Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
ToddPMan

Re: W520:BSOD and sudden shutdown could be caused by a failing HD (C4 reallocated event count)

[ Edited ]

I'm in this same boat... There are three threads on this that all seem similar. I'm posting to all as I don't want to miss any great suggestions and offer my experience as well.

Bit Torrent
ThorsHammer

Re: W520 shuts off intermittently, no BSOD or shut down

I experienced 4-5 BSOD's and a complete power off in the course of about 24 hours about three weeks ago.  What changed since then?

I turned off using hardware acceleration in the browsers I had installed.

No issues since.

Punch Card
ToddPMan

I'm using Google Chrome. I do believe the browser was running (almost always is) during each crash, but I don't see any hardware acceleration options to turn on/off. Also, from others on this thread it seems that this is occurring even with zero software running. Thanks for the info ThorsHammer.
HDMI
xhu12

I am not quite sure we all have the exact same problem, because all the crashes I have had were not BSOD, just frozen for about 10-15 sec.ish and then powers off itself. The system did not/could not make error dump during the crash.

The only thing in common is that all crashes I have had were when the computer is under low load or in idle, several times, I returned from a bathroom break and realized my computer was frozen and then shut-down or it was already powered off.

Interestingly, when I put my computer to heavy usage, i.e. play video games over many nights where the CPU and GPU were often under full load for over 6 hours straight, I never had crashes or any problems, that's what puzzles me the most because I thought if there was a hardware component is faulty it should show crashing or other signs of failure if you put most of your hardwares under full load, but it has never happened so far. As far as I know if people had a faulty mainboard with a defect power circuit, they will have random shut-offs more often than once per week, but rather 2-3 times per day, and also they often had problem to switch the computer back on once it shuts itself off. Also the random shut-down occurs very abruptly, like posted in the long thread about the older T400 series, in my case, the computer definitely did not loss the power instantanuously, its looked liked rather the system ran into something where it does not know what else to do than power off.

The thread about harddrive might be interesting, because the w520 owner who started the thread also mainly had random shutdown or BSOD when his laptop was under low load or idle, which is just like my. But however, I am a little skeptical whether the HD is the reason for that. I suspect there might be something with the Optimus driver because the crashes happends only during the time when the computer has to swtich a lot between the intel and nvidia. If you use your nvdia straight, i.e. during gaming the computer seems to be doing fine.

Punch Card
ghost1410

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I read Your post and what can I say I have exact the same problem, Windows 7 x64 with SP1, all updates included , plus new drivers and software from lenovo website...I bought the machine 2 weekes ago since than I had 3 times, unexpected restars I found in WIndows log the same errror code (41)  Kernel Power error, in every case system was idle  without any stress did

Did You find any solution for this ? I'm thinkin to unistall lenovo power drivers maybe this is cousing this errors... Do You have any ideas ??

Regards

Tomasz

Punch Card
ghost1410

[ Edited ]

I think this hard drive tread is very interesting I found in Windows Event logs this kind of Error: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\DR1., and it's repeading few times. My machine was idle in all 3 times restarts, but before restart I always find this kind Critical Error: Kernel Power event id 41. I checked on my old machine to compare logs Toshiba Tecra M9 and there was no errors in Windows Logs at all...

Im not sure if this two errors are realted but I'm but the error always occure when system is idle. Please check Your Windows Logs maybe You can find something similiar?

[UPDATE 01.08.2011]

I found out that

"The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\DR1"  is related to pen drive or external hd so it's not causing any problems with resets. And it's not related to Kernel Power 41. 

Tomasz

Punch Card
ghost1410

[ Edited ]

I read all availble threads about this strange issue and this  is my summary info:

- hard drive ST9500420AS is a poor quality check the user reviews : hd opinions on newegg

I check it my self and on HD Tune Pro in Health tab I have an warining about C4 Reallocated Event Count - which is often prefail of HD symptom-> this can definitly cause restars in idle mode( I have my machine for 2 weeks and already HD is in bad condition...)

- some users report they replaced their RAM and that helped, from my experince You can check Your RAM many times and not find any errors , but especially in dual channel mode You can find your machine restaring without a rison after replacing the ram it can be ok

- some users talked something about Optimus but in most cases the restart are in low system usage or idle so unless You have connected second Display , machine is already with integrated GPU so there is no switching in this place

- a lot of users and me myself find before restart of the machine this Critical Error: Kernel Power 41 , which is causing the immedate reboot of the system without BSOD so in my opinion this is some kind of issue with power management driver itself or one of  the hardware drivers

I checked RAM it's seems ok , I have newest version of BIOS and up to date drivers , now I will try to replace hard drive and see if this help.

Regards

Tomasz

HDMI
xhu12

[ Edited ]

Thank you for the summary! looks like there are more and more people experiencing this random shut-off problem. Unfortunately, I have not found a solution so far. I hope this problem can be solved without too much extra efforts. I did check my ram and they seem to be fine. Lenovo will ship me the new harddrive in a few days and I will find out whether the harddrive replacement would help, however, I am not too optimistic about that.

At the moment, I think the power management driver is the most possible candidate, I have to say my w520 has very impressive battery life if you consider what hardwares are in the machine, it has signifcant longer battery life time than most other laptops with equivalent hardwares, so obviously, the the machine save power weherever it can, this may cause trouble if there is a bug in the driver I think.

Punch Card
ToddPMan

[ Edited ]

ghost1410: I am also seeing the Event 11 Disk: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\DR1, in the Windows Logs. They don't correspond to times preceding the Event 41: Kernel-Power error which always results in a shut-down, but they are there a few times in the last few days. I have not run HD Tune Pro, but will see what that tells me as well.

[Update: Does not look like HD Tune Pro can do the health checks on my Raid 1 Configuration]

I have not had a crash now since 7/29 at 7:04 PM, so this is the longest the machine has been up and running. Of the five crashes this past week, I've only been at the screen for one of them and when it happened, everything did freeze up before shutting down, but I'm not sure if the HD indicator LED on the frame of the monitor was lighting up continuously like "xhu12" said theirs was when it froze.

I hope to get the full replacement machine from Lenovo no later than end of next week. In the meantime, I'm happy to try and troubleshoot with everyone as I don't have a high degree of confidence that the new machine will be any better.

If it is a HD issue, I may just ask Lenovo to comp me for the HDs inside and replace with something better. In theory, since I'm configured for Raid 1, I could just swap one out at a time and let the new one rebuild from the old one.

Punch Card
ToddPMan

Interesting, I found a TON these errors in the Window Logs: Event ID: 55 Ntfs: The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume Windows7_OS.

I have 1369 of these in the last 7 days and 34 in the last 24 hours! Again, possible pointing to the HD's as the problem?