Support in other languages: 
HDMI
xhu12

Re: W520 - various SSD issues

ibmford wrote:

Recenlty NVIDIA 8600M GPU on my macbook pro burned, it was a manufacturing fault by NVIDIA but APPLE has replaced my motherboard after 3 years of use without any hassle. I command and salute APPLE for taking responsibility. They didn't try to pass the buck and they didn't try to blame it on NVIDIA. They took full responsibility for their product.

Interesting, my girl friend has a macbook pro and when she first got it, she had some unexpected random shutoff issues and at that time, the laptop was about 6 weeks old. Apple replaced laptop and gave her a new macbook pro and it works fine until today. Now my 6 weeks old thinkpad w520 also suffers from the same problem, but Lenovo clearly told me there won't be any replacement, although I started to realize the problem since week 2, well now have to send it to repair -  after just a few weeks I unpacked the laptop. As I stated else where, the return policies set by a company correlates with the expected quality of the product at least in some extend. I do believe that these differences in policies reflect differences between how Apple expects its product quality to be and how Lenovo does.

Fanfold Paper
friday_phil

Re: W520 Bricks Drives if you set HDD password

Lenovo seem to be just flicking/ignoring this issue. I reported my w520 failure separately, and the mod just moved it to "Various SSD Issues", which appears to have already concluded to the effect:

"Even though SSD's use standard SATA II or SATA III interfaces, and every other manufacturer in the industry supports standards, not specific drives, we're only going to support a couple of HDD's that we have specified."

This is ridiculous. I have tested the same failure in my w520 against three different drives, from three different manufacturers, two of them were SATA III drives, and one SATA II. On all of them, the w520 CANNOT handle basic security of setting an SSD password. I'll do Lenovo's job for them & verify if the slow drive it shipped with also fails under the same condition, & advise. Please Lenovo, come out of your cave & fix this.

802.11n
huberth

Re: W520 SSD Issues

[ Edited ]

friday_phil wrote:This is ridiculous. I have tested the same failure in my w520 against three different drives, from three different manufacturers, two of them were SATA III drives, and one SATA II. On all of them, the w520 CANNOT handle basic security of setting an SSD password. I'll do Lenovo's job for them & verify if the slow drive it shipped with also fails under the same condition, & advise. Please Lenovo, come out of your cave & fix this.

Come on Lenovo, you can do it !

wditters

[ Edited ]

friday_phil wrote:
1) Recently received new w520, after happy with w500 for a few years. Also bought new OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD. 2) Put new drive in, set the HDD password. w520 will never be able to access the drive again. Will not accept definite, known password. 3) Suspecting problem with OCZ drive, put it in w500. Still no access possible, even though w500 has always worked with similar Crucial C300 SDD WITH PASSWORD. 4) So put working Crucial Drive WITH PASSWORD from w500 in w520. Will not recognise password, so cannot use drive. Put same drive back in w500. Works OK. 5) Got another OWC SSD (SATA 2 drive, not SATA 3, which apparently Lenovo do not support), set password in w500, works. Put same drive in w520. Will not work. Clear password in drive using w500. w520 will then access drive OK. My testing indicates two problems with w520 BIOS evidenced by the above: 1) With more than one drive type and manufacturer, w520 BIOS will corrupt the drive if you set the password using the w520. 2) Even if you set the password correctly using another machine, and verify that works OK,put same drive in w520 and it WILL NOT accept HDD password. I and expect many others need to be able to secure HDD passwords for work. w520 is Lenovo's premium work machine. Please escalate to get this BIOS issue resolved & advise.

I think blaming Lenovo for this might be a little bit too quick off the bat here.

The issues with Lenovo HDD passwords bricking an SSD drive have been known OCZ for a few years now and has been identified by OCZ as a "known issue that they are working on" . That goes for both older OCZ drives (Vertex Turbo II) and newer drives (Vertex 3 etc). This very same issue now has popped up with the new OWC SATA3 drives as well, and may very well have to do with the Sandforce controller, not the Lenovo BIOS.

The Lenovo HDD password setting mechanism is fully SATA compliant, and has always worked fine on any regular HDD and any Intel SSD, any Samsung SSD and the current Renice X3 SSD drives. I have tested this in various x20 models on the Intel 510 and the Renice X3 now and can confirm that. My personal W510 is currently fitted with an Intel 510 240Gb (HDD1), Intel X-25M 160Gb (HDD2) and Renice X3 120Gb (HDD3) and they all have both MASTER and USER password set. Not a single issue.

I have tested and returned an OCZ Vertex 3 240Gb and an OWC Mercury Extreme SATA3 for this particular issue. I mentioned earlier that OCZ confirmed this to be a known issue, but for OWC this was the first time they were made aware of this. The OWC SATA2 SSD drives that I tested by the way worked fine with the USER/MASTER password setting.

Therefore, at least for the time being this really does not look like it's a Lenovo issue ... so please take this into account when responding to this thread.

Lenovo Premium Business Partner
X1 Carbon Touch | i7-3667U | 8Gb | 256Gb | HD 4000 | 14HD+ | WWAN | W8.1 Pro RTM x64 |
Fanfold Paper
friday_phil

Not sure you fully ready my post, and you appear to be flying the flag where this may well be a compatability issue that has elements on both sides.

Both OCZ & OWC drive passwords do work with other machines, and from the reading I have done, most of the problem cases OCZ have been having appear to be with Lenovo hosts. And yes, they are offering to RMA drives, which is very good customer service. Lenovo still sem to be holding out saying "nothing we support"

1st, you only mentioned a w510 that you have actually tested here. Have you tried a w520? I expect they are the same BIOS, but they are different hardware & chipsets, etc.

2nd, your point about pointing to Sandforce controllers. So why does my Crucial C300, which has completely different controller, firmware, etc share the same problem with my Lenovo. Shall we blame the Flash, which is probably the only other common component, other than the w520?

Compatability issues like this require both sides to get in & take a look. Standing back & saying "we have a configuration that can work means its not our problem" doesn't help and credit to them, its not what OCZ, etc are doing even though their drives work with passwords with other hosts.

So again, would be good if Lenovo could look into this matter constructively.

802.11n
wditters

friday_phil wrote:

Not sure you fully ready my post, and you appear to be flying the flag where this may well be a compatability issue that has elements on both sides.

Both OCZ & OWC drive passwords do work with other machines, and from the reading I have done, most of the problem cases OCZ have been having appear to be with Lenovo hosts. And yes, they are offering to RMA drives, which is very good customer service. Lenovo still sem to be holding out saying "nothing we support"

1st, you only mentioned a w510 that you have actually tested here. Have you tried a w520? I expect they are the same BIOS, but they are different hardware & chipsets, etc.

2nd, your point about pointing to Sandforce controllers. So why does my Crucial C300, which has completely different controller, firmware, etc share the same problem with my Lenovo. Shall we blame the Flash, which is probably the only other common component, other than the w520?

Compatability issues like this require both sides to get in & take a look. Standing back & saying "we have a configuration that can work means its not our problem" doesn't help and credit to them, its not what OCZ, etc are doing even though their drives work with passwords with other hosts.

So again, would be good if Lenovo could look into this matter constructively.

Small addition to your points:

1st: My apologies. I meant W520. I have tested all drives on a production W520 with various BIOS levels from 1.06 to 1.26

2nd: I just tested a C300 and that works properly as well on my W520 so I am a little bit puzzled. The Renice X3 I have after investigation also contains a Sandforce controller, but works fine. At this point I am inclined to say that with the exception of your personal issue with your C300 the issue is limited to OCZ and OCW (with OCZ confirming this as a known issue that they intend to solve)

Let it be clear, I am not saying that this should not be of interest for Lenovo, I am merely saying that we should avoid putting all the blame on Lenovo :-)

Lenovo Premium Business Partner
X1 Carbon Touch | i7-3667U | 8Gb | 256Gb | HD 4000 | 14HD+ | WWAN | W8.1 Pro RTM x64 |
Paper Tape
mcheiron

Hi wditters,

have you ever tried the power-on and hard drive passwards (or any combination of it) with an Intel 310 mSATA on the W520? I am not willing to risk that at the moment but need to get better safety than the Windows password.

Thanks, MCheiron 

Fanfold Paper
friday_phil

Thanks wditters,

Take your point, but don't completely agree with conclusions. Interestingly, all three drives I have tested DO work with passwords in my w500. If I set the password on the w500, it all works OK, but the w520 will not access it. Put it back in the w500 & all OK.

One drive (the OCZ) I set the password using the w520. That drive was never to be heard from again.

If Lenovo are having any trouble repeating the problem, I would be willing to supply my C300, but would like if they would replace it so I'm not minus a drive. 

Fanfold Paper
friday_phil

Could we get some acknowledgement that Lenovo are at least working on this issue?

Seriously, the worlds top-end performance laptop is not the even close to what it pitches itself as if it can't work reliably with SSDs. Especially SSD's which do work with other laptops, including other Lenovo's.

Can someone from Lenovo please chime in that this is acknowledged and is being, or will be resolved? 

802.11n
huberth

W520 "Airbag Sensor" BIOS diagnostics waiting 40 seconds for the Intel 510 SSD to "spin down"

[ Edited ]

friday_phil wrote:

Could we get some acknowledgement that Lenovo are at least working on this issue?

Seriously, the worlds top-end performance laptop is not the even close to what it pitches itself as if it can't work reliably with SSDs. Especially SSD's which do work with other laptops, including other Lenovo's.

Can someone from Lenovo please chime in that this is acknowledged and is being, or will be resolved? 

I agree.

I also would like an acknowledgement that Lenovo is working on the issue where the "Airbag Sensor" BIOS diagnostics is waiting 40 seconds for the Intel 510 SSD to "spin down" during a warm re-boot, (the BIOS not realizing that it is dealing with an SSD).

Should be a simple fix. 

It has been reported over 3 months ago.