Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
akodo

Re: W520 shuts off intermittently, no BSOD or shut down

Hey I'm wondering if anyone on here could give me some help.

So after I had got my laptop back form Lenovo and found out the issues remained I called the tech support line to report my findings. They took the info and said that they'd escalate the issue to a supervisor.

After a week of waiting without hearing a thing I called in to see what's up, I was told they were still looking into  it and they couldn't tell me anything specific at the time.

It's now been 2 weeks since I let them know things weren't fixed and I've yet to hear anything. I'm stuck with a laptop I can't use on battery and it's kinda ridiculous IMO... As much as I'd like to based on the rest of the laptop I simiply can't recommend Lenovo products due to how poorly this situation is being handled.

Does anyone know who I can contact to even just see what's the current status of my support ticket? Some transparency would go a long way in my eyes.

Token Ring
Chatbox

@Akodo,

Call up tech support again, and this time, tell them that you would like to file a complaint.  Tell them to provide you with the number of Lenovo Customer Care (the tel. number is region / country specific).

From there, you should then be able to really escalate it, or request for a full system exchange because their tech support hasn't been doing what they're supposed to do, tech-"support!!".

No customer should have to chase tech support's productivity.

What's DOS?
bdpratt

Thought I'd mention my experience, as the SSS issue with my W520 now appears to be resolved.

At worse, it shutdown every 2-3 hours. Occasionally it would go 24 hours without a shutdown. It was more frequent when plugged into the docking station. Been dealing with this for 6 months.

I tried bending the memory grounding tabs, but that didn't help.

From the factory, the laptop was installed with 4GB under the keyboard, and 4GB under the bottom. I moved the 4GB from the bottom to the unused secondary slot under the keyboard. The bottom slots are now empty.

This appears to have fixed the issue for me. The laptop has now been running 4 days straight without shutting down.

njb
Blue Screen Again
njb

I has shutdown issues and sent it away to the repair centre. Works great now.

If you get a working one out of the box you will be very pleased. It is a great machine but it is a bit dissappointing that they send faulty computers out of the factory and gave me all the hassle of SSS and sending it back.
Token Ring
Chatbox

njb wrote:
...[If you get a working one out of the box you will be very pleased.] ...

LoL...well yes...kinda.  

But to honest, if anyone does get one working out of the box, it's how IT SHOULD BE, it's WHAT'S EXPECTED.

What's DOS?
bdpratt

Update: since moving the memory to the under-keyboard slots, the SSS issue is much better. However, it still experiences SSS occasionally. The issue has improved from 2-3 times per day to 1-2 times per week. It's good enough to get work done without constant fear of losing my work, but not good enough to be satisfied. I'll be having it worked on when I can spare the laptop for a few days.

Fanfold Paper
count

We are facing the same issue as mib in our company.

Two W520 are shutting down after 30 second freeze. After spotting the problem we made tests with three different docking stations and adapters to find the source of problem. W520 is the problem. Our service partner sends one those W520 back with "no issue found" status.

I tried to rub RAM door with fleece (static electricity), but everything is ok. I run all testing tools and stress tests I found, but I am not able to reproduce this issue on demand. Now I moved both 4GB RAM modules under keyboard and I'll wait for some time. I have disabling the CPU Power Management and Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) driver update as spare tests.  And I'll be happy if there is an official solution to this annoying problem.

Paper Tape
vukicevic

Ugh.  I've been dealing with this for a while and finally called Lenovo last week.  I have next-day onsite service, and so they couriered over a new motherboard same day (which was listed as a "Servicable Used Part") and a tech came over the next day to install it.

Everything looked great, and I walked the tech out of the office... and then picked up my laptop, and it promptly shut off.  Just instant shut off, no static sound/garbage on screen like normally used to happen.  I figured ok, loose battery contact, it wasn't fully locked in.  I put it in the dock and ran FurMark and did a memtest -- no problems, temperatures stayed fine in FurMark, and thermal throttling kicked in like it should.

I took the laptop home though, and the instant-shut off continued to happen very frequently.  Eventually, the laptop stopped turning on -- I'd hit power and the power button would just start blinking and that's it.  (I tried the various suggested fixes for this situation, but nothing worked.)

Now waiting on another service visit, with another motherboard -- also listed as a "Servicable Used Part".

Does anyone know if the W530 suffers from the same intermittent shut off issue?  I assume it's largely the same motherboard layout and chassis, so unless it was just an issue in the manufacturing run, I'd suspect it to have the same problem...

802.11n
biznatch

[ Edited ]

vukicevic, whatever happens, please keep us updated! It seems like Lenovo usually can't replicate the problem and rarely gets to see it in action, so hopefully having a tech see it for themselves will be useful.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
W520 i7-2720QM | 32 GB RAM 1333 MHz | FHD 1920x1080 | Quadro 1000M | Windows 7 & Ubuntu 12.04
256 GB Crucial M4 mSATA + 2 x 1 TB Hitachi Travelstar 7200 rpm | BIOS 1.38
Paper Tape
vukicevic

Unfortunately, they still won't be able to see it in action -- the laptop was totally dead.  The tech's here now, putting in yet another new motherboard (also a "Servicable Used Part").  I have never been able to reproduce the glitchy shut-off issue on demand.  But We'll see what happens with this new motherboard.

I also found out that we have a W530 at work here that I can grab; I'll probably take it and give it a spin for a few weeks and see if similar problems happen or not.