Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Guru
PeterTWJ

Re: W520 Sound Enhancement Thread

[ Edited ]

@ AMPIA

From what I know, there is no automatic switch off or power saving features in Dolby. Uninstall including existing Dolby driver and High Definition Audio driver, then reinstall Dolby again with the pdf guide.

Just follow the steps here and it should work:
http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/attachments/lnv/Special_Interest_General/12516/1/Dolby%20Home%20Theater...

@ dskw

Just follow the steps in the PDF guide after uninstalling Conexant + High Definition Audio Driver (Sometimes driver may not be uninstalled properly), the other information is outdated and complicated. dtpc_mda.rar is for Dolby Sample Content, without that, you may not be able to install content assets. (see PDF)

Have a nice day! :smileytongue::smileyhappy::smileyvery-happy:

Peter

W520 (4284-A99)

Does someone’s post help you? Give them kudos as a reward, as they will do better to improve | Mark it as solved if the solution works for you, so it could be reference for others in the future

=====================================

Sound Enthusiast and Enhancement (Post comments, share mixes, etc.)

Dolby Home Theater v4 ; IdeaPad Slate Tablet

Guru
PeterTWJ

Hi all

Once again, if you want to know how to install Dolby or getting new mix / settings, please go to this Dolby Home Theater v4 thread instead, as the information here may be outdated and inaccurate.

Peter

W520 (4284-A99)

Does someone’s post help you? Give them kudos as a reward, as they will do better to improve | Mark it as solved if the solution works for you, so it could be reference for others in the future

Punch Card
AMPIA

I already tried that installing guide a thousand times. It didnt help.

My Problem is the same as described in this thread:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Windows-7-Discussion/Win-7-Fixing-the-sound-card-power-save-speaker-clic...

But no one seemed to have an interest to help me...

Guru
PeterTWJ

@ AMPIA

I would do my best to help out. Does the problem persists when using Windows Default or Conexant driver? Try updating all the Critical and Recommended update through Control Panel, Lenovo - Update and drivers.

Peter

W520 (4284-A99)

Serial Port
drewwesley

The Realtek High Defintion Audio Driver for Windows 7 package on the ThinkPad W530 Drivers and Software page works well for the ThinkPad W520.

My results:

• I'm hearing better/louder sound than I ever have on the W520.
  • Speaker Properties now features a simple Dolby tab with an on/off button and simple EQ selections (movie, music, game) instead of the Windows 7 audio enhancements.
    dolby.png 
  • The audio output now switches automatically from speakers to non-USB headphones during media play (native Windows drivers required manually changing tracks in VLC, refreshing YouTube videos, etc. before switching output).
  • VOIP conversations are much clearer on both ends - the built-in microphone works very well in Skype and the recipient hears me well, even when several feet away.
  • Better sound in games.
  • No more sound limiting oscillations the plauged the Conexant drivers/software. If you have Conexant SmartAudio, you'll see what I mean if you listen to this track starting at 0:13.
    --- 
  • However, Device Manager still shows 'High Definition Audio Device' with Microsoft Windows drivers..
    hdad.png 

I'm assuming the installation just applies Dolby enhancements on top of native Windows drivers.

ThinkPad W520 (4276-38U), i7-2720QM, 1600x900 HD+, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro 1000M, 256GB Samsung SSD 840 Pro, Dolby Home Theater v4 - Conexant HD Audio
Guru
PeterTWJ

Hi drewwesley

Could you try the Dolby driver also for a comparison? under my Dolby Home Theater v4 sig. As I have tested the Dolby Home Theater v4 on IdeaPad Y480, the package provides great sound EQ - Movie, Music, Games. But they don't allow you to customize your own EQ. Maybe I would try the Realtek driver also if I have more time. :smileyvery-happy:

Peter

W520 (4284-A99)

Serial Port
drewwesley

Hi Peter - I remember trying your solution before experimenting with the different ThinkMix versions. I'm wondering if it's possible to install the Dolby software on top of the W530 Realtek drivers. W520 FTW!!! Now, I'm just trying to find a suitable vendor that provides 3-prong ac adapter before I call this a winning system.
ThinkPad W520 (4276-38U), i7-2720QM, 1600x900 HD+, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro 1000M, 256GB Samsung SSD 840 Pro, Dolby Home Theater v4 - Conexant HD Audio
Guru
PeterTWJ

Hi drewwesley

I am unsure also. I tried to install Dolby software on top of W520 Conexant drivers, but failed. However, Conexant driver seems poorly developed, therefore I would just install the Dolby itself.

Peter

W520 (4284-A99)

Guru
PeterTWJ

Hi drewwesley

Could you try to see if you could access Realtek Control Panel from Control Panel? If not, which means your previous Dolby installation is not completedly uninstalled, not because of the Realtek driver is working.

I tried to uninstall Dolby and uninstall High Definition Audio Driver again to get rid of leftover Dolby and install Realtek, it failed. If trying to install Realtek through Device Manager, it will trigger an BSOD.

Peter

W520 (4284-A99)

What's DOS?
jaydpiii

My internal speakers are working fine.

My question involves external speakers.

I have a pair that connect via USB.

When i used them in my previous W500, they worked fine.

When I plug the USB into my W520, I get no sound through the external speakers?

Any idea's?