Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Guru
PeterTWJ

Re: W520 - Slight Buzzing Noise, Louder when Scrolling

I am not too sure, my cpu starts buzzing after asking Lenovo engineer to reapply the thermal paste, maybe it leaked out of the contact part? Before that, it was sweet. Anyway, I seen a Core 2 Duo laptop having similar issues (not as loud).

Happy New Year! :smileyvery-happy:

Peter
ThinkPad: W520 (4284-A99)

=============================================

Does someone’s post help you? Give them kudos as a reward, as they will do better to improve 

Mark it as solved if the solution works for you, so it could be reference for others in the future 

Dolby Home Theater v4 (Essential/IdeaPad/ThinkPad)

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/General-Discussion/Dolby-Home-Theater-v4-for-most-Lenovo-Laptops/td-p/62...

Punch Card
SonicSam

Hello,

Alright I have attempted the following:

1. Discrete Only. Stll a buzz noise.

2. Disabled CPU Power Option from BIOS (still buzzing).

After reading the rest, it seems it is normal for the W520s?

I've never went to a Lenovo Service...Place, do I simply describe the problem and refer to my warranty?

Should I refer them to a specific part, I can't pinpoint the buzz source exactly.

Thanks!

Fanfold Paper
Honeybadger

[ Edited ]

Hi there,

"Go to Lenovo Power Manager, Switch to Advanced, Global Power Settings, Scroll down to Advanced options, power management, CPU: Disabled."

this seems to have fixed the buzzing sound for me, can anyone tell me, what this setting actually does?

thanks, jan

Guru
PeterTWJ

Hi honeybadger

This is a workaround. This settings disable CPU Power Management, which your CPU will run at full speed most or all of the time and battery life would decrease. As discussion from similar posts, the buzzing issue is caused by voltage regulator regulating the voltage and considered as normal.

I wont mind the buzzing, battery life is more important for my case. :smileyhappy:

Have a nice day! :smileytongue::smileyhappy::smileyvery-happy:

Peter
W520 (4284-A99)

Does someone’s post help you? Give them kudos as a reward, as they will do better to improve | Mark it as solved if the solution works for you, so it could be reference for others in the future 

=====================================

Sound Enthusiast and Enhancement (Post comments, share mixes, etc.)

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/General-Discussion/Dolby-Home-Theater-v4-for-most-Lenovo-Laptops/td-p/62... 

Punch Card
kishy

[ Edited ]

I hear this noise, and the aforementioned 'warble', if I listen very carefully.

Trust me, you don't know how good you've got it - just came from a Dell Vostro with internal interference issues you don't even want to imagine. It's one thing for components to whine, an acceptable thing. It's another, very unacceptable, when this internal interference is presenting itself on the internal speakers.

--
12/03 W520 4270-CTO
i7-2760QM / 8GB 1333 / 64GB Crucial M4 mSATA / 500GB Hitachi 7200RPM / 2000M / FHD
Fanfold Paper
Honeybadger

Hi Peter,

thanks for clarifying! :smileyhappy:

you too, have a great day, jan

Token Ring
Chatbox

[ Edited ]

I've learnt to put on a pair of IEMs when I want a quiet work environment.  This has been a looooong term issue with Thinkpads...

Her'es a link to T41 days (http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=341)...just to show you how long this issue has been going on for.  It's almost a Thinkpad signature.

Guru
ColonelONeill

My antique Compaq laptop (233MHz CPU, don't remember which one exactly) would make a very high pitched sound continuously during standby, so I don't think it's ThinkPad specific.
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1080/670/1340, 21GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
Token Ring
Chatbox

I wonder if other brands managed to solve this, or somehow minimize the noise level...

Guru
PeterTWJ

Agree with ColonelONeill, my 5 years old Compaq Presario (C2D cpu) have similar buzzing sound as the new Core i processors.

Have a nice day! :smileytongue::smileyhappy::smileyvery-happy:

Peter
W520 (4284-A99)

Does someone’s post help you? Give them kudos as a reward, as they will do better to improve | Mark it as solved if the solution works for you, so it could be reference for others in the future 

=====================================

Sound Enthusiast and Enhancement (Post comments, share mixes, etc.)