display colours oversaturated in apps which dont know about colour profiles, as it will assume the display is sRGB. This include the desktop. To get wallpapers to display without oversaturation, you will need to convert them to the monitors profile (but label them as sRGB to fool windows into displaying the right colours). Windows is very stupid when it comes to colours, and leaves it to each app to handle it.
Token Ring
qwerty42

Lenovo definitely won't do anything to help your problems through customer service. The built-in calibrator and software on the W520s is universally terrible on all of them. You are honestly better off not using it at all, as the colors are closer to correct prior to calibration.

That being said, please see this post: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/W-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/W520-LED-backlight-and-LCD-quality/td-p/739831  I think you will find what you're looking for there!

eos
Token Ring
eos

@qwerty42, in which apps are you comparing the collors from calibrated to uncalibrated? You can only compare calibration results in photoshop/firefox etc. on images which have a properly tagged colour space.
Guru
ColonelONeill

You can force Firefox to apply the profile even on non-tagged images using gfx.color_management.mode = 1 in about:config.
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1090/695/1390, 22GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
TPT1: 1839-23U, stock ICS
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
Token Ring
qwerty42

@ eos,

All of my statements are based on color managed applications (I'm very familiar with how color management works within Windows, including calibrating/profiling multiple monitors, printers, cameras, and the way that those profiles are applied).

That being said, the built in calibrator+software that comes with the W520 is truly terrible, and produces results that are clearly in error. However, if the display is calibrated with better hardware & software, it is exceedingly good for a non-IPS LCD.

Token Ring
qwerty42

I linked a post above with some of the color profiles I've made for the W520 FHD display, but here is a link for those that don't want to read through the whole thread. For those that don't know how to install these, I put a little tutorial in the other thread, or you can install dispCalGUI (it's free) and have that program install the profile for you. Make sure to disable the original x-rite processes for the built-in calibrator in msconfig so the profile loaders aren't conflicting with each other.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wiqq8sxjglwoj5q/dispcalGUI%20ThinkPad%20W520%20Display%201920%202012-04-30...