Do you mean 
HDMI
xhu12

Re: W520 shuts off intermittently, no BSOD or shut down

correction, the fan speed was 3030 RPM

HDMI
xhu12

It happened again today, the computer was on AC power with the battery plugged in. Temperature shouldn't be an issue, it was around 40C and I was working on some desktop office stuff. I went to the bathroom for about 5min and when I was back to my desk, the laptop was turned off, when I pressed the power button, it turned back on immediately, however, the menu popped up ask you whether you want to run windows7 normally or in safe mode, obviously there was a abnormal shut down before. How often did you guys experience the random shutdown? So far it happens weekly to me, got the computer for about 3 weeks now and it happened 3 times to me so far.

Blue Screen Again
boeing82

It was happening to me a few times a day... until they replaced the RAM.  Now it doesn't happen anymore.

HDMI
xhu12

I contacted lenovo tech support today. After the computer passed all kinds of hardware and memoy tests, they think it might be a jumping circle somewhere on the mainboard and I will send it in and they will replace the mainboard. So I will see how it will workout.

HDMI
xhu12

[ Edited ]

Dear all,

It took me over 3 hours to read this thread from page 1 to here, why? because I am experiencing the same random switch off problem, let me summarize my case:

1. occurs about 1/week (I got the machine since about 3 weeks and it happended 3 times so far)

2. It always happens if the computer is under either very light load of in idle, i.e. if you leave the machine unattended such as bathroom break, or surfing with a browser.

3. I performed all kinds of stress test, system diagonsis, memory tests etc, no error was found.

4. All drivers and bios are updated to the most recent version.

But the at least in my opinion, the shocking news in my case is that I don't not have an "old" t400s, but a new W520, which is the currently highest end of all thinkpad series. I paid nearly 2000$ for that machine. I mean as long as it does not switch off randomly, I love this computer, it's cool, fast, confortable to use and has outstanding battery life time. I think at this point, after reading through this long thread, it is really embarrasing for Lenovo. It obviously did not do to enough to learn from the mistake it made to prevent it happend again. When I called the tech support, after they knew I already did all kinds of updates and ran all different diagosis, all they can offer is a mainboard swap. But I am not sure I would like to do that. It seems that they just offer you something to do, and they cannot even tell you why it would help. Besides, I will risk to get my computer damaged or other problems as described my many other users in this thread.

The W520 just came out for sale in Feb. 2011, not even 6 month ago. If I see in tis thread, that Lenovo cannot even get the "old" t400 series problem solved in year 2011(when was t400 first came out for sale? 2007?), why would I trust them the to solve the same problem on the 5 months old W520? Besides, the random power off is not a t400/t400s specific problem, the X series, SL series also have this problem.

Since my model is fairly new, I wonder how many othe w520 users also have this problem. I another thread, the thread initiator claimed that the problem is caused by faulty memory and solved by replacing the memory, I doubted that this is my case, after running all kinds of memory tests for hours. Besides, all faulty memory cases I experienced so far, the compunter does not just switch itself off, but rather showing the blue screen or frozen.

My thinkpad model: Thinkpad W520, 4276-2QU

Any suggestions than swap the mother board? Next to the S/N there is a "5/11", May 2011 perhaps? If thats the production date, I wonder whether is there any newer version of mother board I could swap with :smileyhappy:

Any suggestions what to do in my case?

Best regards

Moderator Note: Split from T400s thread.

HDMI
xhu12

Hi, I am still hesitating to send my computer to repair. So when your computer was having that problem, how fast did the shutdown itself go? Did your computer just shutdown instantaneously in a sec. or did it freeze for 5-10 sec. and then switched itself off?

Fanfold Paper
AlexMcHugh

[ Edited ]

I'm also getting these random restarts/shutdowns and have been getting them for two months now - I plan to take my laptop into the nearest service center  to get the RAM properly diagnosed/replaced later this week.

The theory about it being memory related makes a lot of sense. It also relates to low or nil utilisation.

Basically, the optimus graphics driver system allows switching from the built-in graphics to the NVIDIA graphics based on various factors (mostly which apps are active that might benefit from the more powerful NVIDIA graphics.

NVIDIA's graphics chip has it's own memory, but the built-in graphics chip shares system RAM as required. So if there is a faulty memory chip and the computer switches to (or is already) using the built-in graphics then the system could restart/freeze/shutdown (depending on what  you have configured in "Startup and recovery" under advanced system settings.

Blue Screen Again
boeing82

It shut down instantaneously--as if the battery were removed.

Blue Screen Again
migcc

W520:BSOD and sudden shutdown could it be caused by a failing HD (C4 reallocated event count) ?

[ Edited ]

Hi

I recently purchased a W520 in a Ebay US Shop (I live in Spain/Europe).
  Everything is fine except that I have too many BSOD or sudden shutdown, compared with my other Laptops (Dell Latitude with XP, Dell Latitude with Vista).

This is happening with the laptop being idle or with low load. (temps below 45 Celsius degrees).
  I have tried also disabling Nvidia, Optimus and run all the available tests, with no difference in the behavior.

The only thing that I have found is with S.M.A.R.T feature (HD Tune Pro demo). For the C4 counter (Reallocated Event Count) has crossed the threshold. Now is 205 (in other HD is 0). The problem is that it is continuously increasing. More than 10 in the last 24 hours. Using Think Vantage Toolbox  (Diagnostics, Test a Device,..) it always passes all the tests.

I have two questions:

[1] This S.M.A.R.T warnings signaling a hypothetical HD failure, could explain the origin of the BSODs or sudden Shutdowns. I algo have seen and increase in the counter, without Windoes 7 showing BSODs or shuting down. 

[2] 205 errors in last 3 weeks (10 in last 24 hours) could mean that the HD is going to fail  ?  As I said I have compared with other HD (Eg a 5400 rpm , 500GB 2.5 HD) and this counter (C4) is 0

I hope you can help me. Thank you

Regards

Miguel

Guru
ColonelONeill

Re: W520:BSOD and sudden shutdown could be caused by a failing HD (C4 reallocated event count)

Sounds like drive damage. Other symptoms include random freezing, lots of lag, and weird noises.

Backup your files immediately, and get a new drive.
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1090/695/1390, 22GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
TPT1: 1839-23U, stock ICS
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase