Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
802.11n
biznatch

Re: W520: Speedstep not working properly (on battery)!!! (BIOS v1.26)

soko11 wrote:
And at all: We don't use Throttlestop to overclock. We use it to get out of the 800MHz stuck problem!

Yes this is the issue.  I don't think the throttling is a requirement.  Besides, if you can't get full speeds on battery (ie. the same speeds you can get on AC), Lenovo should have very clearly advertised that.  You should be able to get the same speedstep and turbo boost on AC and on battery.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
W520 i7-2720QM | 32 GB RAM 1333 MHz | FHD 1920x1080 | Quadro 1000M | Windows 7 & Ubuntu 12.04
Crucial M500 480GB mSATA + 2 x 1 TB Hitachi Travelstar 7200 rpm | BIOS 1.38
802.11n
biznatch

[ Edited ]

xhu12 wrote:

biznatch wrote:

xhu12 wrote:

soko11 wrote:

Hi Sarkle,

Afaik the issue does apply to all W520. But you're right: Just install Throttlestop, set it up and all issues (on AC and battery) are gone as long throttlestop is running...

Soko 

Hi I have seen people suggesting this for about 2 months now, so is there any site effects? It sees to be a fairly easy thing to fix, I wonder why lenovo still haven't done it already. Running the BIOS 1.30 but it doesn't seem help at all.

Well for one thing Throttlestop is Windows only, and I do most of my high performance processing under Ubuntu.  Maybe there is an Ubuntu program that does the same thing, I haven't spent too much time looking, but I'd much prefer the solution at the BIOS level...no idea why it's taking so long.

Hi,

How do you manage to use speed stepping in Ubuntu? I my case, I could only run the CPU at a high clockspeed, its fast, but it also drains the battery fast, only had 2.5h battery life. Besides, how do you use the Quadro 2000M under ubuntu, without changes in the BIOS setting? There is only this bumblebee tool, which is sort of home made optimus support in linux, I have trouble to get my GPU working properly in Ubuntu, I'd appreciate some hints here. Thanks!

Speed step and turbo boost seem to work almost the same in Ubuntu as in Windows: everything works fine on AC but I'm stuck at low speeds when booting on battery.  I use i7z to monitor CPU speeds.

The graphics took a little bit to figure out, and in the end I just use the Intel integrated graphics.  The Nvidia graphics will work under Ubuntu, if you set the BIOS display settings to discrete and install Nvidia additional driver.  I found that the BIOS settings were reset to Optimus after each restart though.  Also, I don't want to use the Nvidia graphics all the time, under Ubuntu or Windows.  So I set the BIOS settings to Optimus, but then Ubuntu had graphics problems.  But I found that if I uninstalled the Nvidia drives in ubuntu then you can set the BIOS to Optimus, Ubuntu will use the Intel graphics, and Windows will use Optimus, which is exactly what I want.  I don't do much graphics intensive anything, and even if I did, it would likely be in Windows, so I'm happy using the Intel graphics in Ubuntu.  I haven't had any problems with the Intel graphics in ubuntu, eg. I get all the effects with compiz.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
W520 i7-2720QM | 32 GB RAM 1333 MHz | FHD 1920x1080 | Quadro 1000M | Windows 7 & Ubuntu 12.04
HDMI
xhu12

biznatch wrote:

Speed step and turbo boost seem to work almost the same in Ubuntu as in Windows: everything works fine on AC but I'm stuck at low speeds when booting on battery.  I use i7z to monitor CPU speeds.

The graphics took a little bit to figure out, and in the end I just use the Intel integrated graphics.  The Nvidia graphics will work under Ubuntu, if you set the BIOS display settings to discrete and install Nvidia additional driver.  I found that the BIOS settings were reset to Optimus after each restart though.  Also, I don't want to use the Nvidia graphics all the time, under Ubuntu or Windows.  So I set the BIOS settings to Optimus, but then Ubuntu had graphics problems.  But I found that if I uninstalled the Nvidia drives in ubuntu then you can set the BIOS to Optimus, Ubuntu will use the Intel graphics, and Windows will use Optimus, which is exactly what I want.  I don't do much graphics intensive anything, and even if I did, it would likely be in Windows, so I'm happy using the Intel graphics in Ubuntu.  I haven't had any problems with the Intel graphics in ubuntu, eg. I get all the effects with compiz.

Thanks! Well for me the whole point to get a laptop with Nvidia graphics card is that Nvidia provide great Linux driver support. The integrated graphics would not be enough for my requirement, since I often need some heavy OpenGL 3D apps under linux. Well hopefully there will be linux support for the optimus soon, since it has become a more and more common feature for laptops now.

802.11n
biznatch

xhu12 wrote:
Thanks! Well for me the whole point to get a laptop with Nvidia graphics card is that Nvidia provide great Linux driver support. The integrated graphics would not be enough for my requirement, since I often need some heavy OpenGL 3D apps under linux. Well hopefully there will be linux support for the optimus soon, since it has become a more and more common feature for laptops now.

The Nvidia graphics should work under Ubuntu, did you install the drives?  In Ubuntu, go to System --> Administration --> Additional Drivers, then install the "NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver" which should say [Recommended] beside it.  Restart and set graphics in BIOS to Discrete, turn off Optimus.  Once back in Ubuntu, in Additional Drivers, it will probably say that the driver is installed but not activated, but from what I've read, that is not true, it is in fact activated just not reported properly.  In fact you will see the Nvidia entry under System --> Preferences, once it is installed.  The only problem is that on every restart you have to set graphics in BIOS back to discrete and turn off Optimus, I don't know why it keeps resetting to defaults.  If you don't change these BIOS settings correctly, you will have graphics problems in Ubuntu.  I can't remember exactly, I think it would load into Ubuntu properly, but I was having problems like couldn't drag windows around, some windows get cut off, and other things like that.

Guru
harrisb

[ Edited ]

The only problem is that on every restart you have to set graphics in BIOS back to discrete and turn off Optimus, I don't know why it keeps resetting to defaults.  If you don't change these BIOS settings correctly, you will have graphics problems in Ubuntu.  I can't remember exactly, I think it would load into Ubuntu properly, but I was having problems like couldn't drag windows around, some windows get cut off, and other things like that.

Select in the BIOS to disable OS detection for Optimus support. The GPU selection will then stay set as required.

W520, i7-2820QM, BIOS 1.42, 1920x1080 FHD, 32 GB RAM, 2000M NVIDIA GPU, Samsung 840 Pro 480GB SSD, Crucial M500 mSata 480GB, WD 2TB USB 3.0, eSata Plextor PX-LB950UE BluRay

W520, i7-2760QM, BIOS 1.42 1920x1080 FHD, 32 GB RAM, 1000M NVIDIA GPU, Crucial M500 480GB mSata SSD, Hitachi 500GB HDD, WD 2TB USB 3.0
SCSI Port
jeebus

someotherguy wrote:

I'm sorry for the delays in solving this issue and I will stay on top of it until we get the answers.  Please don't expect daily updates but I will post when I have news to share.

someotherguy,

I know you mentioned no daily updates, which is understandable, but weekly updates would be great. I know you mentioned there is a fix in the works but it would be nice to have an approximate timeframe for a fix or at least be informed on what progress is being made.

Again, call me cynical but frankly I'm a little concerned that 6 months from now we'll still be hearing "still working on it" so I want to ensure this thread stays alive. I'd like to have confidence in the Lenovo team and just trust there will be a prompt fix but the past few months on these forums have made me a bit wary of what to expect. Please let us know of any news you have, thanks.

T520 4239-CTO | i5 2410M
W520 4270-CTO | 2720QM | 16GB RAM | Quadro 1000M | BIOS 1.30 | PwrMgr 3.62
Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

jeebus,

The issue is still very much alive.  The BIOS team investigated and found a bug where the EC (embedded controller) mistakenly thinks there is a power consumption warning condition, after cold-booting on battery.  So now the EC team is working on it.  Not being on the BIOS or EC team myself, I don't have a schedule or a timeframe for a fix but I do feel that progress is (finally) being made on this particular issue - at least the right people are finally looking at it.

As for the general issue of performance on battery, there's some good news to report there as well.  A BIOS version that is being tested internally allows for full turbo boost on battery, as long as the discrete GPU is not being used.  If the discrete GPU is being used, then the CPU is throttled back to a lower frequency.  There simply isn't enough battery to do both dGPU and turbo boost.  The Optimus user can dynamically select whether to prioritize dGPU or not by using the nVIDIA control panel app "manage 3D settings".  I have personally tested this and it works great.

Totally understand your cynicism and frustration about W520 power management issues - Lenovo needs to do a better job testing these things.

Punch Card
teleshoes

posts that are this information-rich and candid are rarely full of such good news! thanks for the awesome update, someotherguy!
Punch Card
soko11

Thanks someotherguy,

Thats really good news and we're desperately waiting for the new BIOS. 

Soko 

W520 (4282-W17 i7-2820QM 32GB 2xSSD 1TB)| T62p | T41p
Fanfold Paper
m_garfield

Wow, very good news! Many thanks for your efforts!