Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
ldelossa

W520 and Nvidia Application on startup

Hey guys,

Something kind of spooky is going on here. It seems like on some startup my Nvidia command center starts and keeps a tray icon on my task bar. Sometimes it does not. I noticed significantly faster boot times when the Nvidia icon is not present.

I understand we have optimus technology which may decide no applications are configured to use the GPU right now so lets not load the control app? Is this how this works? I took a look in bios and OS detection is set to OFF by default, but to my understanding this is only alows the OS to SHUT OFF optimus if it's not used. I'm no longer dual booting and only use windows so Optimus knows it can run regardless -- is this also correct??

If the driver works and switches the GPU off when GPU intensive apps are not on without the control panel app loading I would like it not to load as my boottime is much quicker.

Thanks for your help guys! 

-Louis 

tanujhanda
Topics: 3
Kudos: 80
Solutions: 65

Re: W520 and Nvidia Application on startup

Hello Idelossa

I do not know if it really help you.

Kindly uninstall the Nvidia driver and software from control panel, restart the system and install it again.

Please check after this if it resolves the issue.

Best Regards,

Tanuj

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution".! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Guru
ColonelONeill

Re: W520 and Nvidia Application on startup

[ Edited ]

I don't have anything NVIDIA in my startup or running usually. No services, no startup entries. Switchable graphics works fine without, even the "Run with graphics processor" command.

Starting the NVIDIA Control Panel starts the NVIDIA Driver Service, and after saving your changes, you can kill all NVIDIA processes and things will still work fine.

W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1090/695/1390, 22GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
TPT1: 1839-23U, stock ICS
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase