Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
averkiev
Accepted Solution

W520: No sound via speakers just one click

I've got W520 with Windows 7 + all the latest drivers.

About a week ago I run into the following problem:

1) The onboard speakers don't play any sounds. Instead they produce a single click when music playback starts. And that's it.

2) Music plays fine via the headphones. So the clicking sound occurs with the onboard speakers only.

I've got all the latest drivers installed. I tried to reinstall the Conexant and nVidia driver but it didn't help.

I'm running out of ideas and would appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
averkiev

Re: W520: No sound via speakers just one click

Guru
ColonelONeill

Try an Ubuntu Live disc; see if it works there.
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1090/695/1390, 22GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
TPT1: 1839-23U, stock ICS
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
Ctrl-Alt-Del
averkiev

The same story with Ubuntu. I also tried to run PC-Doctor DOS and the Internal Speaker test produces no sound.

SO it does look like a hardware failure :smileysad:
Paper Tape
mryang

I have just recently bought a Thinkpad W520, i7-2720QM, 12/160SSD Nvidia 1000 and after 2 weeks my speakers also went klicking, but the line-out still worked. However, after 2 days of klicking even the line-out stopped working.

If I check the sound card it shows it is in operation, the "lever bar" is moving in the playback device-window. So, from the OS everything shows ok but no sound from speaker nor line-out.

If I plug in headphone-contact I can see playback device switch immediately. Running Spotfy, VLC or Windows Media Player doesn't say anything about non working sound device.

I was running Windows 7 Pro 64-latest windows updates until 2011-05-26 and then upgraded all drivers and BIOS until that date from Lenovo site. No change.

Now, running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 without any drivers expect needed for sound - no change.

I have called TECH-support they advice me to send in the unit, however, this is my working machine , can't be left without it for several weeks.

So, in my case "probably" hardware error.... unfourtunately

Marcus / Sweden

Ctrl-Alt-Del
averkiev

In my case it was a hardware problem. I took the notebook to a service center and they fixed it by replacing the speakers.

Paper Tape
miwster

I also have the same problem! I kept thinking it would be fixed by a driver. Have updated all drivers to the best of my knowledge, as well as all lenovo updates and bios as well. Still have sound from headphones, but that's all. 

and that click. ugh.

any other thoughts besides mailing it in? I too use mine all the time, can't exactly be without it for a month.

win 7 64, W520

What's DOS?
dhodnett

I also have exactly the same problem with my W520, Win7, 8 GB.

As indicated by averkiev, It looks like the only solution is to have the speakers 'replaced'.

Paper Tape
Cjspinkie

Re: W520: Skype can't find sound card!

Hi - my 2 day old W520 is giving me trouble - dowloaded skype v5.3 which still runs perfectly well on last samsung laptop..but every time I try to skype call or do a test call the sound starts then fails after anything between 2 secs and 3 minutes with error that Skype cant find computers sound card.  sound appears to work normally on everything else, but as I use skype to speak to customers globally everyday this is a major issue.  Lenovo support say it must be skype and not covered by warranty....any suggestions please - ?

Paper Tape
mryang

W520: No sound via speakers just one click - FIXED with new DirectX-driver?

[ Edited ]

As I wrote before the audio from speakers just clicked but line-out / headset worked fine. Then the line-out stopped working.

However, the sound is now back, even from speakers AND line out.

What I did?

I installed the latest DirectX-driver. Might not work for you, but now I'm happy boy again.

Download site:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=35

Marcus - SWEDEN

W520 i7-270QM, 12GB/160SSD