Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
802.11n
ZipZap

Betreff: W520: No sound via speakers just one click

[ Edited ]

Hi, DaCza,

I had my speakers replaced last week at my local Authorized Lenovo Service Center. It took them 1 week to get the part, and 2 hours to turn the machine around.

I guess I'm ok with it because I didn't have to relinquish my machine, except for 1/2 day.

The insanity is, when I first called Lenovo, they suggested I mail it to them in Atlanta. Yeah, right!

BTW: My work around while I was waiting was to use my tiny Motorola EQ5 Bluetooth speakers when I needed portable sound. They sound way better and have more volume than the cruddy internal speakers. I bought hem 1 year ago for $27 for use in my car.  overpriced Motorola EQ5 speakers

I was debating just installing a pair of after market (not real Lenovo) speakers myself, to avoid giving up my machine. I'm not recommending that, but you can find them for $30 or less. Yes, I know we're under warranty, so I didn't do it.

One last recommendation: It might be that your speaker wire is pinched in the keyboard bezel. You might try removing the keyboard, which is easy, and moving the wire around to see if you can rectify the situation. To really dig in, you have to remove the keyboard bezel.

Sigh.....     ZZ

What's DOS?
brentu

Re: W520: No sound via speakers just one click

Like many of you, I have been dealing with my w520 speakers clicking. I have even had my speakers replaced once, they then worked for 12 hours, and then the clicking started again. 

I think I have found a short-term solution to this problem.

It seems that a lot of w520 owners seem to have speakers with poor mechanical connections. I have found that by pressing certain parts of the speaker from the outside, I can reestablish the mechanical connection. I also don't have to disassemble my computer at all to apply this fix.

Here is what I suggest. While playing a song or other continuous sound, massage the area of the speaker on the side that the popping or clicking sound is coming from (for me it was the left speaker). Within about 20 to 30 seconds, I bet you will find the right spot.

Good luck. Please let me know if my solution works for you!

Paper Tape
miwster

so: an update!

I've had the same problem since I got it, tried updating drivers undlessly, no solution. Finally called EasyServ to mail it in (what I've been avoiding, since they say they "might" erase your hdd), but they just said I could replace the speakers myself (!) and they overnighted new ones to me. 

I replaced them; problem fixed. done.

I will warn, however, that "customer serviceable part" is a bit of an overstatement. Be prepared to take every single screw out of your computer, as well as the hard drive, just to get the speakers. Easy enough, but not for everyone.

Good Luck!

802.11n
ZipZap

Hi, Miwster , et al,

Thanks for your update. I really wanted to replace them myself, but the local guys did it for me. There is no way I would mail my system in for such an inane issue.

Nice going!

ZZ

Paper Tape
DavidU86

[ Edited ]

I registered on this forum to post my fix for this problem:

W520 Speaker Fix

I discovered a short on the speaker wire to the HSF

~Dr. Y

802.11n
ZipZap

That is very helpful! Thanks, Dave.

Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 412
Kudos: 1,335
Solutions: 288

Miwster,

Could you comment on your speaker replacement?  Did you find any damage to the insulation on the wiring as Dr. Y notes?

All, 

We'd like to learn more about this issue - I understand the reluctance to send in a system for several days...

1) If anyone has this speaker issue and has not yet taken apart their system and is willing to have us repair it, I'd like to try to find a volunteer or two to send in their system to engineering rather than service.  Please contact me via PM.

2) If you are ordering the speakers and fixing yourself - could you note what you find?  Photos are great.  Pinched wire, damaged insulation, broken connection at the speaker, etc.  

Thanks!

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
twitter @lenovoforums
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
802.11n
ZipZap

Mark

Hi, Mark,

The tech that replaced my speakers said that the wire had been pinched under the keyboard bezel. Before I brought the system to the Lenovo Authorized Service, I took off the keyboard and jiggled the wires. The sound came back on intermittently.

When I called the Atlanta service center they did indeed suggest I mail the system in. This is nonsensical. They should advise folks to seek service locally and/or offer to ship out the part.

ZZ

What's DOS?
neversleep

My w520 Speakers are *FIXED*. My notebook was *2* days old. The post by DavidU86 on 01-23-2012 11:56 PM, was the EXACT fix. My wire had melted, and shorted. This caused a single click during audio to internal speakers. (headphones would always work.) Removed white/blue wires, applied shrink tubing, re-assembled, and sound is restored. Lenovo manufacturing needs to acknowledge this.
Paper Tape
DavidU86

I am very glad I could help.  It made my documentation worthwhile!

~Dr. Y