Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
Maciej86

Re: W520 - Slight Buzzing Noise, Louder when Scrolling

Hello,

I think that my issue is very similar to yours. 

In my case I was able to establish that the buzzing/sparkling noise (high pitch) is definietely coming from the HDD (500GB Hitachi 72000rpm). This only happens when running on battery and when the power management setting for CPU management is set at either 'Turbo' or 'Maximum Turbo'. When there is no HDD activity I can only hear gentle buzizng when I put my ear close to the HDD, this noise intesity increases with HDD activity - and then there is a loud, high-pitch whining noise why e.g. copying files/launching an app. I would like to add that I already had my motherboard and HDD replaced by Lenovo Service so I don't think it is a matter of 'bad' hardware. 

Could you guys comment on that? From my personal experience that kind of noise suggests voltage problems which may cause damage but well...I may be wrong.

Is there any setting. any way to fix this probably software related issue (maybe conflict of BIOS settings for laptop run on battery with power management settings?)

Thanks!

Fanfold Paper
tomq

[ Edited ]

I got the BUZZING ISSUE too, but to me it sounds more like a static electricity spike or pop.

It happens when during audio and/or video streaming. I replaced RAM, hard drives, ran it on the power cord & battery, updated the BIOS & drivers, disabled hardware acceleration.

I am now on my second W520 and it is still happening. I can believe Lenovo is not doing anything about this. People pay up to $2000 for a well-configured W520, and they don't care. If I wanted an overpriced laptop, I would have bought one grom that FRUIT company.

I first thought it was the sound chipset or speakers (that's what Lenovo told me, we will replace the speakers), but that not the cause of the problem. I thought I was just crazy or mental, but I now see that others are experiencing the same symptoms of BUZZING, any solution yet?

Paper Tape
Maciej86

Well,

I think that I checked my laptop very carefully - and the only thing which is wrong is this HDD buzzing issue as desrcibed above - when on buttery an CPU is set to turbo (which alows CPU to go to turbo boost frequency) and maximum turbo (which fixes CPU in turbo mode). This noise in more disturbing when on max. turbo. As oher lenovo problems: shutdowns, beeping sounds after sleep mode, various buzzings etc. is seems to be somehow related to the  function called CPU power management which lenovo says should stop CPU cores when no activity on laptop. In my case, turning it off causes the buzzing to almost completely fade out. I didn't have time to check how that affects battery life (it should be lower). However, I don't need CPU settings other than low and balanced while on battery so I live with CPU management on. Shame on Lenovo for such imperfect power managment system. When playing with CPU management seting/battery CPU setting I monitored CPU frequencies using HWInfo64 - cores were working the same way with CPU managemnt on an off - have no idea how to check whether CPU management is affecting CPU cores speed (well, maybe test battery life and assume it is working). Since I suspect this whole mess with power is related to incorrect voltage values I tried to read my  HDD volatage but none of my software were able to do that so nothing for sure - i guess there is no sensor that can be read using software. 

Paper Tape
alextui

My thinkpad has a similiar problem, but noise will be minimized if you play around with your power management of CPU.

acoolme

Paper Tape
Maciej86

CPU Power Management is an on/off option to switch in PowerManager software (global settings) or in BIOS. You can play with CPU speed settings in PowerManager, within Power Plans section, Advanced settings: Low, Balanced, Turbo, Max Turbo. That is exactly what I did. 

Serial Port
adrianTNT

[ Edited ]

I got the buzzing too. (Thinkpad W520).

It is coming from the top left area where is the HDD, AC plug, I think CPU and video card too.

If AC cable is in, I can hear the buzz while scrolling a web page in Chrome.

If AC cable is out, I can continuously hear the buzzing (while on battery).

The sound is not that loud, you ca barely hear it but the cause of it is what worries me.

Laptop performs really bad for an i7 with 8GB ram and I always suspected a voltage issue on this laptop, it is very laggy even while scrolling large web page.

Punch Card
jedisurfer1

the buzzing can be multiple things. It's really bad on mine with a rotation drive in the main bay. When I switched to ssd it was much better. Try a program called throttlestop and play with some settings and see if it stops it. It probably has to do with some of the sleep states the cpu is in. If you disable some of the sleep states it might help and I didn't lose any battery life when I changed some. Some with registry, some with other settings.
Serial Port
adrianTNT

@jedisurfer1 from what you said it makes me think the buzzing appears when the computer uses too much power/voltage.