Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
thricipio
Location: Milky Way » Sun » Earth » United States » New York » Syracuse

Re: W520: Partition & Re-Format HDD and then Re-Install Windows 7

TH-

Thanks for confirming my understanding of your previous post.  Sounds like as long as my Seagate HDD is no thicker than 9.5mm, I'm good to go.

As for the aftermarket adapter you sent me the link for, I must say, at 1/3 the price of the Lenovo adapter, it certainly is tempting.  How does the quality look to you?  Do the materials and manufacturing seem solid?  Does it have a manufacturer's warranty?

I guess I'm a little nervous about using a non-Lenovo accessory.  But like I say, at 1/3 the price it's tempting.  Still, I don't mind paying more if I'm getting a better made product.

Anyway, thanks again for your help.  Much appreciated.  :smileyhappy:

—Thri

Bit Torrent
ThorsHammer

[ Edited ]

thricipio wrote:

As for the aftermarket adapter you sent me the link for, I must say, at 1/3 the price of the Lenovo adapter, it certainly is tempting.  How does the quality look to you?  Do the materials and manufacturing seem solid?  Does it have a manufacturer's warranty?

I have not tried the new Lenovo 12.7mm hard drive adapter at http://shop.lenovo.com/us/itemdetails/0A65623/460/6F86C47E2E014840BD6AC53CE9C2297A but a recent reviewer here says the quality isn't as good as the non Lenovo hard drive adaptors we are using.

The adapter I have and linked to is high quality.

I do have two of the Lenovo Series III 9.5mm hard drive adapters and they work well, and are of high quality.  If you plan to use it with a slim Ultrabay like you'll find on the T420S, that's the one you want.

Otherwise, get the ebay part I linked to.

Fanfold Paper
thricipio

[ Edited ]

ThorsHanner wrote:

I do have two of the Lenovo Series III 9.5mm hard drive adapters and they work well, and are of high quality.  If you plan to use it with a slim Ultrabay like you'll find on the T420S, that's the one you want.

Well, I only have the one Thinkpad (W520), and if I understand things correctly, it does not have the slim Ultrabay, but rather the standard thickness one.  Therefore, I'm assuming that the 9.5mm adapter you mention as being appropriate for the T420S, would not work correctly in my W520 as indicated on this webpage.

As such, given that I need a 12.7mm adapter and given the reviews that suggest the Lenovo one is inferior to the OEM one available on eBay, I guess I'll go with the latter.

Your good advice is not only steering me to the better product, but I'm gonna save about $40 in the bargain.

So, once again, thanks so much for the info and your guidance.  Very much appreciated.

—Thri

PS - I just placed my eBay order for the unit from nimitz.  So here's hoping!  :smileyhappy:

Fanfold Paper
thricipio

OEM Optical Drive Bay HDD Adapter arrived today and... [was: W520: Partition & Re-Format...]

To me the quality is disappointing, though for $20, not exactly surprising.

I guess my next move is to order the lenovo one.  Prior to its arrival, I'll look into returning the OEM adapter to nimitz.  Off hand, I can't remember what their return policy is.  Hopefully the lenovo one will be better.  If not, I may have to punt and just keep the opti-drive in the bay and use my bigger HDD in an outboard enclosure connected via USB 3.0.

I'll keep you posted on how things turn out.

--Thri

Guru
ColonelONeill

Re: OEM Optical Drive Bay HDD Adapter arrived today and... [was: W520: Partition & Re-Format...]

thricipio wrote:

To me the quality is disappointing,

How so? Planning on ordering one myself sometime in the future...

W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1090/695/1390, 22GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
TPT1: 1839-23U, stock ICS
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
Bit Torrent
ThorsHammer

Re: OEM Optical Drive Bay HDD Adapter arrived today and... [was: W520: Partition & Re-Format...]

thricipio wrote:

To me the quality is disappointing, though for $20, not exactly surprising.

I guess my next move is to order the lenovo one.  Prior to its arrival, I'll look into returning the OEM adapter to nimitz.  Off hand, I can't remember what their return policy is.  Hopefully the lenovo one will be better.  If not, I may have to punt and just keep the opti-drive in the bay and use my bigger HDD in an outboard enclosure connected via USB 3.0.

I'll keep you posted on how things turn out.

--Thri

I'm a bit curious about the quality statement, too.  What's wrong with the adapter you received?

Fanfold Paper
thricipio

[ Edited ]

ColonelONeill wrote: 

How so? Planning on ordering one myself sometime in the future...

ThorsHammer wrote:

I'm a bit curious about the quality statement, too.  What's wrong with the adapter you received?

Here's what I can tell you:

• The lip of the adapter, the part that would be under the top row of keyboard keys (9,0,-,=,Backspace) appears to bend downward toward the back.
  • The front cover's top edge has a little indent in it, maybe 1/24th of an inch, admittedly, just a minor cosmetic issue;
  • Also on the front face, the rightmost section of the face, there's about an inch of length along the top edge that's not quite flush to what a straight line would be; i.e., if you place the unit upside down on a flat surface, there's about an inch-long gap.  In other words, the top edge does not form a straight line from one end to the other.  The resulting gap is admittedly a small one, but I think large enough to allow more dust inside than would otherwise be the case.

Regarding this last issue, I considered and quickly rejected the idea of putting some tape where the gap is.  I mean, who wants to start taping up a brand new ThinkPad, right?

BTW, nimitz got back to me right away.  They'd like me to take pictures of the right side of my laptop with the optical drive inserted, and with the adapter inserted.  I guess the idea is that if they agree that the front face is defective, they'd pay the return shipping.  That's nice of them, but I can't be bothered.  I'll eat the shipping, hoping to retrieve at least some of my $18.99.  If I end up eating all of it, I could live with that too, though not exactly happily.

I'll be placing my lenovo order today and will post my thoughts on its quality once it arrives.

--Thri

Fanfold Paper
thricipio

On 2012.0401, zoltanthegypsy wrote:

You can download a clean MS install DVD image legally - and activate it legally using the Windows activation key that came with your laptop (on the bottom or in the battery compartment) as long as you are installing the same version that came with the machine.  Pro -> Pro, Home -> Home, etc.  You can activate either 32 or 6[4] bit with the same key.

Legal Resources for Downloading Windows 7

Here's a more direct link to a page listing more current ISO files that include SP1:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/

Cheers & Ciao,  :smileywink:

--Thri

Bit Torrent
ThorsHammer

[ Edited ]

Here are a couple of pics of mine.  One is the Nimitz caddy inserted in my W510.

Image 1

And here's the caddy pulled out. 

Image 2

As you can see, the Nimitz caddy I have fits nicely.

Guru
harrisb

I have the HDD caddy from Newmodeus which is perfection. Cost is about the same as the Lenovo caddy, but without the poor fit of that caddy. The Lenovo caddy has some foam tape on the underside which makes the caddy VERY difficult to remove and which also cause a 1mm gap on the bottom of the faceplate. Additionally, the caddy requires it to be installed with the rubber side rails which causes additional interference. I returned mine for credit and have never looked back.

YMMV

W520, i7-2820QM, BIOS 1.42, 1920x1080 FHD, 32 GB RAM, 2000M NVIDIA GPU, Samsung 840 Pro 480GB SSD, Hitachi 1TB 7200rpm HDD, WD 2TB USB 3.0, eSata Plextor PX-LB950UE BluRay

W520, i7-2760QM, BIOS 1.42 1920x1080 FHD, 32 GB RAM, 1000M NVIDIA GPU, Crucial M500 480GB mSata SSD, Hitachi 500GB HDD, WD 2TB USB 3.0