Support in other languages: 
Blue Screen Again
slyraider
Accepted Solution

W520 LED backlight and LCD quality

[ Edited ]

First of all, thinkpads are the best notebooks, really. But please, stop using pulse-width modulation to dim brightness of LED-backlit screens, it's flickers when using screen at any brightness other than full. It's really eye-straining!
Another issue is TN LCD in such a hi-end thinkpad as W520 (yes, I mean that 95% gamut full HD display, and, yes, even after calibration), it's not bad comparing to other thinkpad LCDs, but please use IPS LCDs for high-end models. Guys, thinkpad LCD are the worst part of thinkpad, if you thing "it's business product, not consumer one, LCDs are fine", you are wrong, business models need professional screens as well.

Moderator note; profanity removed Forum Rules

Blue Screen Again
SniperXP

Re: W520 LED backlight and LCD quality

[ Edited ]

I am a W520 suer.......LED backlight........

I am really VERY disappointed with the monitor of W520. 

Yes, it's very sharp in all R/G/B, but the color is always incorrect especially in the range of 200-255

Red (FF0000), Green (00FF00), Blue (0000FF), all are more than enough....and no way to adjust even with the color calibrator.

One more, the LED backlight control the brightness by flashing the LED with a lower frequency.

The "flashing", or it should be called "flickering", make the eye very tired in a short period of time.

I can use this monitor with maximum brightness only.....so sad.

Token Ring
qwerty42

[ Edited ]

The FHD screen is actually excellent in color accuracy and reproduction. It's just the built-in calibrator and supplied software that are abysmal. If you use good software and an external calibrator, you will be blown away by how good the screen really is. After calibrating mine, it achieved 91% coverage of AdobeRGB and 103% the total gamut volume of AdobeRGB. That's very impressive for a laptop display. Here are summarized figures for the actual color accuracy (if you're not familiar with these, a delta-E less than one is considered excellent, and nearly imperceivable by the eye). These numbers are very good.

Link to picture

Moderator note; picture(s) totalling >50K converted to link(s) Forum Rules

Bit Torrent
ThorsHammer

qwerty42 wrote:

The FHD screen is actually excellent in color accuracy and reproduction. It's just the built-in calibrator and supplied software that are abysmal. If you use good software and an external calibrator, you will be blown away by how good the screen really is. After calibrating mine, it achieved 91% coverage of AdobeRGB and 103% the total gamut volume of AdobeRGB. That's very impressive for a laptop display. Here are summarized figures for the actual color accuracy (if you're not familiar with these, a delta-E less than one is considered excellent, and nearly imperceivable by the eye). These numbers are very good.

What sensor and software do you use?

Blue Screen Again
slyraider

qwerty42 wrote:

The FHD screen is actually excellent in color accuracy and reproduction. It's just the built-in calibrator and supplied software that are abysmal. If you use good software and an external calibrator, you will be blown away by how good the screen really is. After calibrating mine, it achieved 91% coverage of AdobeRGB and 103% the total gamut volume of AdobeRGB. That's very impressive for a laptop display.

Could you please share the ICC profile you have got? I'd like to check if there would be a difference. The address is kolomiets at darwincode.org. Thank you in advance!

Guru
ColonelONeill

Yes, do share! :smileyvery-happy:
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1090/695/1390, 22GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
TPT1: 1839-23U, stock ICS
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
Blue Screen Again
SniperXP

Support, share icc.......

I can never make a good icc by using the built-in calibrator and bundled software

Token Ring
qwerty42

[ Edited ]

Here you go, enjoy! These were made with a Spyder3 and dispcalGUI. I've also used ColorEyes Display Pro and it gives very similar results, but the consistency in the dark gray tones is not as good.

Some important info about these profiles: the first link is a very precise LUT-based profile combined with an inverted matrix-based profile. I'd recommend most of you don't use this profile unless you understand color management. If you use this profile with a program that does not support XYZ-LUT profiles, then it will show the colors as inverted (ex. Windows Photo Viewer). The is done intentionally because it lets you know it's not using the more-accurate LUT-based profile and is instead using the less-accurate matrix based profile (which is the color-inverted profile). However, using this profile with a truly color-managed app like Photoshop or Lightroom will yield very, very nice results. White point 6500K/D65, gamma 2.2.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hmdbau8c32y5yt9/dispcalGUI%20ThinkPad%20Display%201920%202012-04-30%20D650...

This second profile will work acceptably with most programs. It's not quite as extremely accurate as the first, but still very good. The gamma curve for this profile is L* instead of 2.2, which I prefer for most normal use, because it lessens the "black crush" at the bottom of the gamma curve and makes shadow details more visible. White point, again, is 6500K/D65.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ruyk59sqdu7orbe/dispcalGUI%20ThinkPad%20Display%201920%202012-04-30%20D650...

If you don't know how to have Windows load these for you:

-First, copy the profiles to C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color (this is where Windows stores color profiles for devices). Or, you can simply right-click on the files and select "Install Profile"... but we're not done yet.

-Next, go to Control Panel > Color Management

-Make sure at the top, next to Device, it says "Display: 1. ThinkPad ..."

-Put a check mark in the box that says "Use my settings for this device"

-In the box under "Profiles associated with this device," you may or may not see the profiles I gave you (they start with "dispcalGUI Thinkpad Display ...") If they are not listed, click "Add..." and select them from the list, click Ok.

-Now, find the one you want to use (for most I'd recommend "dispcalGUI ThinkPad... HQ 3xCurve+MTX"), click on it to highlight it, then click "Set as Default Profile"

-Now, click the "Advanced" tab at the top, and down at the bottom, click "Change system defaults..." In the new window that pops up, click the Advanced tab again (Don't change anything else!)

-Put a check in the box that says "Use Windows display calibration," click "Reload current calibrations" and then click close on all the windows

You should have seen the screen change slightly, and the display profile is now loaded. Windows will now load it automatically on its own.

One last important bit of advice:  one of the Intel processes that runs on the W520 will un-load the display calibrations whenever the screen darkens for a Windows UAC prompt, or after coming back from sleep. Instructions for fixing that are here: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/W-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/w520-color-calibration-issue/td-p/728457

EDIT:  forgot to add, one last thing, this is very important:  go to start, type in msconfig, click the "Startup" tab, and UN-CHECK "X-RITE Legacy Device," "CalibrationLoader5.0," AND "Color Calibrator Tray." Click apply, then ok. These are the processes associated with the built-in color sensor, if you have it, and they may interfere with Windows loading the profiles.

Josh

Blue Screen Again
slyraider

qwerty42 wrote:

Here you go, enjoy!  

Oh sh..! Josh!.. No words!..

THANKS A LOT, MAN!

Both profiles are perfect, especially the LUT one.

The only oquestion I have now is to Lenovo guys, why dont they include high quality profile like yours into the preload?

Token Ring
qwerty42

Haha, no prob. Glad you like them!

I've wondered the same thing, and not just with Lenovo. Screen-to-screen variation isn't that huge, so it would be very easy to calibrate one and provide the profile with all new laptops of the same type.