Support in other languages: 
Bit Torrent
ThorsHammer

Re: W520 LED backlight and LCD quality

I figured it out.  It was stupid user error.  I was right mouse clicking the link and doing a SAVE AS instead of just clicking your link.  It was downloading the dropbox script, not the .ICM.

It's installed and working.

It looks very similar to the profile I ended up with the last time I used the Spyder3Elite and the Datacolor software.  I like yours better so now I am interested in checking out dispcalGUI.

Thanks very much!

802.11n
Jimbo

[ Edited ]

Great description of the limits of the profiling process, Josh. My graduate work was in computer vision and signal processing, so that resonates with me.

And thanks for providing the description of how Lenovo would include the profiles. The reason I asked is that I know that Lenovo employees are reading this thread, and I know they'll wonder what they should tell engineering. So you've just answered that question for them.

One thing I wonder is how warm does the left side of the computer get, near the area of the speaker and hinges, during the calibration process with dispcalGUI. I don't think the computations would produce much heat but, if they do, then having the lid closed for tens of minutes, or a couple of hours as you described, may put the LCD at risk. One question that had come up with Chatbox's work was, how long of a profiling process do you need to perform with dispcalGUI and the built-in sensor before you reach the point of diminishing returns?

I'm using a W700 myself, and its built-in calibrator works extremely well with the supplied software and with the W700's 400 NIT dual-fluorescent-backlit display. I've lent what help I could both here and in the thinkpads.com thread, but I can't replicate what goes on within the W520.

Token Ring
qwerty42

ThorsHammer -- Great, glad you got it working! I've used the Datacolor Spyder3Elite software and it was very easy to use, and very fast, but when I compared any profiles I made with it to ColorEyes I always noticed subtle color shifts and banding with the Datacolor profiles. I just started using dispcalGUI myself in the last couple weeks, and I have to say I am VERY impressed. And it's FREE!

Jimbo -- that's an interesting point and a very good question. My W520 stays very cool unless I'm doing demanding computational work with it, but the color profiling process of reading the various color patches is minimal to the CPU. The end of the process where it calculates the corrections based on the patch readings is more demanding, but it doesn't take very long. When I get around to testing the built-in sensor with dispcalGUI I'll check the temperatures while it's running. I think the time invested vs. quality of profile is probably an exponential fall-off... you can get 95% of the way to a very accurate profile in 10 minutes or so. It's the subtle details like the accuracy of dark colors and very smooth tonal transitions that take the most time, and I'd bet most typical users would never notice the difference in normal usage.

Yours and others' comments about the W700's built-in calibrator working extremely well makes me very eager to try the W520's with dispcalGUI... I believe they are the same color sensor, correct? Maybe Lenovo/X-Rite just dropped the ball and didn't correct the software for the LED-backlit screen of the W520. In fact, that may explain the odd green hue you get from the W520's factory software at 6500K white point...

Josh

Punch Card
zsero

I've just wanted to add one suggestion. I think the easiest way to install a profile and switch on windows color management for new users is to actually download dispcalGUI and click Install Profile... Cannot be easier than that!
802.11n
Jimbo

[ Edited ]

qwerty42 wrote:

Yours and others' comments about the W700's built-in calibrator working extremely well makes me very eager to try the W520's with dispcalGUI... I believe they are the same color sensor, correct? Maybe Lenovo/X-Rite just dropped the ball and didn't correct the software for the LED-backlit screen of the W520. In fact, that may explain the odd green hue you get from the W520's factory software at 6500K white point...

Josh

Yes, my understanding is that the sensor is the same. However, it likely has different filters on it, for use with the RGB-LED backlight. The built-in sensor is a colorimeter, and my understanding is that it won't give you as good of results with RGB-LED backlights as with spectrophotometer-type calibrators, but that it can do a pretty good job if the filters are chosen correctly. I have an article somewhere about exactly that topic, and I'll post a link to it if I get a chance to dig it up.

One wrinkle in Chatbox's work is that she's using a different display. But she's a sharp programmer, and she's taken dispcalGUI further with the built-in sensor than anyone else apparently has. She just needs a few details about Lenovo's IBMPMSVC software to finish everything up. Until then, anyone who wants to use that software with the built-in sensor will have to perform the user-unfriendly workaround described in the thinkpads.com thread.

But if dispcalGUI can produce high-quality results with the built-in sensor, then you have a great low-cost solution. And, even if it takes awhile to get a good profile, you shouldn't have to recalibrate very often with an RGB-LED backlight.

Token Ring
qwerty42

[ Edited ]

zsero - I agree! I should have suggested that with my original post. It's a great piece of software.

Jimbo - interesting. Assuming they did update the W520's filters for the LED backlight, I'm very curious why the factory software creates such horrible profiles. I mean, they are truly awful, and much worse than the uncalibrated display.

I think the fact that Chatbox is using a different display shouldn't be too big of a deal, assuming the color sensor is accurate with the W520's stock LED backlighting. I would LOVE to see her version of the software that works as easily as Lenovo's, but actually does a good job. Then all the poor saps like me who bought the color sensor thinking it would give them a nice built-in display calibration will actually get their money's worth from it! :smileyhappy:

Serial Port
JayNYC

Any comments or observations about the Viewing Angle of the W520 vs. the X220 (IPS) ?   or for the old school folks W520 vs. T60 (Flexview) ?

802.11n
Jimbo

[ Edited ]
Punch Card
finalpatch

Hi qwerty42,

Your profiles do wonders to my W520! Could you also upload a matrix based profile (so that it works in a wider range of applications) with gamma 2.2? Thank you!!

Punch Card
finalpatch

In fact, never mind. and for anyone else who want custom profiles for the w520 lcd panel, you  could easily create your own profile with dispcalgui. simply choose the profile type and select "Create profile from measurement data...” from the options menu, then select qwerty42's profile. the software will rerun the calculation from the same measurement data and create a new profile. you don't even need to have a calibrator device.