Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Token Ring
Chatbox

Re: W520 shuts off intermittently, no BSOD or shut down

boomer4d wrote:

ThorsHammer wrote:

And unfortunately we are coming up on the one year anniversary of this problem. Sad really.

Not sure if "sad" is the word I would use to describe it.

Here's your laugh for the day though.

2011 Computer Reliability Reports: Lenovo, Asus On Top

Sad is still how I would partially describe this.    Given this issue, and a few others...there's no indication that Lenovo will/can/willing to admit/fix/address the them.  And yet, Lenovo comes out on top?

Are hardware and system designers, engineering, researchers not taking it seriously?

Punch Card
martinpr

Hehe, Lenovo must be selling fewer W520s than we thought! :smileysurprised:

Punch Card
boomer4d

Chatbox wrote:

boomer4d wrote:

ThorsHammer wrote:

And unfortunately we are coming up on the one year anniversary of this problem. Sad really.

Not sure if "sad" is the word I would use to describe it.

Here's your laugh for the day though.

2011 Computer Reliability Reports: Lenovo, Asus On Top

Sad is still how I would partially describe this.    Given this issue, and a few others...there's no indication that Lenovo will/can/willing to admit/fix/address the them.  And yet, Lenovo comes out on top?

Are hardware and system designers, engineering, researchers not taking it seriously?

The words I would use to describe the situation would probably get me banned from the forums...........well maybe if ANYONE WAS ACTUALLY FOLLOWING THS COMCAST-LIKE DEBACLE OF CUSTOMER SERVICE STUPIDITY.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
bigdfaust

I can somewhat understand if they can't figure it out - sounds like a very complicated needle in haystack issue.  I just am surprised they are still moving these out the door.

It would be even better if I knew that they were giving up on this issue and award all W520 owners with a new W530 or whatever model comes out next as a swap - then they can do the due diligence to refurbish the swapped W520s.

Right now, I haven't seen evidence that it is worth it for me to send my unit in.  Sounds like swapped boards and everything else is not rectifying the problem.

Punch Card
raksan

Yeah at least my board replaced and still case not solved, waiting to test after cpu replace. Oh what a laptop!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
W520 (4276-38U ) | i7-2720QM | Quadro 1000M | Bios 1.36 (Last bios support 1600mhz ram!!!)
Dell E5520 | i5-2520M | Intel HD 3000
Punch Card
sethwm2

I have the same issue.. it is not the hard drive, it is not the RAM, it is not the CPU it is not the motherboard I have windows 7 Pro Thinkpad W520 Product: 4284AQ2 16GB of ram.. I have run Prime 95 for a week straight I have run Furmark and memory checks for a week. I can play a game for 6 hours straight.. no issues.. I can go days or weeks without an issue... then out of nowhere I will get a kernel-power freeze.. the mouse freezes and I have to hold the power button and power it down and start it up.. I changed out the stock 500GB drive with a Corsair Force GT 240GB drive but I had this problem before the new drive as well. Everything is up to date.. ALL Lenovo utilities and the BIOS are up to date.. all Windows updates are installed. Latest Nvida and intel graphics drivers... Microsoft Security essentials installed. no viruses or malware. Screen shot of "Computer Managment" window: http://oi41.tinypic.com/sbr09v.jpg

Please Lenovo pay attention to this issue. I own my own computer repair/networking company and when anyone asks what laptop to get I tell them to get a Thinkpad. I paid a lot of money for my W520 and I really feel that the issues with these machines should be corrected. Please sombody help! 

Punch Card
boomer4d

[ Edited ]

bigdfaust wrote:

I can somewhat understand if they can't figure it out - sounds like a very complicated needle in haystack issue.  I just am surprised they are still moving these out the door.

It would be even better if I knew that they were giving up on this issue and award all W520 owners with a new W530 or whatever model comes out next as a swap - then they can do the due diligence to refurbish the swapped W520s.

Right now, I haven't seen evidence that it is worth it for me to send my unit in.  Sounds like swapped boards and everything else is not rectifying the problem.

It's the lack of communication that bothers me more than anything else. It appears that after some involvement in this thread Lenovo has pretty much abandoned it and is doing little or nothing about the issue. Of course that could be completely inaccurate, and honestly I hope it is, but until I see evidence to prove otherwise I have to assume that they have said to heck with it or essentially it sucks to be a W520 owner at this point in time.

Punch Card
sethwm2

I really wish that I could talk to someone higher up.. I am tired of the "Check you memory/motherboard/hard drive" run around. OBVIOUSLY there is something WRONG BIOS wise or Driver wise.. or maybe it is just a hardware design issue.. any way you want to play it I would really like some confirmation from Lenovo on this issue! 

Fanfold Paper
vrnsn

Hi all. Few weeks ago,my company replaced my laptop with a new w520. I have had 5-6 shutdowns since then. So, I think the problem must be because of an integrated part of the system that comes with every chassis. So, I am hopefully going to return this to get a mac. I could not think that I would leave thinkpad one day, but i think that day has arrived. 

Punch Card
sethwm2

Is there a moderator that watches these posts or a person from Lenovo that has posted in that past that I can speak to directly? How would I get in contact with a higher up person past tech support?