Bit Torrent
ThorsHammer

Re: W520 shuts off intermittently, no BSOD or shut down

I hate seagate drives.

HDMI
xhu12

Bad news guys!

I had a random shutdown today. So the system was running error free for about 6 days. I am not quite sure it is hardrives fault, but interesting, when I first git the HD and run program HDD health, the "health bar" was 100% now it is only 63% and the HD tune pro gave warning since day 1 due to the reallocation event.

I am not sure whether these seagate HD just break down so fast or there is something else wrong with my computer. Anyone any suggestions?

Punch Card
EsotericUser

You might be having some serious bad luck with hardware failures. Hope you get it fixed soon..I know it sucks..
Punch Card
JazJon

[ Edited ]

I just got my new W520 a few days ago.  Mine keeps randomly shutting off as well.  It's as iff someone yanks out the battery and power cord at the same time and it "dies"     Is this how it acts for you?  I didn't have a chance to read through all 10 pages of this thread.   It seems to happen when I pick it up and move it on to my lap most of the time.  (or just using it, randomly does it)

W520

4270CT CONFIGURED SYSTEM

(low end i7, 6GB Ram)

Do I have a lemon?  (should I exchange it?)

Is it normal for the battery to feel loose when inserted?

(It has some play/rattle when you move it in/out even though it's clipped in)

To top this off I also have a speaker balance problem :smileysad:

http://forum.lenovo.com/t5/W-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/W520-Sound-Enhancement-Thread/m-p/502011#M17811

This is my first non-HP laptop in years, and I'm not impressed so far, :-(

What's the best way to contact support for RMA?

HDMI
xhu12

[ Edited ]

Hi JazJon

My was randomly shuts itself off since I got it,it sometimes hangs 10-15 seconds and then shuts off itself and sometimes it shuts off in a fraction of a second. Mostly occurs when computer is in idle or low load, never happend so far when I was running some heavy duty apps.

I have mine W520 about 6-7 weeks, I realized the shut off problem about 1 week afte I got it. I was not sure whether I should send it for repair since it occurs not very often, 1-2 per week. and I thought it may be a software issue i.e. drivers eyc. But now I think I will send in for repair. It is unbelievable that a nearly 2000 dollar business laptop will need to be repaired after a few weeks.

To your question about the battery: yes mine is loose too, but it seems to be normal, many of my co-workers have thinkpads from mant different series, T series, R series, Edge etc, I checked their laptops, all of them, no matter 6- or 9-cell battery, they are all loose and giggles around slightly. But it hasn't caused any troubles so far according to my friends and co-workers who use thinkpads.

My speakers are not that outstanding but they seem to be fine, I haven't realized any off-balance problem. A friend of my just got a HP pavillion dv6t with i7 quad core, but his batteries both 6 and 9 cells falls out sometimes by itsself. And another friend of mine is struggling with her new dell xps also some random shutdown problem. So I guess there are always something in any brand of laptop. However, the other 2 machines cost a few hund dollars less than a W520.

Back to our random shutdown problem, I couldn't get my random shutdown problem solved so far, we may both got lemons, so if you still can swap it with a new one, I would do it if I was you. Good luck!

Punch Card
JazJon

[ Edited ]

It just happened again moments ago! (lame)   My laptop was siting on my couch (on, up and running)    I sat down next to it, went to pick it up to place into my lap and BAM!  (instant OFF)    I'm for sure going to RMA this sucker.   What is the fastest way to RMA Lenovo's? Do I need to call a phone number or can it be done through some chat session or self help web page? EDIT I found it, run auto detect in Internet Explorer here: http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/product-service/default.page? (took me quite awhile to figure out how to sumbit a ticket)

I forgot to add, it doesnt remain off once it's cuts out.  After a couple seconds, it turns back on, you see the Bios post, and then windows asks if you want to start normally or not.

And yes I agree ANY company has their quirks with these types of issues.   I was just hoping the extra money I dumped into this Business class workstation would equal better odds.

Punch Card
ToddPMan

@ALL: Hey guys. Just a quick update. It has been three days since I recieved my new machine. (Note: I did a HD Tune Pro test on the new Seagate HDs that it came with and they were showing reallocated event count warnings). I have not had a crash yet. Have had the laptop in and out of docking station, took a 600 mile drive sitting next to me in passengers seat, put to sleep and back from sleep multiple times. Installed all the Lenovo and Windows 7 updates as well as most of my other software. Three days is probably too early to tell, but I'm hopeful this new machine is the one... I do plan to still replace the Seagate HDs with WD, in fact, I have them right here and will likely do that later this week. I did notice my newer machine came with the 1.27 BIOS, my other was running 1.26.

HDMI
xhu12

New bios version again? that's interesting... Many people complained about the turboboost that not working all the time, especially after a computer wakes up from sleep or changing from battery to AC mode. I am not quite sure how often you can flash your bios chip, I upgraded already 3 times since I got this machine in the hope that it would fix the random shutdown problem, so far it has been disappointing...

Token Ring
Wendel

If you're losing all power then it seems a hardware failure. Since it seems these episodes happen when laptops are picked up, there could be a weak trace/cold solder joint on a PC board. With the laptop on a hard surface (table) and running, gently press all over the keyboard/bezel area. Then try squeezing top to bottom (like when you pick it up) and see if the flexing of the case causes the problem.