Re: W520 shuts off intermittently, no BSOD or shut downj

For the record, my idle VID seems to be 0.760
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1080/670/1340, 21GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
Ctrl-Alt-Del
bigdfaust

harrisb,

Not sure what figure to mention there.  Here is a screen shot from CPU-Z, CPU tab.  If you need a screenshot from a different tab, just let me know.

Capture.JPG

Ctrl-Alt-Del
bigdfaust

harrisb - oh also, you had asked about Power Scheme.  In Power Manager it's High Performance, which equates with Maximum Performance in the Windows Control Panel.

Token Ring
Chatbox

Re: W520 shuts off intermittently, no BSOD or shut down

@harrisb  Wasn't trying to conclude anything.  As stated, "guess".  

Reading idle VID from within Windows can give a few different values (from the same system)...Windows has too many background processes and services, for one.  And two, users probably have a variety of software installed already, which could affect the actual idle VID to be a bit higher than normal.

Mine seems to fluctuate between 0.776 to 0.786 mostly, but have seen it gone down to 0.771 on some rare occasions.

Is there any other way you can recommend so that a VID value can be gathered outside of Windows?

Guru
harrisb

[ Edited ]

Yes, I am aware of that, but the issue appears that the VRM is lowering the voltage to the CPU too low and then it become unstable and crashes. The idle VID on my system is between .771 and .776. I've never seen it any lower once things stablize. A VID of .760 or lower almost always eventually gets a shutdown which would seem to point to a miscalculation for the voltage required based on the VID signal. The fact that changing motherboards repeatedly on the same system would inferentially bear out that supposition since the CPU is just reinserted in the replacement board. That said, I've no idea why the problem would exist since the CPU is making the request of the power management and it is only responding to the request based on predetermined calculations.

W520, i7-2820QM, BIOS 1.42, 1920x1080 FHD, 32 GB RAM, 2000M NVIDIA GPU, Samsung 840 Pro 480GB SSD, Crucial M500 mSata 480GB, WD 2TB USB 3.0, eSata Plextor PX-LB950UE BluRay

W520, i7-2760QM, BIOS 1.42 1920x1080 FHD, 32 GB RAM, 1000M NVIDIA GPU, Crucial M500 480GB mSata SSD, Hitachi 500GB HDD, WD 2TB USB 3.0
Punch Card
raksan

I would like to report I have core VID as low as 0.745, and even after mobo replaced it's still this low. My laptop is not stable and it has been (~ one month) in the proccess for CPU replace. I couldn't be more happier living without a working laptop! Thanks Lenovo!

P.S. it's not just one month:

- self diagnostic 2 months

- shop diagnostic + cleaning dust :-D (which they told me it solve the problem) 1 month

- shop said it has replace mobo, but I found out the mobo serial I have before and after repalce is the same :-D, sending back... 0.5 month

- back to shop for diag....ram, harddisk and finally mobo replace...., 0.5 month

- self test by me and sending back to shop... 1+ weeks (for same testing on ram, harddisk)

- in the proccess of CPU replace (1 month and counting)

- my time to google for solution and forum browsing....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
W520 (4276-38U ) | i7-2720QM | Quadro 1000M | Bios 1.36 (Last bios support 1600mhz ram!!!)
Dell E5520 | i5-2520M | Intel HD 3000
Token Ring
Chatbox

[ Edited ]

"  - shop said it has replace mobo, but I found out the mobo serial I have before and after repalce is the same :-D, sending back... 0.5 month"

Where/how did you locate the the motherboard serial number?  If you're referring to the system's serial number, that will always be the same.  During motherboard replacement, the tech will set the serial number of the new board to what is shown on the sticker at the bottom of the case.  This is done for warranty purpose, so that your warranty entitlement doesn't need transferring.

Getting back to the issue.  So, you've had one systemboard replacement, and one CPU replacement, carried out at different time.  But the issue still wasn't resolved.  Did you request for a new system replacement?

Punch Card
raksan

[ Edited ]

Chatbox wrote:

Where/how did you locate the the motherboard serial number?  If you're referring to the system's serial number, that will always be the same.  During motherboard replacement, the tech will set the serial number of the new board to what is shown on the sticker at the bottom of the case.  This is done for warranty purpose, so that your warranty entitlement doesn't need transferring.

Getting back to the issue.  So, you've had one systemboard replacement, and one CPU replacement, carried out at different time.  But the issue still wasn't resolved.  Did you request for a new system replacement?

Yes I'm refering to the serial number somewhere I see in the bios. But be the second time my mobo replaced, the serial number has actually changed.

The CPU has not replaced yet, and yes I have those replacement done and being done at different time. Now, I don't have system for testing, so I can't comment about it. If the issue isn't solve, do u think I could ask a whole system replacement? And where do I ask, the shop I'm refering to is just "Authorized Service Partner".

*** I just got a call from the shop they have just order my CPU a few days ago. I took my laptop there since 17/Feb/2012. The part is expected to arrive in 4-6 weeks. Oh god, another miserable waiting time!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
W520 (4276-38U ) | i7-2720QM | Quadro 1000M | Bios 1.36 (Last bios support 1600mhz ram!!!)
Dell E5520 | i5-2520M | Intel HD 3000
Fanfold Paper
paulcridland9

[ Edited ]

i5-2520M with integrated grahpics (T420)

Core VID levels between 0.771 - 0.781

cpu-z.png

Lenovo T420 (4177CTO) - i5 2520M w/ integrated graphics - 8GB Kingston Ram - M4 64Gb SSD (Primary) - Seagate 500Gb (UltraBay)
topmahof
Topics: 37
Kudos: 368
Solutions: 239