Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
sfogdden
Accepted Solution

W520 memory optimization

[ Edited ]

Hi everyone. I just ordered my W520 & joined the community. Finally figured out how to post (thanks Cleo_Lenovo) and have a question:

I just read the W510 memory optimization post ( Optimizing memory in W510 - which slots to use ) and wonder if it's also true for the W520? I read both the user manual and the maintenance manual and neither mentions the need to pair the memory or placing them in certain slots depending on size as the 510 article does.  Someone at tech support said she looked at the memory installation video and said slot optimization doesn't matter. I'd love to take her comment at face value, but right now the answer seems to change depending on who I ask and which article I read. Don't you love it?

Also, I wonder if the the W520 can actually take advantage of the faster 1600 memory or does it merely 'support' it. My ordered memory configuration is 1-4GB (1333) stick. I intend to buy another 4 GB & two 8 GB sticks for a total of 24GB (running Premier Pro, After Effects, & Photoshop).  Considering the 1600 memory cost is very little more than the 1333, and a 4GB stick is about $23 or so, it doesn't seem like a big deal to upgrade and have matching memory - if it makes a difference.

Thanks for all the great information on the forum!

Steve

Bit Torrent
ThorsHammer

Re: W520 memory optimization

I don't have the answer but I sure dig the area you live in. Love Crested Butte.

eos
Token Ring
eos

[ Edited ]

I think you will find that the slot layout and paring is the same as the W510.

Checkout this post

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/W-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/Installing-dual-channel-memory-in-W520/m-p/438...

Yes, it can use the faster ram. There have been various posts about the speed increase. I suspect all the memory will run at the lowest speed if you mix them.

I ordered crucial ram, but it gave random BSoD, so sent it back and got Samsung with the same part number as the originals and had no problems.

802.11n
ZipZap

[ Edited ]

Hi,

The W520 with the quad core processors all support the higher speed of the 1600Mhz RAM. If you want your system to use dual channels, then pair the DIMMS, as EOS suggests.

You might consider getting Corsair 1600 16GB

This is assuming you have a QM or XM processor. That way, you can potentially go to 32GB at some future time.

I'm with you and Thor. Just love Gunnison, Durango, Crested Butte etc etc. Yes, I am a mtn. and road biker! Don't mind summiting the 14ers either, not to mention that Black Canyon.

Punch Card
sfogdden

Thanks everyone for the assistance. My system has the 2860QM, so I will go with the faster memory and the Corsair looks like it combines quality & price. And Gunnison is an awsome place to live! :smileyvery-happy: