Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
ibmford
Accepted Solution

W520 TurboBOOST not working on battery or after updates.

[ Edited ]

1) Intel Turbo Boost does not work when running on BATTERY (all BIOS versions).

This is working as designed. The W520 at maximum CPU rate on turboboost can draw at or near peak power from the battery pack and so turboboost is disabled while on battery.  Normal function of turboboost on AC

2) Intel Turbo Boost does not work at all with BIOS updated to 1.25(1.24).

Download "Intel Turbo Boost Technology Monitor" to see if your W520 is being lazy.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3052&DwnldID=19105&lang=eng#help

Lenovo is working on an updated BIOS to ensure proper operation of Turboboost on the W520

Intel Turbo Boost is not functioning properly in some(most) W520 models but probably many people do not realize Turbo Boost is not working properly.

Problems observed with power management:

1) In BIOS source code the value for minimum input power requirement(watts) in BIOS is set too high. When system detects power input below this set value it disables Turbo Boost such as running on battery power alone.

2) When system is in sleep mode and power source changes, the system partially recognizes this and does not change operation of Turbo Boost (does not enable or disable it, leaving at its last state). for example you can fool the system by putting the laptop to sleep while AC adapter plugged in (Turbo Boost status ENABLED) after you unplug the power adapter, when you resume the system on battery, turbo boost remains enabled while running on battery. In contrast, if you unplug the power adapter, and switch to battery operation turbo boost gets disabled, then if you put the system to standby and later plug it to a wall outlet (AC adapter) while the system is still sleeping and then wake system, the system does not re-enable turbo boost upon resume.

================original post below============

W520 with 2720QM

Updated some thinkvantage software and Bios from 1.06 to 1.25(actual reported is 1.24 after updgrade).

since then I can't go past 2.4Ghz speed reported by Intel turbo boost monitor and CPU-z.

i'm running Super PI and Intel Burnin Test with various configrations.

Lenovo Turbo Boost + in power manager is enabled and plugged in 170W adaptor during the tests.

Thinking about downgrading BIOS to 1.06. 

Any setting I should check before trying the downgrade?

1. Intel turbo Boost does not work at all with BIOS updated to 1.25(1.24):
  2. Intel turbo Boost does not work when running on BATTERY.
Thinkpad W520, 2720QM, Crucial SSD M4
Punch Card
ibmford

Re: W520 TurboBOOST not working after updates.

YES!

downgraded BIOS back to 1.06 and after the reboot Intel turbo boost monitor already showing CPU speed spiking to 3Ghz.

BIOS version 1.25 (actaul 1.24 rported) is not enabling TurboBoost.

There's sometinhg shady going on here :smileymad:

Did Lenovo deliberately cripple TurboBOOST due to some "undocumented" thermal design problem? Himmmmmmm...

802.11n
wditters

Strange. On my i7-2920XM with Bios 1.25 turboboost works fine ...

Lenovo Premium Business Partner
X1 Carbon Touch | i7-3667U | 8Gb | 256Gb | HD 4000 | 14HD+ | WWAN | W8.1 Pro RTM x64 |
Token Ring
KongMD

Is there a Turbo Boost driver I have to download somewhere? I don't see any Intel Turbo Boost drivers in services.msc. I also have the 1.25 bios and the 2720QM, but the Turbo Boost Monitor gadget shows absolutely zero activity above 2.20GHz.

Punch Card
ibmford

There isn't any turbo boost driver, but you can download intel turbo boost monitor that shows CPU tubo boost activity.

Make sure you're plugged in to the AC adaptor (135watt or above) and then run some CPU intensive program ( i recommend Super PI) as it only uses a single thread/core which can show max CPU frequency such as 3.2Ghz. And my CPU frequency shoots above 3Ghz immediately after starting Pi calculations with BIOS version down to 1.06

Punch Card
ibmford

@wditters or anyone else who installed BIOS version 1.25 on W520:

Can you please confirm your actual BIOS version is reported 1.25 and not 1.24.

I downloaded and installed BIOS version 1.25 and after reboot mine reported version 1.24.

You can also confim BIOS version when you push the blue thinkvantage button (it will display on top)

gan
Topics: 4
Kudos: 110
Solutions: 108

Seems like everyone that used the 1.25 update actually got 1.24.

Here is from my computer that says 1.24 as well:

C:\>wmic bios list brief
Manufacturer  Name                 SerialNumber  SMBIOSBIOSVersion  Version
LENOVO        Default System BIOS  XXXXXXX       8BET44WW (1.24 )   LENOVO - 1240

Since my computer works fine i don't worry about this and i'm sure Lenovo will eventually publish 1.25 or update the info if the latest version actually should be 1.24.

-gan

Punch Card
ibmford

Well, I thought everything is fine, untill I realized my CPU was being "lazy".

Right after I downgraded Bios to version 1.06, my turbo boost is working again.

I bet there are many others in my situation who have not yet realized that their turbo boost is not working.

If we weren't going to run these machines on Turbo, what the heck we're lugging all this weight around for?

gan
Topics: 4
Kudos: 110
Solutions: 108

[ Edited ]

My Core i7 2820QM peak at almost 3.3GHz using BIOS 1.24 (the one that according to Lenovo is 1.25).

-gan

Token Ring
KongMD

[ Edited ]

I ran Super PI to 2 million digits on my W520. My CPU usage didn't move over 12% total, and the Turbo Boost Monitor gadget didn't move an inch. My laptop is on AC power, in a custom power scheme that never throttles CPU or the SSD. If what ibmford's saying is right, and judjing from other W520 owners' responses, it looks like a problem with the latest 1.25 BIOS and the i7-2720QM.

Is there another burn-in program I can use to test, just to be sure? I find it odd that it used up so few CPU cycles.