Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Blue Screen Again
onyicho

Re: W520: No sound via speakers just one click

I give my W520 to my school's technology services and they change my speaker, now its working again!!

This JUST happened to me yesterday.  I scanned the Lenovo site for an hour and not only got almost nothing of value in terms of the fault, but also couldn't easily see anything leading me to who to call or where to take the machine (or  to send it) to get this fixed under warranty.

So, today I tried the community (not hoping for much).  And here I find excellent notes on exactly what the problem is, fix plans, photos,  pointers to useful documentation (even Lenovo's documentation).

So, being relatively handy with small screwdrivers, I took off the keyboard and there it was for all to see.  I thin blue and white wire clamped against the metal corner of a holding clip and "nicked" so that it was shorting onto the clamp.  So I moved it, and bound it with tape, put it all back and viola (as the say in Paris) all fixed.  No traveling to repair shops, no FedEx, no waiting for an hour to talk to some nice lady in Hydrobad, no being without the PC for days (only the 15 minutes it took to fix).

So, it really was that easy if you are careful and don't mind wielding a small Phillips screwdrivers for 4 screws.  Download the Hardware Repair Manual from Lenovo and it tells you everything you need to know.

Many thanks again for all the posters so far on this one.  It saved me immeasurable time and frustration.

Lenovo:  You really should make this an EC (engineering change) request ASAP.  This could easily happen to any W520.

All the best..    Ian D  (Florida) 

Fanfold Paper
selloween

Having the same problem on my about 2 month old w520.

During listening to music suddenly the speakers went out - and everytime i play audio files i hear this clicking sound.

Called Lenovo Customer Care and they told me that a virus is doing this - having the same problem under Linux, so this is total bull**bleep**. 

Fanfold Paper
selloween

OK - it was definitely a hardware issue - speakers were broken. 

Lenovo technician just swaped my speakers and now everything works great again! 

Blue Screen Again
talsit

I just opened my W520 up and found that the cable was getting pinched in a couple of different places.

Just to note, it seem as though it's not a problem with the speakers themselves, but rather with the speaker cable instead. When they replace the speakers, they replace the cable, thus fixing the problem.

The routing of the cable is not too good, and if not laid down correctly and taped down, the cable can move and get pinched by parts of the chassis.

In my opinion, all cable runs should be secured down so they can't move, and Lenovo should address this.

During this repair, I noticed that the some of the wifi cable runs were out of their place and could lead to the cable getting pinched too.

Lenovo, please fix this!

At the very least, when there is a known problem like this, offer an upgrade to on-site repair for the people that did not fork out the extra money. After all, we thought we were getting a well-engineered machine, if what we are getting is a half-thought out design, then the burden of fixing it should be on you, not us.

Punch Card
SonicSam

[ Edited ]

EDIT: I have had the same issue as most users in this thread. I followed David's guide and MY SOUND HAS RETURNED.

Poor design for this to actually be possible, this is insanity, but I'm glad it's "fixed".

The little clip broke while I was fiddling around, oops!

What's DOS?
limo

Hello guys, just also wanted to note that Dave's guide saved the day.

It was the same tiny microscopic hole through which the speaker cable was short-circuiting to the heat sink, and 10 cm of duct-tape insulator did the trick!

Thanx a lot, Dave

What's DOS?
nbruno

I had the same issue and can say that Dr. Y's fix solved the problem.

The left speaker wire shown in his pictures was indeed pinched and shorting. A few pieces of electrical tape where the wire bends around the HSF and in the copper clip was all it took.

For the future, here is the link to Lenovo's guide to removing the speakers:

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/product-and-parts/detail.page?DocID=PD010520

What's DOS?
gonzo320

I have also did exactly what you did, using the electrical tape.  I pulled my w520 out of the box about four days ago and the speaker wire failed within 24 hours (playing Crysis of course).  The fix posted on here seems to work so far.  Thanks Dr. Y. However, I'm curious as to whether or not the electrical tape will hold up.  nbruno, please let me know if yours fails and I will do the same.  I was advised to use heat shrink tubing.  

What's DOS?
anthonyrc

[ Edited ]

I had the same problem. The speakers on my W520 stopped working, single click sound. I just lived with it.

One day the whole machine died. I called support, they sent me a brand new one, I sent the old one back.

I've had it for a few months now... and the speakers are doing the single click thing again!!!  A whole new laptop.  I thought for sure this must be a software glitch till I read this helpful thread!

I also noticed that this new W520 runs much hotter than my first one did increasing the odds of heat damage.  So I suspect Dr. Y's solution will work.  But I think I'll have em send me a third one just so they get punished for producing a low quality hardware solution...

Also, knowing my skills, I'll mess something up worse if I try to do this myself...  based on the links you guys included.

Dr Y's Solution and How to get to Dr Y's 1st photo