Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
802.11n
Jimbo

Re: W520 LED backlight and LCD quality

[ Edited ]

zsero, I assume you're now using the FHD, so how do the profiles qwerty42 generated with his Spyder3 and dispcalGUI compare with what you've generated with the FHD, built-in calibrator, and dispcalGUI?

Thanks! 

Token Ring
w520user999

Josh,

I've been using the profile that you uploaded for a couple of days now.   Fantastic!!!!

Thanks for posting the profiles and instructions.   It is posts like yours that make Lenovo community worth coming back to.

W520: UNSUPPORTED SYSTEM
Punch Card
zsero

His profiles are much higher quality! I have no way to tell, only my eye, but the one generated with Spyder3 looks much higher quality.

Punch Card
zsero

[ Edited ]

OK, after a lot of trial and error I could create the profile to use from qwerty's measurement data:

It is using the data from the XYZLUT one, but has 3 curves + matrix and gamma 2.2. So it's a combination of both.

Use this profile, as programs like ACDSee have bugs with the XYZLUT one. Also the colors are not inverted in Firefox with this one:

http://ifile.it/ynvfdsp

Install it using dispcalGUI, it's the easiest way to get all the settings correct!

Token Ring
qwerty42

Hi all, sorry for the late response... glad to see everyone is having so much success with the display profiles!

finalpatch -- Thanks for the info! That is a great feature of dispcalGUI, and I had no idea it could do that until I saw your post. If anyone else does this too, please use the XYZ-LUT profile that I uploaded as your starting point, because it's based on many more measurements than the other one (I also had the temperature drift compensation turned on for the Spyder sensor when I made it, which took forever but had great results).

I agree with zsero's recommendation of using dispcalGUI to install the profiles, it's the easiest way if you don't mind having an extra program installed. (It is a great piece of software though.)

If anyone needs help with anything, just let me know. I want to make sure that everyone who wants to see great color on their screens is successful :smileyhappy:

Josh

Punch Card
Getsby

[ Edited ]

You’ve done great job with dispcalGUI profiles! Thanks! Now my W520 FHD LCD look (colorwise) almost like IPS LCD on my old T60p (still can’t get over it), of course only if I’m wearing cervical collar to keep sweet spot viewing angle. :smileywink:

When I turn off Nvidia Optimus in BIOS and enable only Nvidia Quadro 2000M both profiles looks (to me) oversaturated. Can you please try same thing on your ThinkPad and share your opinion?

Did you calibrated LCD using integrated graphic card or discrete?

Guru
ColonelONeill

Which GPU you use should be independent of the effect of the color profile. That said, do remember to disable the Intel graphics start up entries using MSCONFIG. They will override the color profiles.
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1090/695/1390, 22GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
TPT1: 1839-23U, stock ICS
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
Ctrl-Alt-Del
filipposc83

Does the above solution goes for the W520 without the colour calibrator right?
The lenovo technicians do not have a clue when i was telling them the problem. The run diagnostics and did not find anything wrong they said, For me they are useless as they dont know how to repair their own machines!
Paper Tape
ptrsergey

I would like to ask the same - can a profile be loaded without coloremeters installed.

Qwerty42: would your W520 prfile work on a W530? Display and hardware signatures the same?

Blue Screen Again
slyraider

Profile perfectly works on models without calibrator, and it will work for W530 far as it has the same screen.