Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
ORahmo

W520 Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 Problems

Just had my new W520

Very happy with it but i found 2 problems with the wireless Adapter

1 - When i just opened it and was copying some stuff (Wireless Connection) from my computer it gets disconnects and reset the copying

2- Other than using the computer in my work i play world of warcraft, and while doing so i found a problems where i get HUGE! lag spikes

when i was trying to figure out the problem i just Pinged www.yahoo.com to see if my connection is responsible for my lags or not and i have found the following

I- Comparing with my desktop which is connected by cable i have Double the response time

II- Comparing with my Desktop in the packets lost, my Laptop have more packets lost than my desktop

that leaded me to simply get a cable and when i did this my ping became same as my Desktop

HOW COME!?

does anyone have the same problem

and 1 of my friends suggested that i use DPC program to check performance and every 1 min i get 2 or 3 Over 8k us

my current driver is 

802.11n
huberth

Re: W520 Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 Problems

[ Edited ]

Are you using "Lenovo Access Connections"? 

(I don't and I have fairly stable wi-fi connections.)

802.11n
eos

I have the same problem with my wired adapter - my 6 year old PC has solid ping times and can play WOT or P4DII no problem, but the Lenovo just laggs out and loses the connection almost every game. Both are connected to the same gigabit switch.
Paper Tape
ORahmo

i am just using the Windows Access Connections

What's DOS?
cliffordm71

I am having similar issues with several T520's we purchased. Each has the Centrino Advanced-N 6205. After much research and useless support from Lenovo I had no luck. One post I had read discussed power management. While the fix this post suggested did not work it got me thinking about the power management utility on the Lenovo's. I went to the Lenovo Thinkvantage Tools, Opened Power Control, clicked on Advanced and then selected Maximum Performance. Clicked Apply and it seems to have worked. Can you give this a try and see if it's really this simple?

RAID Mirror
PanEuropean

I think that Clifford has nailed the solution in his post directly above. 

For unknown reasons, when the power plan is set to "power source optomized", the power consumption for PCI devices is set to 'maximum power savings'. To correct this, proceed as follows:

1) Open "Lenovo Power Controls", which can be found in the Control Panel folder.  This will launch the 'Power Manager' application.

2) Press the 'Advanced' button in the upper right corner.  It will say "Switch to: Advanced".  If it says "Switch to: Basic", then you are already in advanced mode, you don't have to do anything for this step of the process.

3) Press the maximize button in the upper right of the Power Manager window (this is optional, but it is a heck of a lot easier to work with the Power Manager when it is expanded to full screen size and you can see much more of everything at one glance.

4) Click the downward pointing caret symbol beside 'Advanced Settings' to expand the selection of various advanced settings.

5) Go to 'PCI Express' (second item from the top in the Advanced Settings Group) and select OFF for power management when you are running on external power.  You can select whatever you want when you are running on battery power.  Battery power is the left vertical column, external power is the right vertical column.  Press the APPLY button in the lower right of the screen to make your selection stick.  Then press OK to dismiss Power Manager.

That should solve your problem.

Be aware that if you update Power Manager to a newer version in the future, you may have to go and do all this again.

Michael

W520 (4270 CTO), which replaced a W500 (4062-27U), which replaced a T42P, which replaced an A21P...
Punch Card

I have same network card. I found out that my internet speed when I use Clear Wireless is slower than my old laptop sometimes.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
W520 4276-23U | Intel i7-2920 XM CPU | 16 GB RAM | Nvidia Quardo 2000M | 1920x1080 Display | Intel Advanced- N 6205 | Color Sensor | Finger Print Reader | BIOS1.34
What's DOS?
Pseudothink

PanEuropean wrote:

I think that Clifford has nailed the solution in his post directly above. 

Agreed.  I just received a new T420 for work, and I was trying to figure out why I was getting ~50% packet loss on one of my networks with it, and significantly higher latencies on another.  Changing Windows' wireless power saving mode from "Maximum Power Saving" to "Maximum Performance" resolved both problems.  (This is done under Control Panel > Power Options > Edit Plan Settings > Change Advanced Power Settings).

Thinkpad T61p - 15.4" WSXGA+ Samsung LCD - nvidia Quadro FX 570M 256MB - T7300 2.0 GHz - 1 GB RAM - 100 GB Hitachi 7200 RPM - Intel WiFi ABGN - Fingerprint Reader - Windows XP 32-bit - 3DMark06 score: 3965
What's DOS?
tiamatschosen

i have a gateway nv57h.   i know this is a lenova site but i have the exact same issue with the same wireless cards.   this is the only post that made sense on how to possiblly fix it.  does anyone happen to know what steps i would have to take to get mine fixed?